Author Topic: Pet Rescue Supply Needs for Katrina Pets: Noah's Wish & LSU Vet Center  (Read 5137 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
I am forwarding this information from an e-mail I received.

Here is some of the information I've been compiling as of late... I've been online now since Saturday working on keeping updated info out there so people can choose how to help.

We do have someone who is in direct contact with Noah's Wish in Slidell, LA and here is their message:

Thanks so much for your offer. We are operating in Slidell, Louisiana.
Additional teams are being dispatched.  Further sites of operation are
anticipated. Communications are poor at best.
             Right now, I can tell you that we can certainly use monetary
donations which can be sent to the main office at PO Box 997, Placerville, CA 95667.  Also, we always have a need and use for gift
cards from the major national chains such as Walmart, Petsmart, Lowes,
Petco, etc.  The gift cards are used for the purchase of supplies and
equipment as needed and they are provided for our field teams to enable them to make emergency "we need this RIGHT NOW" items for care of the animals.
             We also have an ongoing need for any of the following items:
batteries, bolt cutters, cable/electrician's ties, break-away cat collars,
dog collars, clamps, clip boards, spring clamps (extra large size),
Rewritable CD's,  flash or jump drives, collapsible wire cages, new dog
leashes and collars (we stress "new" because of concerns of cross
contamination from animal to animal), duct tape, disposable ear plugs, heavy duty extension cords, grooming clippers,  FRS  radios, hand sanitizing gel, heating pads, various office supplies, Polaroid 600 cameras and film, black and red Sharpie pens, staplers and staples (not the office type - the type you find in the tool section of the stores), surgical and exam gloves, gallon and larger size ziplock bags.  There is
no need to be concerned about food supplies as this is taken care of by the generosity of the pet food companies.  If this need changes, I will post an alert.
             If your budget permits purchase of larger ticket items we will
have the need for animal containment, rescue, and control equipment that we usually purchase through ACES (www.animal-care.com).  This equipment can be purchased on line or over the phone by credit card and shipped to the address I will provide below.  If you are interested in purchasing one of these items, please e-mail me first and I can let you know what we specifically are looking for, but for pricing considerations we will be looking at purchasing live-traps, EvacSaks, catch-poles, animal graspers, cat tongs, nets, and the specialty handling gloves.
             I am handling logistical and supply operations from the St.
Louis, Missouri area.  From this location we have the intact communications and transportation infrastructure to receive supplies.  We can then dispatch the supplies and equipment as they are needed to the area with our volunteers transporting them down Interstate 55 as the volunteers are deployed in the area.  Please ship (or have shipped) your supplies or gift cards (REMEMBER MONETARY DONATIONS GO TO THE PLACERVILLE ADDRESS) to:
Roger Smith
Noah's Wish
8762 Klondike Road
Worden, IL  62097
             Once again, I thank you for your support and generosity in
helping us help the animals.  If you have any questions or any ideas for a donation not covered above please feel free to e-mail me and I will respond as quickly as I can.

Best Wishes,
Roger D. Smith
Regional Coordinator
Noah's Wish

UPDATE:  IMMEDIATE LARGE ITEM NEEDS...

Pop Up Canopies --- EZ UP Type Tent Canopies
Chain Link Kennel Panels
Extra Large Collapsible Cages (Plastic Air Line Crates to not have the
ventilation needed in the heat and humidity!!!)
Halogen Tripod Lights

For these items, have them shipped to:
                                     Noah's Wish
                                     c/o Fay Anguzza
                                     4633 Laurie Street
                                     Hammond, LA  70401

<end of forwarded message>

One of their biggest problems right now is finding gasoline... and I just
don't know how much help any of us can be who aren't there.

Information coming out of LSU vet school where they are currently caring for
over 600 animals is as follows:

Current needs for the animals:

a.. large carboys for water, harnesses, canned cat and dog food, feeding utensils, disposable litter pans and cat litter, zip-lock bags - 1 gallon size, paper towels, sheets and towels, locks, industrial-sized fans (36" or larger), water hoses and spray nozzles, latex gloves, cotton balls, pharmaceutical s, medical supplies (e.g., syringes, IV bags, etc.), trash bags, 50 gallon size, pooper scoopers, extra-long heavy-duty extension cords, Polaroid 600 film

Current needs for the volunteers:

a.. bottled water, soft drinks, ice, non-perishable snacks

Critical equipment needs:

a.. Laptop computers - 5 needed (Windows OS), High-speed heavy-use photocopy machine, High-speed printer, preferably laser, Fax machine

Items to go to LSU may be shipped to:

Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry
5825 Florida Blvd.
Baton Rouge, LA 70821
Attention: Katrina

Communication to LSU is about impossible - trust me. I've tried to get
through for three days, but they are updating their website. You can only get phone service into Baton Rouge if you are in the state, so the numbers on their website are NOT accessible by the rest of us.

Word is that the temporary shelter in Jackson, MS can be reached at
1-800-252-0923. Again, I have NOT been able to get through today, but I do know of a couple groups who have gone down and taken animals back with them.

There's a lot more going on, and I've tried to put up a comprehensive list of all the VALID information I can find - although it's been tough to sift through what is real and what is fiction.
I will be updating as often as I find out anything more.

Just realize that this is going to be a VERY long-term effort, and that the
needs of shelters, animal intake areas and rescuers is going to change
DAILY... I'm advising people NOT to take off and run down there, even though I've had e-mails from many who want to do just that. VolunteerMatch .com is working on shifting their focus to Katina volunteer needs, so before anyone decides to caravan down, take a look first, be sure you can GET THROUGH to the area you think you want to go, and understand that gasoline is nowhere to be had in a lot of areas - so don't get yourself stranded!

Tammy Kinkade
K9's Naturally - Natural Food for Natural Health
www.k9snatural ly.com
Help for Katrina's animal victims
www.k9nsnatura lly.com/Katrina.htm
PLUS rescued dogs page www.k9snatural ly.com/rescuedogs.htm
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Rescue Supply Needs for Katrina Pets: Noah's Wish & LSU Vet Center
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 10:39:34 am »
UPDATE:

Terri Crisp, the founder of Noah's Wish just called me and gave me these updates:

1. They are desperately in need of more volunteers. They will have over 500 animals in their care by this weekend.

2. They are overwhelmed by the generosity of Slidell and the surrounding communities. They are not wanting for food or veterinary care. In fact, she offered free veterinary care for any animals in Houma or our surrounding communities that may need it because they have so many vets and vet students donating their services - from as far away as Washington D.C.

3. The Slidell Animal Shelter was flooded and has been condemned. They will have to rebuild it, which may take months or even a year if the wait for FEMA money. The publicity volunteer for Noah's Wish lives in California and is involved in making music videos, etc. She has contacted several celebrities to assist with a special fundraiser to raise money to build a bigger, better shelter for Slidell as soon as possible!

If anyone can make it to Slidell, LA to volunteer, contact me and I will give you directions and contact info. The city of Slidell has given them the 3rd floor of the federal building to camp out in so you will have restrooms and showers, etc. Phone service is still hit or miss there, though.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 10:56:14 am »
I can't even begin to say how bad I want to go to Slidell and help out... 
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 11:02:48 am »
I just saw a clip on CNN about Noahs Wish and the furbabies they have saved. Amazing work that they do. I wish I was closer too , to help. My heart goes out to all those that dedicate their lives to doing such work. Thank you ;D

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 08:21:25 am »
I'm going to Slidell tomorrow through Sunday to help Noah's Wish!!! Tomorrow is my 10th anniversary and I told my husband that all I wanted was to be able to go there with him and help. He agreed right away. I'm so excited. I've been talking to them for weeks now and I finally get to meet them face to face and do hands-on help with them.

I'll give you all a full report when I get back.

Jeanne

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 08:34:37 am »
Jeanne, you are such a very special person.
I'm going to Slidell tomorrow through Sunday to help Noah's Wish!!! Tomorrow is my 10th anniversary and I told my husband that all I wanted was to be able to go there with him and help. He agreed right away. I'm so excited. I've been talking to them for weeks now and I finally get to meet them face to face and do hands-on help with them.

Jeanne
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 08:49:34 am »
Thanks! But I just feel very fortunate that we got minimal damage here compared to just a few miles east of us and that I am in the position that I can offer assistance.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 09:20:50 am »

Jeanne
Jeanne, What a truely special & meaningful way to celebrate 10 yrs. of you two working as a team...You will never forget what you did on your 10th...I am in tears...Everyo ne should celebrate their anniversaries of beginning their lives together working as the team they promised to be & doing something to better the world...This is SO fantastic!...God bless you & your husband, partner, team mate.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 09:40:28 am »
That is such a great way to look at it Gypsy! I can't wait to share that sentiment with my husband. Thanks for your support.

Jeanne

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 09:43:30 am »
That is such a great way to look at it Gypsy! I can't wait to share that sentiment with my husband. Thanks for your support.

Jeanne
I'm here for ya' hero lady!! ;D B.t.w., I think I may have accidently deleted some unread p.m.'s...Have you sent one I never replyed to?...Any word on the guinea pig & cat?

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 09:47:12 am »
I can't find anyone that has heard anything about it, but I'm sure if they were in a hospital, that is one of the first places the military and police are sweeping to check for people. There are a lot of individuals in these units that are pet lovers and they are making sure they pass along any information about pets in the areas they check to the volunteers rescuing them. There have been no reports of dogs getting shot to "put them out of their misery". I think this was a rumor of a directive that MAY be given that never materialized.