Author Topic: Extra Large Breed Dogs  (Read 12279 times)

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
Extra Large Breed Dogs
« on: April 15, 2005, 09:55:36 am »
One of the more common questions we've been asked when meeting new people is "Is that the biggest dog there is?" Our usual response is something along the lines of - "No, there are several large breed dogs that can be bigger." My question is, is there one dog breed considered the largest dog?

Offline IWBabette

• Gnawer
  • Otis the Otterhound
    • View Profile
Re: Extra Large Breed Dogs
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 10:05:52 am »
There is one breed who is noted as the tallest of all the breeds per AKC, the Irish Wolfhound.  I don't know of one considered in weight.
Cathy Wells
Some of the warmest feelings come from a cold wet nose and an Otterhound's sloppy beard!

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 12:51:13 pm »
an English Mastiff is considered largest by weight.

Rachel
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline connolly

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 02:32:24 pm »
According to
Interesting Dog Facts - The World Record Breakers!

The Greyhound is the Fastest Dog on Earth and can run 45 miles per hour for short periods of time

The Irish Wolfhounds is the largest dog

The Great Dane is the tallest dog

The Chihuahua is the smallest dog

The St. Bernard is the heaviest dog

The Worlds oldest dog was an Australian cattle-dog named Bluey who lived to the age of 29 years and 5 months! ....

The older I get the less I know

Offline bigpawsadmin

• Michael~
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • This is Bear
    • View Profile
    • Website - www.michaelandjaime.com
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 02:48:32 pm »
Now those are some answers I can use in the future!
Just trying to keep the bugs off the board!

Offline stormybc

• Gnawer
  • My boys, Parnell the Newf and Kobi
    • View Profile
    • ^Beau's^ Memorial Site
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 08:00:49 pm »
I saw a dog on Montell Williams recently.....s upposedly this dog held the worlds record for weight.....don't hold me to this... but I think the dog was over 300 lbs and was a Mastiff. Beautiful boy! :o

alexeeah

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 08:23:29 pm »
I saw a dog on Montell Williams recently.....s upposedly this dog held the worlds record for weight.....don't hold me to this... but I think the dog was over 300 lbs and was a Mastiff. Beautiful boy! :o

I saw the same show  I think it was an English Bullmastiff and it weighed in at 320!!! The thing was huge I dont' think it could have ran if it's life depended on it! But it was a cutie!!!

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 12:45:26 am »
I work at a boarding kennel, and there's an Irish Wolfhound that can look me in the eye (on all fours), and I'm 5'4".  The biggest dog I ever saw was a Great Pyr, St. Bernard, and ? mix that lived on a horse ranch I worked at. He was hugely hairy, with a head as big as a trash can lid. No exaggeration, he was BIGGER than the Shetland Pony we had (although not fatter, LOL)

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 07:23:05 am »
The largest dog i've ever seen was an English Mastiff at 220.  His head was the size of my entire torso.  He was beautiful, but very very intimidating.

What is the smartest breed?  Collie?  What about the dumbest?

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lucy and Charlie with puppy pal Bosley - 10 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 11:18:57 am »
My husband and I were in San Diego with Cassie at a dog beach, and off in the distance walking across the sand we see this gigantic dark movement, as it gets closer we see it's a dog and then we see it's a Black Newfie, I stand 5'7'' tall and he absolutely came to the top of my waist, HE DID NOT LOOK REAL.  We thought at first there was a kids program being filmed, and he was a muppett.  He was a total sweetie pie, his owner was a little odd, BUT he was a doll, Cassie at that time was about 3 months old she tried to get him to play, and he just kinda of looked at her as she kept diving under his belly.  There is my story of the largest dog I have seen.  I am always surprised at how people stop us with Cassie and talk about her size, Mark and I clearly don't see it.  In fact we are a bit bummed because she hasn't grown much the past few months.  I guess at 10 months and 144 I should be counting my blessings.... :)
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Offline connolly

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 10:48:02 pm »
Saint Mommy, I know exactly what you mean " Mark and I clearly don't see it." Probably I'm just so use to my babies size. The only time it is really drawn to my attention is when they are in the back of our jeep with their heads out the windows (barely fit) and people driving buy point. LOL Oh and this winter I was standing on icy ground when Sassy took off after a deer, I think I  flipped 4 feet in the air kaboom. She really felt bad about it. connolly 
The older I get the less I know

Offline Harrigon

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 07:38:01 am »
the border collie is supposed to be the smartest. they read hand signals as well as whistle calls and clicks. dogs in the herding category tend to do just that. If you have kids, they will herd them.

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 09:56:34 pm »
Finns daddy  was 7 feet tall on  hind, and the breeder said he weighed 220, though  I have never read anything saying they got the heavy....but he just looked huge to  me! I had seen pictures of Irish Wolfhounds and they looked big, but when I saw one in person I was floored. They don't  look real!  People who don't know the breed are always saying "what a cute dog, how old?" and when I say 6 months their jaw drops. They're ponies really!  But I was shocked the first time I saw a Great Dane too. It was huge. Not just tall but big.

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 11:38:48 am »
Late to reply to this one, but I did see a Kuvasz who was returned to the kennel he was purchased from by his 110 lb owner who could not handle him due to his size.  The vet apparently had this dog on steroids froma young age for one problem or another and needless to say when the kennel owner let him out for his daily run, I almost S*** my pants.  He weighed a little over 200 lbs I believe she said and literally looked like a shetland pony, No joke, but that was totally unnaturla accelerated growth due to the steroids, how sad for that poor dog!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2005, 12:30:54 pm »
This is another thread  I have missed. The biggest dog I have ever seen (on a pic) is an OEM who they said weighed 270 lbs + he looked giant but I am not sure it was totally true about the weight though. But not too few OEM's are 220-240 lbs. One of the danes I used to have liked to stand with his front paws on my shoulders and he was way way over a head taller than me, mind you a poodle would probably be taller than me  ::)

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog