Author Topic: IW still at petstore  (Read 12975 times)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
IW still at petstore
« on: September 08, 2005, 02:48:30 am »
My daughter was at the mall today and said the little muppet looking IW is still there.  It has to be like a month since I was there....ohhhh hh...I want that IW soooo!!!!!!  Damn!!!  And I can't get a petstore pup - I am totally against it, BUT...... 

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: IW still at petstore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 01:36:01 pm »
Awwwe, the poor thing.  You know you want him.   ;)  ;)  ;D

There are some people at my dog park that are looking into getting a basset from the pet store.  I guess he's been in there about 6 months.......p oor guy.  If he's not adopted/purchased soon he'll be send to the shelter.  The owner is even willing to knock quite a bit off the price so he can start being a dog.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 01:42:57 pm »
Most stores are willing to deal big once a pup hits 5-6 months old. We have had 1800.00 dogs pulled from stores for 50.00 once they hit the non sellable age. Most of the time its without papers or any warranty. Just be aware of the troubles you may face taking a dog who has been penned for that long.

Blair

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 01:43:54 pm »
 I have never seen a petstore that sold dogs. Keep us posted. Poor thing must be really wanting a forever loving home  ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 01:45:40 pm by Blair »

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 03:26:41 pm »
Most stores are willing to deal big once a pup hits 5-6 months old. We have had 1800.00 dogs pulled from stores for 50.00 once they hit the non sellable age. Most of the time its without papers or any warranty. Just be aware of the troubles you may face taking a dog who has been penned for that long.

Don't tell me that because I'll go to all the petstores round up the pups and put them in rescue :(  I don't want to think of what future is in store for them if they go back to their "Breeders"

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 03:54:57 pm »
K I won't tell you but its true ;) 
 Just do not ever mention the word rescue to the store. I learned that the hard way after trying to get a puppy released from a store he had sat in until he was nearly 6 months old.
 I went to the store on a Saturday (they know I'm in rescue) begged for the release of the dog, they told me 500.00. One week later I got a call from the local HS.... turns out a man purchased the puppy for 50.00 the day after I had been to the store. He then turned the dog into the shelter saying the pup was to much to handle. I called and confirmed the amount he paid for the pup.
The rescue I work with will not pay for a puppy from a store if it means they will make money on the pup. I figured...
Stores pays 20-100 for the puppy from the broker
Has it for 4 months- Fed, shots, wormings has to cost them around 100.00
So at 50.00 the store should be losing money on that dog.
The store that had the above pup no longer carries the breed:)
If the store already knows you are a rescue enlist family and friends to buy the pup...just please do not give them a profit!!!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 04:01:51 pm »
Just out of curiosity, how would you go about getting the pup for a discount?  Just say "Hey I noticed that dog's been here 4 months, you can't be making anything off of it, so I'll give you $50."?
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 04:05:56 pm »
I hate puppymills and the stores that they sell the pups.  This store has big signs allover that says they do not support puppymills - you know that is BS...I would never say anything about being a rescue....we'll see what happens.  I do want him - he is very cute....  I hate to even go by and look...I wish my daughter had never said a word...

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 04:15:42 pm »
IW = Irish wolfhound

The way the people I know got the price down (they actually heard from another lady at the dog park about the basset).  She asked how long the dog was there, and when she learned it was aroung 6 months, she was shocked.  I think she asked about a discount since the dog was older, and the owner was willing to cut the price in 1/2.  I don't know what the original price was.  I dont' even know if the other people will get this dog.  They have one basset already and do want to get another, but they just had a human baby two weeks ago.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 04:19:49 pm »
I have never seen a petstore that sold dogs.

We, sadly, have quite a few.  One of them is in the mall that we must go to in order to frequent my beloved Target.  I can barely walk by it.  I try to refuse to support it by going in, but if we even walk past the windows where the puppies are, I burst into tears.  And it is one of the ones where they let people take the puppies out on walks, which in a way is good, I guess - but then I am torn between my love for their fresh puppy goodness and the sadness and bitterness over the puppy mills from which they come.  Cause I don't care what they say in the store - NO reputable breeder sells to a pet store.

I swear I get so upset and so sad about these things - more than I think I should.  Maybe I need a therapist!   ;D  When I finally go crazy I am going to end up in rags, standing outside a pet store screaming into a megaphone about the evils of puppy mills, and how hard the puppies will be to house-break, and shoving propaganda into people's hands.

And, of course, the worst part of it is that, despite knowing everything that is wrong about wanting to "rescue" one of those puppies from a bad situation, I still get jonesing for a puppy, and think about the one puppy I could save, because it isn't the puppy's fault, and am soooo  tempted....

I am being flippant about this, but I seriously do think this all upsets me more than it should... 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 04:25:50 pm by grumpybunny »
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Kiahpyr

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 04:24:23 pm »
Grumpybunny I feel the same way. I have to choke back the tears when I see a pet store that sells pets. When I go crazy I'll be right there with you outside a pet store. 

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 04:33:22 pm »
Grumpybunny I feel the same way. I have to choke back the tears when I see a pet store that sells pets. When I go crazy I'll be right there with you outside a pet store. 

I am glad I am not the only one!  At least I will have some company...  :)
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 04:43:50 pm »
Move over and give me some room on that soap box because I'll be right there with you guys!

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 05:01:32 pm »
As Grumpybunny said and it should be posted in big bold letters on every dog site...

NO reputable breeder sells to a pet store.

NO reputable breeder has a USDA number.

NO reputable breeder has 4 pages of "puppies for sale" internet site.

As far as getting the dog at a discount it takes some good talking and sometimes several visits.
First visit with the dog ask how old it is ...when told 6 months say "O my will you sell this dog at that price at this age?"  Seems high for a dog who is no longer really a puppy...someti mes going into how hard the dog will be to housetrain ect... can work also. Also try you do not care about papers or warranties.

Ask to talk to the owner of the store and be ready to walk out if they will not come down. It may take several trips back. Remember the store pays next to nothing to the broker for any puppy.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 07:14:20 pm »
Petstores that sell pups kill me. Not too long ago I had tears falling down my cheeks because of a poor border collie puppy that was five months old and looked pathetic. It killed me. As much as it kills us to see these little guys we have to remember that even though it isn't the fault of the pup, if we do buy one it WILL be replaced and another poor pup will take up its spot behind the glass wall. The only way to stop it is to stop buying the puppies. There is a petstore in Prince Edward Island called Snookums pets and they sell puppies and kittens and then sell deliver them all over the maritimes. You don't even have to go to the petstore, you can look them up online and pay with your credit card over the phone and he will deliver them to you. There has been alot of uproar about the place because several of the pups have been delivered to their homes sick. I have emailed them several times pleading for this to stop. Not once have I gotten a reply, but it is a monthly duty of mine. This guy even has a QandA page to respond to all of the emails he has gotten, claiming that all of his pups come from reputable breeders....c'mon...reputabl e breeders my a$$. Petstores that sell pups MAKE ME SICK!!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey