Author Topic: Constant Itching?  (Read 9821 times)

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Constant Itching?
« on: April 16, 2005, 07:39:10 am »
For about a week and a half now Seamus has had constant itching on his sides.  He seems to itch most behind his shoulder blades.  He is always biting at himself and kicking up his leg to try and get the spot.  I can't find any bumps and the skin doesn't look red or irritated.
He has been on prescription food for his stomach problems, as well as several medications.  The two seemed to coincide.  Could he possibly be allergic to something?  If so, why is he only itching in that one spot?  He just had frontline applied about two weeks ago, so I don't think it is a tick or flea bite, but maybe it is.

I seem to be at the vet every week and I think they think I am a hypochondriac.  Before I take him once again, can anyone give me some advice as to what it might be or possibly how to relieve his itching?

Thanks!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Constant Itching?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 04:41:27 pm »
Have you tried Benadrylll? Bear gets itchy during the spring/summer, gets red eyes, and sneezes more than usual, so we put it on him and he is fine. I know that Sullivan is on lots of meds already, but this might help.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 06:56:21 pm »
Maybe it IS the Frontline. From where you described the itching is, that was the first thing I thought of.

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 03:53:30 pm »
The first thing I thought of was frontline too.  It isn't the first time we have used it though, is it possible that he developed a new allergy?  He is currently on allergy medication, but apparently it isn't helping his itching any. 
The itching seems to be calming down a bit, but i'm keeping an eye on it.
Thanks for your responses!

Offline kuvaszlily

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 01:26:10 pm »
Oh no, the itchies...  Our dog began itching the day we got her from the breeder (2 yrs ago).  She had little bumps on her tummy, which we thought were fire ant bites.  Don't feel bad about the vet thing - I too thought I was a hypochondriac. .. we have finally narrowed it down to yes, she has allergies, not a yeast infection, etc.  We have had vets that told us it was her food...so we put her on the expensive dog foods from the vet.. Finally we moved to San Antono and just miraculously ended up choosing a vet that specializes in allergies.  We are getting her tested in 2 weeks.  So hopefully we'll get an answer.  Allergy tests cannot tell you if the dog is allergic to food (chicken or beef).  It will eliminate pollen, cats, etc.  Our dog's itching seemed to migrate to different places on her body.  One week it would be under her arms, the next week her neck, the base of her tail...it just kept moving, well, it still does.  A food trial is very easy to do if you have only one dog...we use Purina LA from the vet.  We had a vet giving us duck and potato dog food, but when we started going to our new vet he said if she's allergic to poultry we wouldn't have noticed a difference in her itching...so I would recommend the above to try out.  It's made with fish product.  That is if you are going with the food allergy thing.

Does your pup have any bumps?

It just breaks your heart because they just seem so miserable...if they could only tell us...

Some things to think about, which you probably already have...  Does the breed have skin allergies?What about the dog shampoo you use?  Do you put carpet fresh or any chemicals on your carpet?