Author Topic: Are we too late?  (Read 14106 times)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Are we too late?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 09:27:01 am »
Hi from PupDaddy, father to 5 pyrs, or pyr mixs:
Earl 3 years
Kendra 10 months
and fosters:
Fluffy 4 months
Deuce 3 months
Donut 2 months

I didn't read everything everyone posted here, but I'm sure it's all good advice, since I taught them all everything they know!

Watch out for him, folks....  Not only does he ask people if they want to see his "Big Earl", he is responsible for THIS....   

I am not sure it is a Pyr, though - I think it is one of those white Newfoundlands. ...   ;D
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 09:36:08 am »
Hi from PupDaddy, father to 5 pyrs, or pyr mixs:
Earl 3 years
Kendra 10 months
and fosters:
Fluffy 4 months
Deuce 3 months
Donut 2 months

I didn't read everything everyone posted here, but I'm sure it's all good advice, since I taught them all everything they know!

Watch out for him, folks....  Not only does he ask people if they want to see his "Big Earl", he is responsible for THIS....   

I am not sure it is a Pyr, though - I think it is one of those white Newfoundlands. ...   ;D
That's too bad!....You know those white Newfies have just awful temperment! :D :D :D LOL!

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2005, 11:09:12 am »
Ok, Im going to get in the middle of this.... you guys didn't expect me to keep my mouth shut did ya?

As a note of introduction I will only say, that I am a breeder of Pyrs and have raised and been raised by them for 20 years now.

You ask if you are too late?  No.  You have a puppy here and she has to be given time to grow up.  With a Pyr that will be from 2 to 3 years of age with puppy hood starting to disapyr at about age 1.  So hang in there, because the end result will be a majestic, loving, protective creature that you will love more than life it'self.

The only mistake I see that you have made and that is corrected easily, is that you did not research the breed before getting a puppy.  If you had, then you would have been more prepared.  But since you didn't lets correct that problem.

First of all, to get to the point where you can be successful with this pup, you need to understand the breed.  They are so highly specialized that they do not fit the profile of most other breeds, so you need to understand their character.

I recommend you read this .. It's quite lengthy but it's very helpful in understanding what makes your dog tick, and very interesting.  We can go from here when you have read it and you can ask the questions that will no doubt arise from it.  I've read it and it is a true picture of the great pyrenees breed.

Patou's Journal
http://www.pyrenean-journal.com/patous.htm
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline orion5221

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kiahali
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2005, 11:22:36 am »
Hello,  I always have my pups on a leash for the first couple of months. That way if they are doing something wrong you can step on the leash and prevent them from doing it. It also prevents them from learning to avoid you and playing the chase me game :)  I lalso like to umbilical cord them to me with the leash, that way I am in control of where they are going and what they are doing. ( if they chew the leash you can try spraying bitter apple on the leash or rubbing in some vicks vapor rub)

If I cannot give them 100% attention I will crate them. I believe it is easier to prevent mistakes than to fix them, and having a pup in a crate is a sure way to make sure they are not in trouble. ( I do not use the crate as punishment, and the pup is never in ther for more than 2 hours)

A tired pup is a good pup. Mental and physical excercise is SO important. Incorporating training session thru out the day, and also going for a walk, playing some ball or swimming are all great ways.  I always have my pockets full with treats so I can reward the pup if it does something right. I also teach my dogs that before they get anything ( petting, food, water, going out) that they have to sit.

The first 4-5 months with a puppy is the hardest, because they know nothing, and it is our job to teach them. It is also soooo special because you get to expereince there "awe" for life :) I tell people that when they are getting a puppy, it is often like putting money in a bank. You have to put money in to get any out. All your hard work will be rewarded though if you put the time and effort  in. 
Keep us updated on your progress!!!
LA & Gang

Offline cincbcat

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2005, 03:26:46 pm »
She is getting there, as far as crate training goes.  She only sleeps in it while we are at work, we let her sleep in our bedroom with the door closed at night...as a sort of "trust experiment".  So far so good, no accidents or anything! (fingers crossed)!!!

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2005, 04:55:02 pm »
Ok, Im going to get in the middle of this.... you guys didn't expect me to keep my mouth shut did ya?

.... With a Pyr that will be from 2 to 3 years of age with puppy hood starting to disapyr at about age 1. 
Kenrda's 10 or 11 months now!!!

Hurry Father Time, Hurry!!!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2005, 06:30:14 pm »

.... With a Pyr that will be from 2 to 3 years of age with puppy hood starting to disapyr at about age 1. 
Kenrda's 10 or 11 months now!!!

Hurry Father Time, Hurry!!!
LOL!...I swear at 10 months Sam was still driving me nuts...Sometim e between then & 1 yr. he became a real dog. :'(

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2005, 09:12:52 pm »
...I recommend you read this .. It's quite lengthy but it's very helpful in understanding what makes your dog tick, and very interesting.  We can go from here when you have read it and you can ask the questions that will no doubt arise from it.  I've read it and it is a true picture of the great pyrenees breed.

Patou's Journal
Patou's Journal ends in 1998. What or where is the rest of his story? At age 15, I doubt that he's still with his goats, but I'd like to know the ending.

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2005, 09:17:54 pm »
I'll see what i can find out Walter.  I know his breeder.

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2005, 09:49:20 pm »

As a note of introduction I will only say, that I am a breeder of Pyrs and have raised and been raised by them for 20 years now.

You ask if you are too late?  No.  You have a puppy here and she has to be given time to grow up.  With a Pyr that will be from 2 to 3 years of age with puppy hood starting to disapyr at about age 1.  So hang in there, because the end result will be a majestic, loving, protective creature that you will love more than life it'self.

The only mistake I see that you have made and that is corrected easily, is that you did not research the breed before getting a puppy.  If you had, then you would have been more prepared.  But since you didn't lets correct that problem.

First of all, to get to the point where you can be successful with this pup, you need to understand the breed.  They are so highly specialized that they do not fit the profile of most other breeds, so you need to understand their character.

I recommend you read this .. It's quite lengthy but it's very helpful in understanding what makes your dog tick, and very interesting.  We can go from here when you have read it and you can ask the questions that will no doubt arise from it.  I've read it and it is a true picture of the great pyrenees breed.

Patou's Journal
Wow Jackie!!...Patou's Journal is incredible!!...I really want to  get those goats next spring for my boys!!!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 05:32:27 am by GYPSY JAZMINE »

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2005, 07:21:17 am »
I love reading Patou's Journal.  Sugar Bear is from the Aneto Kennel in north Georgia. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 07:27:07 am by DixieSugarBear »
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline cincbcat

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2005, 07:32:49 am »
I read the journal, and at some points I got chills.  Last night, after reading your posts and advice, I began to look at Sadie in a different way.  She's always under my feet because she loves me and doesn't want to miss anything...I will hide the garbage cans and she'll get lots of baths from the squirt bottle if she goes for the cat.  I think we are going to bite the (expensive) bullet and enroll her in school too.  My husband seems to think he knows how to train a dog (HA!)...but as you all reminded me, she's not a dog, she's a pyr.  I really do appreciate all the wonderful advice you guys gave me, just the sheer number of responses blew me away.  I look forward to posting more of our story in the future. 
Rachel

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2005, 07:49:50 am »
Rachel, it has happen that cute little pyr as made a place in your soul.  She will now forever be a part of you. She will still make you crazy at times but she will love you with everything she is.  Take lots of photos and try your best to remember every little crazy thing she does.  After all the 10-12 years we are given with our special babies will never be enough for us.  Keep in mind two Pyrs are twice the fun ;)  I got Dixie when Sugar Bear was 9 months old and they have the best time together. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Astrids mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2005, 07:56:39 am »
Hi Cincbcat,

I had the same moment as you are having now. You just realize that all they want is your love and attention. I have had to adjust many aspects of my life that I really was not prepared for but it is worth it. I also have the same problem with the kitties and Astrid she thinks they are fun to chase around but they cant stand it. I cried many times thinking what have I done to my kitties lifes they are living in fear and are very mad at me (oh the guilt). I'm so glad that you have a different view on things. I know what you mean about the # of responces blowing you away the folks on this board are grrrrreat!!!!!! Cant wait to hear more. Heres to surviving puppy hood together! Erika

P.S. Is she potty trained yet? This is the really tough one for me.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2005, 08:11:53 am »
I know Willow is not a Pyr, but there were some thoughts at 2am and 4am running through my head like "what the H%^& have I done?" or "things were so peacefull with just the little dogs", But it does get better and I am so happy that we have her...she is such a doll and I look forward to spending my life with her!