Author Topic: Snap and Shy syndrome  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Snap and Shy syndrome
« on: September 06, 2005, 02:33:38 pm »
Has anyone heard of this? I was talking to my husband's ex-wife this weekend and she has a dog that was diagnosed with this and it sounds a lot like what our brain damaged Australian Cattle Dog mix has. Her dog is on Amitryptyline (Elavil) and it has helped her a lot. I can't find anything on the internet about it.

Anyone??
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Snap and Shy syndrome
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 02:42:55 pm »
Can you explain the snap and shy syndrome?  It sounds to me like something a fearful dog would do.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 03:01:02 pm »
Kind of. My wife-in-law (hee hee!) said her dog, which they have had since a pup, would get nervous and snap at her husband whenever he would come home. It didn't make any sense because the husband had always been kind to the dog and the dog had always been very well taken care of. The vet couldn't diagnose it until another couple from out of town came in with a dog with a similar behavior problem. their vet had diagnosed it as Snap and Shy and put the dog on the anti-depressant amitryptyline (commercial name is Elavil) and it just helped even out the dog's temperment.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 10:08:24 pm »
I do the same thing when my hubby comes home..lol!

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 01:00:52 am »
You are too funny!

I'm leary of medicating for behavioral problems in any species. It just seems to easy to place blame somewhere else.
If your dog was kicked in the head and started displaying these traits, that's one thing. But if your animal is acting out of fear, like Jaime observed, then the root cause should be addressed before medication is ever considered.
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 06:58:42 am »
Our dog's behavior is definitely due to a brain injury she suffered when she was about 6 weeks old.

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 02:51:53 pm »
my boyfriend was on Amitryptyline for awhile after a brain injury.  It worked WONDERS!!!, but it also made him tooo sleepy to get up in the morning and drive safely to work, so he switched to a different drug.  It isn't really an anti depresent, more of an anti psychotic, helping to smooth out the up and down swings.