Author Topic: nikki the DeStRoYeR  (Read 2774 times)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
nikki the DeStRoYeR
« on: September 06, 2005, 08:47:54 am »
this labour day weekend's damage report:
1 '62 austin mini cooper (an unfinished tamiya plastic car model which had taken me about 7 hrs to build so far)
1 pencil
1 CD
1 plant
1 roll of teepee
1 stack of post-its
1 toy rope

she only goes on the rampage when we're not around, so i had to keep her in the laundry room blocked by some boxes most of the weekend while we moved...

man, i really really HOPE she grows out of this (7 months old right now)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: nikki the DeStRoYeR
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 02:25:58 pm »
Way to go Nikki   ;)  ;)
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Tippy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 05:56:26 am »
Oh - bless your heart.  That's a toughie for sure.  We've had a couple of gnawers - and the only thing that worked for us - was to keep LOTS of doggy chewy things around them. 

Those hard rubber or silicone bones that are almost indestructible seemed to work. 

We had to finally restrict a baby Great Dane to the bathroom - just as you have - because he chewed up window sill, table legs, and the bottom of porch columns, making us replace all of them.  We tried using a loose-fitting muzzle a couple of times, but I swear he was crying, so I quit that. 

He was adopted and his new family kept in touch.  He finally outgrew his chewing - but it took him over a year - and he relapsed, just like your dog occasionally, if they left him alone.

Good luck.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 08:08:10 am »
Ok, here goes my "confine the puppy" lecture. If you've seen it already, skip to the next page. ;)

Your puppy is just being a puppy.

It is very simple to prevent these types of destructive chewing episodes.

You need a good crate, and you need to put the puppy in it when you cannot supervise her. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

She will learn to love her crate, and you will be keeping her safe when you are gone. Some things puppies will choose to destroy can be dangerous for them.

Using a crate, she does not have to be shut off in some other little room where she feels abandoned and shut out. She can be in her crate in your living room with her own toys and bedding (if she does not destroy that)

Remember, that each time your puppy is allowed to chew in your absence, the behavior will be harder to modify, and will be MORE likely to occur again. These types of behaviors are called "self rewarding". No matter how you scold or punish, you can NEVER take away the stress relief, joy, and satisfaction the puppy got from chewing those articles.

Most destructive chewing takes place within the first 20 minutes after you are gone, and then the puppy goes to sleep. Puppies often choose things with your scent on them to chew, since this is comforting to them.

In large breed puppies, the need to chew can last as long as 2 years.

Get a crate.

Learn to use it.

Happy (and safe) dogs and people will result.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 08:16:41 am »
Ok, here goes my "confine the puppy" lecture. If you've seen it already, skip to the next page. ;)

Your puppy is just being a puppy.

It is very simple to prevent these types of destructive chewing episodes.

You need a good crate, and you need to put the puppy in it when you cannot supervise her. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

She will learn to love her crate, and you will be keeping her safe when you are gone. Some things puppies will choose to destroy can be dangerous for them.

Using a crate, she does not have to be shut off in some other little room where she feels abandoned and shut out. She can be in her crate in your living room with her own toys and bedding (if she does not destroy that)

Remember, that each time your puppy is allowed to chew in your absence, the behavior will be harder to modify, and will be MORE likely to occur again. These types of behaviors are called "self rewarding". No matter how you scold or punish, you can NEVER take away the stress relief, joy, and satisfaction the puppy got from chewing those articles.

Most destructive chewing takes place within the first 20 minutes after you are gone, and then the puppy goes to sleep. Puppies often choose things with your scent on them to chew, since this is comforting to them.

In large breed puppies, the need to chew can last as long as 2 years.

Get a crate.

Learn to use it.

Happy (and safe) dogs and people will result.

:D
This is good advise!...Samson was crate trained & I only lost a cell phone & a tiny piece out of the arm of my new loveseat...I made the mistake of going to the bathroom & leaving him unattended...B ut that's all he ever got minus a phone book or two I guess...Once he was out of the crate I puppy proofed the rooms he was allowed in as best I could...That's when he got the phone books...Not too bad of damage report though! ;D