Author Topic: Something I bought for Maxwell that I think you might be interested in.  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
Hi Folks. 

I heard that some of you were concerned that the Big Paws Only site didn't have large enough collars for your big boys/girls.  I have had trouble finding giant supplies so I resorted to getting things made for him.  For example.  Good luck buying a 4-5 foot long dog bed.  You possibly can find them out there but get ready to pay for it.  When I ordered my Lazy boy chair I asked that I order the matching fabric.  I ordered two yards extra, bought a zipper, two huge bags of stuffing, and a nice rope trim and made Maxwell a really nice huge bed that coordinates with our living room.  The fabric was really expensive but you don't have to buy the super pricey fabric if you don't want to.  I had a sewing machine.  It's all straight sewing and I asked my mother in law to do the zipper for me as I'm not that much of a seamstress.  It looks great and Maxwell now has a bed fit for a king.

Second.  Below is a photo of the custom collar I got made for Maxell.  This was a bit trickier.  I looked up leather in the yellow pages and finally found a craftsmen who would make a collar for Maxwell.  He did it out of his home.  He could dye the leather any color you want and I got this color to match Maxwell's fur.  He even stamped Maxwell's name on it and also made me a matching traffic lead.  The collar is two inches thick and is heavy duty thick leather.  The buckles are sturdy too.  This collar will last for Maxwell's whole life I believe.  It's tough.  I paid $30.00 for the collar and 15$ for the matching lead.  (Canadian)  I found that the nylon collars were dinky looking on Maxwell and his neck was so huge and his fur hid his collar.  He looks very handsome with his collar on and it made a great birthday present for him.  I got the idea from the Beethoven movies as Beethoven had an awesome collar with his name on it and I wanted one too.  Hope this gave you some hope.  Sometimes we have to get creative with our dogs and look outside of the pet shops for supplies.  The pet shops cater to small, medium, and large dogs and definitely not giants.

Offline Mokeymunster

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Something I bought for Maxwell that I think you might be interested in.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 10:48:13 am »
For collars there is one company now catering to the giants.  Rogz dog collars have collars that will fit even the biggest dog.  Every time I go to the store, i gaze at the huge collar i have picked out for my future boerbel.   ::)

They have really nice designs, I am a design on the collar kind of person. 

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 12:28:41 pm »
That is a really nice looking leather collar! Wow!

BabsT

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 12:50:13 pm »
www.blockydogs .com are collars made for molossers and bull breeds...She also makes cutsom beds for dogs that are indestructable ....I have 3 beds from her and Zero is getting a collar for his first bday