Author Topic: Hi Everyone Im new  (Read 10834 times)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Hi Everyone Im new
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 02:59:50 pm »
I can see why you would want more of the cute little ball of fur.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 03:21:19 pm »
Welcome! I'm a Newflvr too!!  I have two:  Cowboy, a 2 1/2 year old Landseer who is epileptic (so DO be careful with breeding...he's neutered!) and Chester, a six month old brown baby who is so full of life and love!  Everyone here is great, and kind, and you can ask the dumbest questions in the world and you'll get back SOOO much info;  and then we all learn from it!

Welcome again!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2005, 03:30:51 pm »
Welcome from me and my big pawed boys too! Your newfoundlands are beautiful. You will learn A LOT on this board! I have!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2005, 03:42:13 pm »
Welcome to BPO! You have very lovely newfs :) I am glad to hear you are researching more before you breed; there is so much involved that people  would never guess, and you have to be very careful before you breed.
RIP former BPO

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2005, 04:07:37 pm »
Hey, Landie and Gunther have the same birthday.

How cool is that!!  :D

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2005, 05:28:30 pm »
Welcome, your newfs are awesome!! Can't wait to see more!!!

Offline NewfieLover

• Gnawer
  • *Newfoundland*Lover*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2005, 09:56:06 pm »
Haha that is awsome that they have the same birthday!  Also to let everyone know i did get them from a petstore i worked at because they both arrived very depressed and would only interact with me and the petstore said they got them from "breeders' but couple months after i got Landie my co-worker did some research and they sposiably get them from a puppy mill :( But i dont know for sure All i know is they have a great home better me than someone that has NO IDEA about the breed buying them like people always do in that store..  but anyways... I am happy their is such a website so i can continue to learn about my big fuzz balls. lol i just went and got them their daily pigs ear ;D   Thank you everyone for all the comments! I can use all the help i can get with learning everything about the breed I'm only 17 but i have been around Newfys for 12 years but i do still need some teaching!  And by the way any suggestions what i should feed my Newfys I started off with Nutro and then i switched to Dog Chow and now they are eating Beniful (which they love) i just want to make sure they get all the nutrients they need!! Thanks everyone!!!!!! *Megan*

smohr

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2005, 10:17:22 pm »
 :)  Welcome, welcome, welcome.  Those newfs are beautiful and BIG!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2005, 09:16:46 am »
Hello again Megan!
That's a shame about your dogs possibly coming from a puppy mill! They are very lucky to have ended up in your hands! If they are not spayed and neutered please be very careful not to have an accidental breeding at your house! With the possibility that they came from a puppy mill, you never know what breeding stock was used for them! See if you can trace where they came from because that will be crucial information if you want to have a litter. It is sketchy keeping them together if they are not fixed, as we all know here even people who are trying to be careful can end up with an accidental litter, and that is the kind of thing that would be much better being well-planned out!!!
Good luck with them! More pictures, please!!! Especially the Landseer!! ;)

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2005, 04:18:51 pm »
Hey! I've been looking into breeding for awhile now, as I have my heart set on owning a Doberman Pinscher Kennel and I remembered I had this website in my bookmarks and thought you might be interested in it.
www.learntobre ed.com it's a pretty cool site!
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2005, 07:22:13 am »
Breeding is a very very very very expensive, time consuming, no life for yourself, job
it is Very expensive and risky.
you could loose your female, and all the pups.
you could loose the pups and not hte female.
breeding is also bettering the lines, and matching males and females properly, if you think of breeding your boy to your girl, do you know the faults your girl has? the boy?
do they offset those faults?
do you know structure, movement the breed standard?
just becouse dogs are ofa does not mean the pups will be.
out of lines that are cleared up and down, out of six pups you still will get two that wont clear, possibly three, the odds are same for one cleared and one not.
those with rose colored glasses normally are the ones who never bred anything but repeat what they hear on the net.
did you know that cleared up and down on both ends could produce a litter of disaplastic pups?
did you know there is more than genetics involved?
do you know the growth in a young pup, how to coach your puppy people?
Champions in a pedigree dont mean squat to me, seeing a dogs movement in his own environment?
that means everything to me, to watch an incredible moving dog in his own environment is a beautiful thing.
there is so much involved, that one must make sure that they are financially sound, have the time, are willing to give up normal life, and also are aware of how to imprint train those pups.
puppies are worked and kept in my living rooom until they leave at ten weeks.
they require more and more attention as they get older.
pet store puppies are normally sold to the store from millers.
do you know the lines ?
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2005, 07:30:09 am »
Hi sarnewfie,  I have just started reading a little about imprint train are there any good web-sites or books you would suggest.  I have a daydream (only a daydream at this time) of one day owing a Great Pyrenees kennel.  It would be after I have sold my business and could work it 24/7. That way I have 2/3 years to study everything I can find on showing and breeding. 

Lisa

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2005, 08:22:34 am »

My goodness, where do i start?

First of all, of course you won't breed until they are both 2 years old, because OFA certification cannot be done until then. I'm sure you don't want to breed and produce unhealthy puppies.

Next, I want to ask you a simple question:

IF you breed your dogs, and should you get a nice sized litter, let's say 10 puppies. (not uncommon in Newfies).

Now let's say you spend the first week or so with the bitch and take flawless care of the puppies. You tag and ID each one like good breeders do, and keep records of how they behave. You have all the health care done, and feed them the best food.

Now when they get to be 4-5 weeks old, you are going to call up the local pet store, and sell them 4 or 5 of the puppies so that they can put them in window cages, and sell them to anyone who has the cash, right? No screening, no contract, just anyone who has the money to buy them. Right?

No? You don't want to do that?

Well, I don't blame you. But that is what happened with YOUR puppies. NO BREEDER who has ANY care whatsoever about what happens to their puppies will sell any puppy for resale.

I would DROWN my babies myself before I would EVER sell them to anyone for resale.

It is absolutely CERTAIN that your dogs came from commercial or high risk breeders who either do not understand how to breed dogs, or do not care.

I guarantee you your dogs should not be bred.

Breeding can be hard. Many if not most times, in addition to being about the miracle of life, it's also about the miracle of death.

Puppies can die, bitches can die, and/or they can all die. Complications can be difficult and expensive. You can be left with a grieving bitch with no puppies, or 10 puppies to feed and clean every 3 hours around the clock and no mommy dog to help.

Breeding should be well thought out, and people should plan to spend at least several YEARS educating themselves in their chosen breed before considering breeding from the very BEST animals they are able to purchase.

If you are DETERMINED to breed, your bitch should be carefully evaluated by people in the know in Newfs so that you can figure out what her faults (all dogs have them, some more than others) and virtues are.

At the very least, you should send her to a CH dog, and not just the dog who happens to be standing in your yard.

I urge you to CAREFULLY CONSIDER and then REconsider the wisdom of breeding your 2 dogs who came from the pet store.

Most people really do not like to hear that their dogs are likely not suitable for breeding, and that breeding them would be irresponsible, but the vast majority of dogs should NOT be bred.

Breeding carries with is such a weight of responsibility for me that it is almost impossible to describe.

EACH breeding has an effect  on your breed for eternity. You are adding to the gene pool. It pays to think very carefully before proceeding.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2005, 08:32:49 am »
Hello & welcome to B.P.'s!...I love Newfies!...It was one of the breeds I was considering when I got my 2nd Pyr...It was close but I do so love Pyrs!...I'm glad you joined us!...There is a wealth of info. & knowlege here!...So far as the breeding goes...I will just say that I agree with Red!...I love my dogs dearly & think they are top notch!...Sammy however is not a good example of the breed (ouch that hurts to say!) in both temperment & his apperance though I think he is the most beautiful dog ever of coarse!...lol...Pippi n is a show quality dog who could easily be bred to better the breed...But, I just want a big ol' fluffball to love & cuddle up with so he gets the big snip on the 19th of this month...He has the perfect Pyr temperment too...Breeding is serious business & I will leave it to the experts...Good luck with whatever you decided & again welcome!!! :)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2005, 08:33:15 am »
I have come up with one simple question I ask my daily is:

If I breed I am willing to take care of not only my dam's puppies but their puppies and their puppies and their puppies for the rest of my life. 

If I say YES (99% of the time) to that question for the next two year then I will plan to be a breeder. 

For now I print every post about breeding and add it to a three ring binder I read daily.

Lisa