Author Topic: My Precious Poo-Poo-eating Princess  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Tippy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
My Precious Poo-Poo-eating Princess
« on: September 04, 2005, 05:12:03 pm »
Well, dagnabit...wha t's a mom to do?  Katie just won't quit munching little leftover tidbits if I fail to scoop them immediately.  I've changed her food - three times, actually.  Now she is on Science Diet for puppies, but she started on Diamond and then I tried Pro Plan. 

I really don't want to use MSG in her food as some have suggested.  MSG can cause bad headaches in some people and I am not so sure of its safety.

She will be 4 months in a couple of days. 

Has anyone else had success breaking a dog from this behavior?  I try to remove all feces as soon as she eliminates - but she poops all the time and sometimes I'm just not able to.   And she has a nose like a bloodhound.  If she can't find her own poop - she'll look for someone else's.  We live on a large farm so poop is pretty common around these parts.  I do keep her on a leash when we walk - but there is always a little 'treasure' lurking somewhere - either another dog's, a coyote's, or...well, that's probably all.

Needless to say - she is getting fewer kisses these days. 

Please help!

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: My Precious Poo-Poo-eating Princess
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 05:25:25 pm »
My Gretchen raids the cat's litter box. Nasty girl. My husband put Tabasco on a t**d and she has left them alone. Even though we would clean every day always a stray. Maybe she's missing some kind of mineral or some thing
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 05:37:43 pm »
Zoey ate poop as a baby but she grew out of it pretty much on her own. The thing that our vet suggested was to sprinkle some meat tenderizer in her food (when it mixes with stomach acid it turns bitter). Meat tenderizer does contain msg, but that is not the promary ingredient. The other thing I would try is solis gold's sep (stop eating poo) it is a supplement to add to food that does the same thing but doesn't say it contains msg http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=44&code=670
RIP former BPO

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 05:56:36 pm »

Stool eating is a normal behavior in puppies.

It is a survival mechanism in wild canids, keeping the den/living area free of scent.

Almost all puppies will outgrow this normal but disgusting to humans behavior.

The best thing is to do as you have been, and observe elimination, removing the stool before she has a chance to do her clean up routine.

I've been in your shoes, and it is definitely a GROSS HABIT.

You have not lived until you have cleaned caked *hit off your puppy's back molars!!!!!!

:o
 ;)
 ;D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 07:01:32 pm »
My Lucy has taken to raiding Chessie's cat boxes.....it is sooo gross!  :P

Miko & Dona both did it - I could never break them of the habit & didn't know wether the supplements were safe or not.....so I became  "p**p nazi - with 2 cats & 2 dogs at the time and long hours at work it was a challenge!

I hope Lucy grows out of it!!! 

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 07:12:42 pm »
I have read puppies just do this...also eat dirt too.  Hopefully they will grow out of it.  I haven't seen Willow do it at all.  But my samoyed usse to raid the litter box constantly

Offline Tippy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 04:01:07 am »
Thanks for all the ideas and information.

I feel much better just knowing that others have dealt with this problem and survived it.

And I'm going to look into the SEP.  I had no idea there was a product designed specifically for this.

The fact that she will outgrow it is so reassuring.  It will be so nice when she finally does her 'duty' and doesn't immediately look at me as if to say, "Hey, look....I just made dessert."

Thanks so much for the help.

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 06:00:56 am »
Ah.......a pup that recycles...... .is self-cleaning........eats at the butt-fet......in the winter she can have poop-cicles.   ::)
As you've probably guessed....we've had poo eaters too!
Vet said that while it is DISGUSTING, it is perfectly normal and not harmful.
Yea......tell me that after you smell that BREATH!!! UGH!!
We did not opt for any additives because our dog didn't limit herself to just her own poo......but like your pup...she liked variety.  Kitty poo, other dog poo, wild animal poo.
Maybe it's like vintage wine?
Anyway......I watched her closely...gave a firm NO and DROP IT.   Of course  I did have to teach DROP IT first with toys.   Eventually she gave up the gross habit.
Good luck to you! 
May she outgrow it quickly and may she have fresh breath forever more!!!

ps....if you live in a snowy area....and she's still eating poo in the winter.....a snowball tossed for her to catch will help clean between the teeth.    At other times of the year we used pieces of celery...but she didn't like it much.
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 06:54:12 am »
Maxwell is a pooh eater too.  He's over 1 now and now at least he doesn't eat his own pooh anymore.  It has cut down a lot.  He will still go to litter boxes and will still eat my cocker's pooh if he can get a hold of it.  For me the pineapple didn't work.  MMMM...Hawaiia n pooh!         He has gotten a lot better.  Unfortunately he has not given it up totally but I'm hoping he will.  My vet said it was safe too.  But the breath!!!!!!!!  Yuck!!