Author Topic: My rescue journey into New Orleans  (Read 15663 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: My rescue journey into New Orleans
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2005, 10:24:06 pm »
All I have to say is Amen! You are a modern day angel.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2005, 08:04:42 am »
Jeanne, Do you think the people will be back to try to get their animals? Do you need any financial help for food and expenses? I would be glad to send you what I can? Thank you so much. On another website it was posted that they are going to put an order in for the military and police to shoot any roaming dogs left behind. The goverment feels it is more humane that letting them roam. I repeat if I can do anything to help in your rescue please let me know.
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2005, 07:24:21 pm »
Any updates today Jeanne?
RIP former BPO

Icerotti

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2005, 07:56:11 pm »
What heroes you and your husband are. It is very comforting knowing what you are able to do. Thank you ;)

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2005, 09:28:33 pm »
You two ROCK!!!

Offline OEMlover

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2005, 06:41:27 am »
Thank you, thank you, is not enough!

It rips my heart out to think of all of the furkids down there alone and scared. And now they want to SHOOT them >:( :'(.......

Bless your hearts, I hope you are able to help many more!

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2005, 08:40:16 am »
to sound like a broken record, THANK YOU so much to you and your husband!!!!  Jeanne, I am so proud of what you both are doing to help these animals who cant help themselves. I keep thinking of the animals that have lost their homes and families and are so traumatized now, and thankfully we have people like you who are out there making a difference in these animals lives.  Bless you!!!

Please keep us posted.  My thoughts and prayers are with you :)
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2005, 12:18:36 pm »
you guys are so great....   lets us know if you need any help...  Are they going to wait to see if people come back for their pets? Or are they going to start trying to find homes?

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2005, 10:30:36 am »
This is the 3rd time I've tried to send this - power went out as I was trying to send it last time!!

Anyway, I found a foster home for the bichons but haven't been in touch with their mom, yet.

The cats are all doing better, not so stressed anymore, but I'm still looking for foster homes for them.

I have been in contact with their owners and they are all very grateful, which is enough for me. They have been calling me every day to check on their cats and have even asked to talk to the cats! Hee Hee!!

I'm attaching pix of the bichons and the beautiful australian shepherd that was abandoned by her owner at the evacuee shelter in Thibodaux.

The Wall St. Journal is supposed to be doing a story on the rescues we did last Saturday. If anyone subscribes online can you please e-mail me the story (either today or tomorrow, I think). It may not have my name in it 'cause the reporter couldn't reach me on our swiss cheese phone lines, and I didn't get her e-mail 'til yesterday afternoon, but it should mention the owners: Andy and Amy Grant - of the 3 cats: Malibu, Tabasco and Black Jack. My e-mail is: lotzapets@earthlink.net.

Most of all, thank you all for your support. It means an awful lot to me.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2005, 10:45:16 am »
What a fantastic job you are doing under incredibly trying circumstances!!  Thank you from us here in Southern Calif.!  Thank-you, THANK-YOU!!!

I

Nicole

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2005, 11:02:36 am »
Hey JJ. I just want to give you a heart-felt and teary-eyed virtual hug. What you are doing is amazing, and it helps me to sleep at night. I say that in all serious-ness. The last thing I said to my boyfriend before bed last night is how much you are helping me deal with this. When I told him about the bichons and the kitties, and how you and your husband found them and got the permits and stuff, he teared up. We've both wept openly throughout this entire tragedy.

Mark has said that its so crazy how there are so many in need, and so many with the means to help, but the two just can't be connected effectively. He's said that its so crazy that he has a truck and a boat, and would jump at the opportunity to go and help, but, he probably wouldn't be let in, and he wouldn't have a job when he gets home.

Well, for the record, I don't know what we can do...but if there is anything, let us know. We can foster animals, if needed. We also have a few vacant apartments that we could house people in...we just can't get down there to pick up anyone or any fur-babes anytime soon.

I tried to donate on the pay-pal thingy at the top of the home page...it says that my password is wrong. I'm afraid that someone hacked my account. Grr..now I have to fix that, too.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2005, 11:56:26 am »
God bless you and your family. What you are doing is soo wonderful!  ;D
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2005, 12:05:17 pm »
Thank you from the bottom of my heart jj!...I wish i was there to help because then I could actually feel like I was doing something!...It's very difficult to sit on the "sidelines" & do what you can but still feel it's not enough!...Someone posted a story about a couple that had to leave their cat & guinea pig in a patient room at a hospital & left food but there was no water for them...The woman said, "I just hope they can forgive me"...I could not sleep last night again for thinking of this particular story...Have you heard anything about it?...I pray so hard that the cat & guinea pig were rescued. :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 12:07:04 pm by GYPSY JAZMINE »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2005, 12:23:30 pm »
Wow, Nicole! Your post made ME cry! Thank you so much. Just knowing that I am appreciated and that I am making a difference makes me want to work even harder. Your offer of space for a needy family is probably the most needed thing right now. There is a website that is taking names and contact info. of people offering and matching them up with people in need. I can't remember what it is right now, but I'll find out. I think it's home2home.org or something like that.

Gypsy, I just read that story today myself. I'm going to check into it and see. I know the HSUS has now been allowed into New Orleans to check on these cases of pets left behind so I think a lot of these pets are in the process of getting rescued if not already safe. I am still receiving reports daily and am following up on them as I can or forwarding them on to those who are able to. Looks like I may be going back into Kenner in the next couple days to get another dog. I'm waiting to hear from the owner right now.

As for the reports of law enforcement shooting left-behind pets to put them out of their misery, I think this is an unsubstantiate d rumor. I'm sure if law enforcement felt a stray dog was acting viciously that they would not hesitate to shoot it, but they are not going to kill any docile pets just because they were left behind when there are agencies in there rescuing them daily. There have been several reports of this kind of behavior that have been proved to false. News media tends to not verify rumors before reporting them and then they get blown out of proportion.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2005, 12:25:53 pm »
Ty Jeanne...I don't think I'll get a nights sleep until I know the animals are all taken care of.