Author Topic: People United Against Puppy Mills  (Read 23270 times)

Offline Sue M.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
People United Against Puppy Mills
« on: April 15, 2005, 09:39:04 pm »
Tomorrow is the first demonstration being held for a new group formed fighting an old battle here in Pennsylvania.! "People United Against Puppy Mills" will be demonstrating in the vicinity of a pet store that purchases pups from these horrid mills! Here is the sign I will be holding! If I don't post about how it went, someone come bail me out of jail please!!!! ;D

« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 09:43:19 pm by Sue M. »
Terry, Sue
Cassie and Koda too!
Rebel, Katie Girl and Bear Bear- waiting for us at the Bridge.

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
Re: People United Against Puppy Mills
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 11:01:52 pm »
Awesome... good luck!

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 08:53:15 pm »
Hey Sue-
Did you end up in jail? Please let us know that you are alright and that things went as planned.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 11:10:40 pm »
Hi there, are you with us, or do we have to bail you out???? Please tell us how it went. It is such a horrible problem with puppy mills, and whatever can be done to shut them down.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Jen

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 11:41:19 am »
I also live in PA and I think there is a puppy mill around the corner from my house.  Why is PA soch a hot spot for these wackos?

Jen

Offline Sue M.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 07:56:53 pm »
Hi Guys,
Sorry it took so long to get back! No, I didn't spend the week in jail!  ;D
I thought the demonstration went well for our 1st. We started out with about 20 people. We stood in front of an empty store right beside the Pet Store. After about an hour, 10 of us went up to a busy road. We got alot of honks, claps of hands and thumbs up! I probably saw a couple of thousand people mouthing the words; Puppy Store - Puppy Mill! That in itself was a good start in our quest for Puppy Mill reform. Public Awareness!
About 3 police cruisers did show up and told the store front people to move over about 3 feet. So they did. Then they just hung around to make sure there wasn't any trouble! We are a peaceful protest group!
Till the end when I went back to the store, our group had grown to about 40 people! All in all I think it was a good start!
These pics were taken at the start. I forgot to take some towards the end! (OOPS)

Terry, Sue
Cassie and Koda too!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 08:06:25 pm »
Good Job, I am so glad to hear that you are a peaceful group, I do belive that if we want to make a difference for our animals we have to be polite and well put together, or it will be hard to make anyone listen, not that it is not hard enought to make them take a minute to really think about what is going on. And I am glad to hear that you did not spend any time behind the dreaded bars ;D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 09:01:24 am »
Thank goodness you ar alright Sue. You really had us worried for a bit there. I could just imagine the headline: Big Paws Only Forum Bails Member Out of Jail! Too funny!! :D :D :D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 09:14:09 am »
GOOD FOR YOU!!!  We need to be the voice for animals and say that this kind of animal abuse can no longer go on.  I cry my eyes out every time I hear about this kind of stuff.  Puppy Mills are just disgusting.  These people are breeding dogs purely for the profit.  They mate mothers and sons or fathers and daughters just to make more and more puppies.  The way I see it, if we don't tolerate that for humans, we can't with animals as well.  Breeders should only breed their dogs to improve the genetic lines of that specific breed.  Keep up the good work, I hope it makes a difference.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Jen

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 09:52:49 am »
GOOD JOB! I mentioned that I think I have a puppy mill around the corner from my house and I was talking to my neighbor who is a fellow big paws lover and she told me it is ABSOLUTELY a BIG PUPPY MILL!  It's huge, the size of a dairy farm.  She said she drove by the other day and SAW A GREAT PYRENESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(  My heart sunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I want to go there and pretend to "shop" and take pics so I can post them.  I really want them out of my neigborhood.  My other (Stupid) neighbor bought a puppy from them and they are going to have to put it down because he is biting everyone including their 18 month old son.  Bad Breeding of course!

Jen

Offline Sue M.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 10:25:03 am »
Maybe we should start a fund!  :)  We'll be demonstrating at least once a month!
It really is a sad situation. The pictures I have seen!  :( It makes me want to cry! We do need to be the voice for these animals! What kills me is that alot of the offenders are the older order Mennonites and Amish. They are supposed to be so religious but don't give a D$#@  about these God created creatures! Hippocrates! It's a sin! They say they need to supplement their incomes and only see dogs as live stock! Government officials around here don't want to do anything that goes against the farmers so they don't enforce the bill that was passed!
Jen, if you do manage to go in and get pictures, send me some copies! Everyone really liked my poster but the bad Puppy Mill pics were a little small. I used what I could find on the computer. The woman who formed the group wants to use my poster for the demonstrations where we set up a table. She'd like to set my poster up on an easel. I think I can make a better poster for her. I want to get more graphic Puppy Mill pictures. People need to see the reality of what's going on. If you do go for pictures, BE CAREFUL!!! They may watch out for people with cameras. They know they are doing wrong but only see the $$$ signs!
So many people around here don't even know what a Puppy Mill is! They see these cute little puppies in the Pet Stores and don't see the horrid conditions these pups were brought into this world in. Then, 6 or 7 months after they have puchased this cute little pup, they find that it has congenial heart problems or severe hip dysplacia or some other genetic disease! Now they have grown to love this animal and the huge cost to correct or deal with the problems are heart breaking for them and more suffering for the dog! It's a lose lose situation!
Thanks for all your support guy! I'll keep you all informed about the Protest activities. I'll try not to take so long next time!!! ;D
Terry, Sue
Cassie and Koda too!

Jen

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 10:49:47 am »
I don't think these are Amish.  We are in PA but not Amish country, I am in the Pononos.  This a for profit kinda place.  They have a huge sign PUPPIES FOR SALE.  My stupid neighbor that a bought her dog there says you just go walk around the farm and pick the one you want,  all different breeds and mixes.  It's right across from a grammar school playground and she told me the kids see all the puppies and come home from school begging for one.  She is so sorry becuase now the dog is biting everyone, and now her children a afraid of their own dog.  Her kids are wonderful, they love our dogs and come over after school to play with Sasha and Thunder.  Unfortunatly their own dog has had such bad breeding his temperment is unsuitable to play with these great kids. They are no longer allowed to have freinds over because the mother is so afraid their dog is going to bite someone elses child,  they spend their afternoons with my dogs! As do most of the children in our neighborhood! ;D

Jen

Offline Sue M.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 11:00:43 am »
That's really a shame about your neighbors dog! That poor animal had a lousy life because of stupid humans greed! And it's sad about the kids. Dogs and kids can be such a good thing but because of these careless breeders the kids may fear dogs for life! Hopefully not.
We go to the Poconos for the Nascar race at the end of July. The weekend of the 22nd - 24th. Are you near there?
Terry, Sue
Cassie and Koda too!

Jen

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 11:28:47 am »
Right around the corner from NASCAR. The men of my house are NASCAR MEN!  We are a NASCAR TOWN you are not allowed to live here unless you have NASCAR stickers on your car! :D  I beleive we are 7 miles from the our front door to the entrance gates.  OR is it 7 minutes?? Well either way.

Jen

That's really a shame about your neighbors dog! That poor animal had a lousy life because of stupid humans greed! And it's sad about the kids. Dogs and kids can be such a good thing but because of these careless breeders the kids may fear dogs for life! Hopefully not.
We go to the Poconos for the Nascar race at the end of July. The weekend of the 22nd - 24th. Are you near there?

Offline Sue M.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 01:07:00 pm »
 ;D We're die hard Nascar fans ourselves! We had always been Earnhart fans! Never missed Sunday races. Now we're Little E Fans. Our computer room is done in Earnhart motif! I kinda figured you wuold be. Pocono isn't that big!

PS: We have Nascar/Earnhart stickers on all our vehicles! ;D
Terry, Sue
Cassie and Koda too!