Author Topic: almost hate to bring it up but YET ANOTHER ignorant comment!  (Read 9798 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

almost hate to bring it up but YET ANOTHER ignorant comment!
« on: September 06, 2005, 11:05:38 pm »
This is another reason why I don't "do" family gatherings...Y esterday my mom had Labor Day at her house...When I was talking to my sister about having her dog & my uncle's dog here over the weekend my aunt piped up, "YOU MUST BE CRAZY...WHAT WAS THE COUNT AT YOUR HOUSE THEN"?...I said, "well along with the 2 extra dogs it was 8 cats, 2 bunnies, 1 guinea pig, & my 2 dogs, not to mention my kids & Logan" (my nephew) She then exclaimed, "DOESN'T YOUR HOUSE STINK"??...I turned to my bro' in law who is a frequent visitor & said, "Jeremy, you field this one"...He said just what I knew he would because he has commented on it so many times throughout the years.."There is not animal smell...People always ask me & I have to honestly tell them that"...I added, "& I don't burn candles or use air freshenr to cover up either"....I then expalined that if you take the time to care for your animals there isn't much smell unless the dogs got wet or you just gave a bath....Anyway, she asked me AGAIN later if my house didn't stink...I said, "no..because I care for my animals & family & I don't slack on them!...This is the same aunt that said she would never come for X-mas because she wouldn't eat here...When I said something about it after she left my mom said I "set myself up for it for talking about my animals"...Whoever left me on that family's doorstep please reclaim me...No hard feelings!!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 12:05:38 am by GYPSY JAZMINE »

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: almost hate to bring it up but YET ANOTHER ignorant comment!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 12:01:37 am »
You can pick at your toes,
and you can pick your nose,
but you're stuck with your relatives!
J
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 12:06:53 am »
You can pick at your toes,
and you can pick your nose,
but you're stuck with your relatives!
J
I can't pick 'em but I don't have to give up on hopeing I was left on their doorstep by Gypsies!!!

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 04:17:56 am »
Ha!! We used to say, "You can pick you friends and you can pick your nose - but- Don't pick you friends nose!!"  You should have asked your aunt if her house smelled like OLD PEOPLE!!! :o

mcenter

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 05:04:45 am »
Wow...those comments never cease to amaze me...My SIL recently said "you really should train your Rocky so you can have company", and then I said "Whoever said I wanted company"? ;D

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 06:42:18 am »
Ha!! We used to say, "You can pick you friends and you can pick your nose - but- Don't pick you friends nose!!"  You should have asked your aunt if her house smelled like OLD PEOPLE!!! :o
LMAO Kiahpyr!!!...& mcenter, I love that comeback big time & I totally understand it too!!!! ;D

Offline SwissysRock

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • I love my SWISSY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 07:25:09 am »
I get it from my family allll the time.  Nobody has ever really had pets in my family - we are the first ones.  Got married last October and got 2 kittys, a dog, a tortoise and some fish.  Now people ask "How are you?  How's the zoo?"  or "Whats with all the animals... forget the animals, and start having babys!"  UGH Its soooo annoying!  I can just tell by their body language that they are uncomfortable in my house cause of all the fur.  Or they'll come in and of course Riley will be all jumpy and excited to see them and all they can say (to Riley) is "OK, OK, OK, CALLLLM DOWN, GOOD BOY, OK OK OK OK SIT DOWN RILEY OK!"   - undoing all my command training!
Tina
:)
Riley's Momma

Offline gdanes24

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 07:41:15 am »
My family is the same way.  My parents refuse to come over and see the kids anymore because the danes are running all over the house.  Just look at it this way... you'll never have to worry about feeding the family during the holidays!  More turkey for you and your dogs!  Hehehehe

Anakalia

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 07:41:32 am »
You are not alone!!  My mom and dad won't come over to visit.  If they do they ring the doorbell and I go outside to talk to them, they won't step foot in my house!  They claim it's because my house is trashed and it stinks but I know better, they're scared to death of Koby and he knows it!! lol  He'll stand at the storm door looking out and bark while my parents slowly step back.  I tell anyone that doesn't like Koby to STAY AWAY, I don't need visitors that don't appreciate my big baby! 

OH and I have to tell you guys this.... Yesterday the UPS guy came to drop off a delivery and Koby was once again standing at the storm door doing his intimidation routine when the UPS guy looked at me and in the snottiest voice EVER said, "Looks like you need a smaller dog!"  I was shocked and on the phone with Ang at the time, so of course after he leaves then I start thinking of all the smart alec comments to say!! JEEESH!  I hope he never delivers anything again!  RUDE!!

Andi

dohertyswissy

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 08:26:00 am »
Aw, Gyps, you can come be part of my family!  I have to say, as far as animals go, my family is great.  My sister-in-law has a Rotti and a lab while my brother-in-law has a Husky.  My Mom was very intimidated by Ranger at first, and this is when he was a 45 lb. puppy!  However, we all spent a weekend together and she fell in love with him!  Then, my parents kept him for a weekend when hubby and I went out of town, and I almost thought I wouldn't get him back!  My Dad called and said they missed Ranger! 

If I have any issues, it is with friends who find it ASTONISHING that a 5'2" petite woman wouldn't want a little Mojo (the bad) and has a Big Paw!  I got a comment the other day, "You do realize your dog is bigger than you, right?"  Well, THANK YOU Sherlock for the observation!  Since I like the person, I took a deep breath, and said, "Yes.  I like it that way.  Real Women have BIG DOGS!"  People do always comment on how clean my house is...like it is impossible to keep a house clean when you have animals, which simply isn't true!  If you take care of your animals, it isn't a problem! 

At the end of the day, though, Ranger is worth all the stupid comments we get!

Come on over, Gyp, I got room at the Thanksgiving for all your animals...espe cially Sammy and Pippin!

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 09:19:00 am »
Not to worry Gyp, my family and I have a mutual dislike pact, so I know where you're coming from. After we got Apollo, we started to notice that no one wanted to come over anymore, or asked us to visit. Then, it dawned on us that we actually *liked* the peace and quiet, and we didn't have to pretend to like a bunch of fusty %&&^*&^%, so now, only our friends come over, and they love the boy-os.

Silver lining and all that. I guess you can really tell who your friends are......they're the ones the dogs don't eat.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 09:19:03 am »

Real Women have BIG DOGS!" 

Ok, I think we NEED this quote on the BPO merchandise when it comes around!!!  ;D  I just love it!!!   I'm sick of all the prissy plastic queens and their fashion accessory "Mojos".  Nothing against little dogs, but I mean come on.  Its sickening how they're becoming fashionable like a pair of sunglasses going in and out of style.  :P

As far as family, I'm lucky the majority of my family loves my pups even though they don't have any themselves.  I think they live vicariously through me as long distance dog owners.  lol  Seriously, I have waiting lists on some of them if anything happens to me.  Maybe I should start worrying about getting wacked???  ;)  Though I don't know if I'd TRUST any of my family with the lives of my furbabies.   :-\  Family... thats all I'm gonna say!  lol
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 09:23:17 am »

OH and I have to tell you guys this.... Yesterday the UPS guy came to drop off a delivery and Koby was once again standing at the storm door doing his intimidation routine when the UPS guy looked at me and in the snottiest voice EVER said, "Looks like you need a smaller dog!"  I was shocked and on the phone with Ang at the time, so of course after he leaves then I start thinking of all the smart alec comments to say!! JEEESH!  I hope he never delivers anything again!  RUDE!!

Andi

Honey I can't remember if I told you this or not, but if he says anything remotely like that, just say in your sweetest voice "And it looks like you need a bigger set of balls!" ;)

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 09:24:40 am »
Okay, here's the deal....we'll just adopt each other and each other's dogs and be our own family!!! 

My BIL looked at Cowboy asleep on my feet and said, "you really should put him down.  He's having no life".  Hmmm.  No life for BIL, maybe, but I know Cowboy thinks he's got it pretty good!  He's SOOO loved and he knows it!!!

mcenter

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 09:42:05 am »
"Though I don't know if I'd TRUST any of my family with the lives of my furbabies.
"

Haha, I know exactly how you feel, Moni!!! This past winter, my husband took my daughters to Florida for a vacation, and I stayed home with my pups!