Author Topic: New Deadly Dog Flu  (Read 3029 times)

Offline suzanne

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • raised dog feeder
New Deadly Dog Flu
« on: October 01, 2005, 09:21:33 am »
There is a deadly flu virus that is spreading in dogs. Info about it has appeared in recent articles in the NYTimes, Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, and some national TV news broadcasts.  It started in 2004 with Greyhounds in Florida who ate  contanminated horsemeat.  It is highly contagous...sp read through the air....and is creating widespread concern at dog shows, kennels etc.  The mortality rate is 5% - 8%. For more info, you can do a search...dog flu...on Google, Yahoo etc.  One of the most comprehensive articles  I have seen on it is at  http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/dogflu.asp

Suzanne   (Mommy to)
Sophia, 5 1/2 yr. old Great Pyrenees
Riggs, 9 1/2 mo. old Newfoundland (very proud grandson of Josh, winner of the 2004 Westminster Dog Show)
Suzanne, Sophia (5 yr. old Pyr) and Riggs (10 month old Newf)

www.raiseddogf eeder.com

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Re: New Deadly Dog Flu
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 09:51:42 am »
I know that it resembles kennel cough but with a very high fever.  I think pups, older dogs, dogs with lower  immunity are more at risk.  I was on wholesome danes yahoo message board and they were suggesting boosting immunity by giving grape seed extract and oil of oregano.

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: New Deadly Dog Flu
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 11:55:10 am »
Thanks for the heads up.
We knew about it, looking out for it, and stressing over it.
By the way, your people are drop dead gorgious!
Stay in touch and send pics.
Tulsa
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman