Author Topic: Doctoring up Kibble  (Read 9717 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Re: Doctoring up Kibble
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 02:54:50 pm »
This is great, I knew other people did it too.  We just get cheap lunchmeat like Carl Buddig and like I said before, chop it up in warm water and add that.  Whenever we get doggie bags at restaurants or have leftovers, Drake gets his share.  Dogs are such a good way to get rid of excess food.  And a little bit goes a long way.  Some of you add all the healthy stuff, which makes sense, but between the extra healthy kibble and the few supplements I add, that seems like enough nutrition for Drake.  At least at this stage of life for him.  The other stuff I add is purely for flavor and for Drakes enjoyment! ;D ;D ;D
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 09:07:47 am »
lol - Next time my family gives me a hard time about my adding goodies to my dogs' supper, I can tell them I'm not the only one in the world who does it!

My kiddies generally get a liquid (water, chicken or beef broth) as well as a meat, usually cooked turkey or beef (breakfast is dry kibble). Sometimes I'll give them an egg yolk (heard the whites were bad for them); plain, fat-free yogurt; carrots or peas.

RE raw chicken ... I use to feed my shiba 2 raw wings every day, along with his kibble. Sometimes, if the boney parts (ie wings or backs) weren't available, drumsticks were on his menu. He never had any problems eating them and one of the benefits I noticed was his poop ... it was small and not as stinky as his kibble poo. Plus it seemed to be more readily biodegradeable, if poo can be called that!   ;)
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2005, 09:09:38 am »
yep poop is much better with the raw meaty bones...it just turns white and dries up and is much smaller

ann

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2005, 10:11:01 am »

i feed merrick dry with canned it looks like stew they love it..sometimes they get cottage cheese but they like the merrick so much i don't realy need to add anything...abo ut the raw bones if you decide to try it becareful and do alot of research of your own..i tried the rawbones and all 3 of my dogs got so sick and i heard raw bones are softer and don't splinter but try to break up a raw chicken those bones can be very sharp......... .......

for everyone who feeds raw bones this is not a put down just my own exsperance.... .............

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2005, 10:49:10 am »
Salmon, flax seed oil, 500mg's Esther C, Glucosamine and Chondroitin, 2tbs plain yogurt, brewer's yeast, and garlic.
ehh.. there are quality kibbles that contain almost everything (except the yogurt & maybe garlic) mentioned in your kibble additives...