Author Topic: My rescue journey into New Orleans  (Read 15578 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
My rescue journey into New Orleans
« on: September 03, 2005, 06:46:28 pm »
My husband and I were abl eto obtain a special permit to enter Jefferson Parish today. We are now identified as "essential personnel" required for the rescue efforts!

Anyway, I had received several reports of pets left behind before the storm and their families still weren't able to get back to check on them.

Luckily, my husband is a former hooligan 'cause we had to break into a couple houses. We were right outside of New Orleans. It really looked like a war zone. There is so much damage, it looks like the cities got bombed. We could not drive down several streets because large trees still lay across them or whole power poles were lying across them.

I could go on and on about the destruction, but you all have seen it on TV. It is as bad as you have seen and it is all over.

We rounded up 4 cats and 2 bichon Frises. The dogs were left in a pet taxi for a week. They were covered in feces, have urine burns all over them, overgrown nails and are very matted. The poor male is burned so bad from lying in his own waste for so long his stomach and penis were bleeding while we bathed him.

I will have before and after pictures of them for you tomorrow (hopefully). They are both snoozing comfortably on Oasis' big bed right now. They look much better, but still need to be clipped and pedicured. They've had enough stress for one day. I think I'll just slap some balm on their bellies and let them sleep for tonight.

If I hear of more, I'll be going back tomorrow or Monday.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

nickerbokker

Re: My rescue journey into New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 06:49:19 pm »
god thank you!  you are amazing.  i really can't comment on everything right now....cuz i have so many thoughts about it i can't phrase it properly, but hey im nicki right lol.....anyway .....thank you sooo much for helping out!

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 06:56:25 pm »
Jeanne, When I read about people like you and your hubby it restores my faith!!! God Bless you! It makes me forget about the ugliness that they keep showing for awhile.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 07:14:49 pm by Rocky's 'Rents »

Offline vizslamaniac

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 07:07:03 pm »
You guys are truly angels! I am overwhelmed by the magnitude of the devastation I have seen, just on TV.  My heart is with you. Please keep us posted.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 07:09:19 pm »
Wow!  Bless you for rescueing and helping!  You're amazing!  :)  We'll be thinking of you next week.

Jessica

awo

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 07:12:42 pm »
Thank god there is someone there for the animals.  At least when your talking about animals you aren't picking up animals that are looting the stores and calling it a racial thing.  If it were up to me, I would say screw all the people and go after the pets, they are so much better after all.  Yes, I know this is not the view of all people, just don't freak out, this is why we get to vote.

awo

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 07:33:07 pm »
Thank you all for your kind words. What I saw today will be with me for a long time. I'm just really glad we could help.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 07:39:05 pm »
Jeanne, you and your husband are beautiful people. Bless you for helping rescue these innocent creatures that have been left behind. I wish I could be there to help myself, but I am pretty much powerless from so far away so thank you for doing what you are doing. Keep it up! And keep us updated!
RIP former BPO

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 08:22:48 pm »
Jeanne, I will simply repeat what everyone else has already said.  You are truly amazing and an angel sent from heaven.  God bless you for the work you are doing.  It truly warms my heart to hear that there are people out there that DO care about the animals and are doing something about it.

Please keep us updated.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 08:44:22 pm »
Jeanne...Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

To find some spot of sunshine and good in the midst of all that ugliness is a gift to all of us!  You deserve a special spot in the hearts of all animal lovers...and you have it in mine!!!

Thank you!!!

Mari, Cowboy and Chester

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 08:56:17 pm »
Oh, those poor animals.  You & your husband are heros in my eyes!  Thank you so much for being willing to go & help!

Saying prayers for you & the animals,

Laurie

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 08:56:51 pm »
Jeanne, you're amazing and I am sure you saw that in the eyes of the fur-babies you saved.  Please let us know if there is anything we can send you to help out.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline BrutusMummy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 08:59:08 pm »
Great Job! Thank you for helping those poor animals.  We were watching the news cast on the horrible things happening down in New Orleans from our home in Canada.  We were horrified to see dogs curled up on top of houses alone and without help.  It's nice to see some good in a awful situation. Thanks again! :)

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 09:02:49 pm »
To repeat what what everyone else has already said...THANK YOU!!!! You and your husband are amazing people, and it brought tears to my eyes that there are peole out there who are doing all they can! Again, thank you. It has lifted a load off of my heart to know that the animals are being thought of as well.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 09:19:08 pm »
God bless you & your hubby...Thank God you were able to save the lives of these furry babies!...Are there more people out there rescuing the abandoned animals? :'(