Author Topic: Scary hip problems in Nigel's sisters!!!  (Read 5927 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Scary hip problems in Nigel's sisters!!!
« on: September 08, 2005, 02:14:22 pm »
I received a frightening email today from the woman I adopted Nigel from. She has kept 5 of the puppies from his litter, and two of Nigel's sisters aren't doing well.

"Two of the sis's have some type of hip problem.  They have NO muscle tone in their back legs and they seem to have some trouble getting around.  I'm going to take one to the vet tomorrow and get a diagnosis (they both have the same thing so if I get one diagnosed I'll know whats wrong with both).  I'm afraid they'll have trouble the rest of their lives...  I thought at first they might grow out of it as sometimes large breed dogs develop funny (their bones outgrow their muscles) but this doesnt seem to be the case. I'm afraid the two girls might not have very healthy lives..."

I am so scared!!!  :'( I guess there will be a diagnosis tomorrow, but what if it is genetic!? I feel so bad for those two puppies... I am looking at Nigel and he seems put together very well, he has never had any visible hip issues, has has a goofy gait but I think it's because his paws are so big... I'm just nervous now. I know there are a lot of people on here who have gone through hip troubles with their dogs... does anyone remember when theirs came up? Nigel and siblings are just 6 months now. Oh I hope my boy is going to be ok... it sounds so scary! Does it sound like hip displaysia?????
 :'(

lins_saving_grace

Re: Scary hip problems in Nigel's sisters!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 02:17:36 pm »
Maybe it doesn't affect all the puppies.   Think positive. 
A lot of things with hips/elbows aren't always hip dysplasia.   Lady had a limp for a while and the vet didn't think it was dysplasia since she is so young. 
Just wait till the vet tells you what it is and go from there.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 02:25:06 pm »
Here's wishing you & those pups the very best.

Offline SwissysRock

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • I love my SWISSY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 02:35:53 pm »
Sending positive vibes to you and Nigel.  Keep your chin up!
Tina
:)
Riley's Momma

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 02:46:20 pm »
my pup had a similar issue before we got him from the rescue.... their vet attributed it to a parasite of some sort.  He is 100% over it now, but apparently he crawled everywhere he went, or went nowhere at all for awhile.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 02:56:59 pm »
Sending all my love to sweet Nigel.  Let's keep our fingers crossed that if only 2 of his siblings have exhibited these symptoms, and he has not had any symptoms yet, that he WON'T. 
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 03:25:27 pm »
Thanks for all the support you guys! I already have visions in my head of Nigel in one of those doggie-wheelchair things that you see in the ads in DogFancy magazine! If that's what it comes to I'll do it! But hopefully he will be ok!

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 04:43:28 pm »
Will keep fingers crossed. Ty walked up while posting and said poor dogs. Maybe just the two other pups.
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 04:45:17 pm »
well - positive thoughts!!!!  I am sure everything will be ok..and if not then you will just take one day at a time.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Scary hip problems...hip advice??
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 12:07:02 am »
Update on Nigel's siblings...
I still haven't heard anything about the two sisters who are having trouble, but Nigel's brother "Rocky" has officially been diagnosed with hip displaysia. The vet is already recommending surgery for him at 7 months old. That sounds crazy to me!!! Honestly, I haven't done any research on HD yet but I can't imagine putting a pup that age under the knife for such an extreme procedure!! But what do I know!?!
The last time I saw Nigel's siblings, I did notice that Nigel looked like he was put together better than the other pups, which is really just a lucky coincidence for me, because when I picked out Nigel he looked just the same as all the others. But now there is a pretty big difference in gait and structure. I think Nigel looks good, he walks the same as my dog Zoot, and his legs don't bow out weird or anything. He has never had any trouble getting around. He is pretty lean, he's eating what I think is an excellent quality food, and now I am thinking I should go on ahead and start supplementing for ultimate hip health. I read somewhere on the board that Vitamin C is good so I'll start that right away, does anyone have some recommendation s? Glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM? Are these ok for a 7 month old? I am also thinking that I  might go the "holistic" route with Nigel if problems do come up, and see what can be done with alternative therapies like acupuncture. I am hoping for the best but of course I want to have a plan for if things start looking sketchy for him.
Hmm.. I am looking at some pictures of him now, maybe his hips do look weird? But he is not a purebred by any means, so god knows his conformation is funky!!!
Anyone with HD experience, words of wisdom, please? :-\

BabsT

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 12:13:06 am »
It is hard with large breed dogs because they are growing so much at different rates etc...You can xray and see where he is in regards to hips...You can supp some vitamin C once a day...start out with smaller doeses and gradually increase...if the dog gets the runs, cut back on amount...I dont supplement everyday but Zero gets 1000mg and Misha 500mg 

Vitc C is water soluable...wha tever the body doesnt use, it goes out with the urine...in regards to other vitamins be careful becaue the might be fat soluable

Icerotti

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 12:24:23 am »
I agree with babst  It would be good to get a hip xray done now then you have a baseline to go from in the future. I did have a male rotti who had hip D . He was 6 months old. His ended up being very bad.  One littermate had it not as bad and the rest were fine. His gait went funny and he would yelp getting up once and a while. You know your dog and if there was a problem you would notice a difference from what he use to be like.Definatle y start supplementing. Red would be a good person to ask about that.
Just keep an eye on him for any changes and don't hesitate to act if you see any.
Paws and fingers crossed here for Nigel. ;)

The picture is of Hogan...my HD pup. See how he use to stand with his right back leg (left when looking at the picture) that hip was hardly in the socket.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 12:31:14 am by Icerotti »

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 12:33:53 am »
Take a deep breath and think positive. Please let us know what you find out.  Sugar Bear has been going through Pano since about 5 months old. He is now 15 months and it is looking like he is now over it.  Maybe your boy is the one with good hips in the litter.  We are sending you lots of good wishes.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 03:44:07 am »
Oh no! Think positive and things will be alright. Remember that he is a pup and even though you will have him x-rayed and that might show dysplasia right now....it might not hold true in a year or two. The bones/joints in big dogs often look out of place when they are growing so quickly and solidify into place when they mature.
We were told Bear had elbow dysplasia when he was about 6 months old cuz he limped after an accident one day and he is now healthy as a horse! No dysplasia at all!!He takes supplements and gets great exercise for joints (running in sand and swimming) so he was able to build up his muscles well. I listened to the advice of friends and my breeder and my dog turned out perfect!
Nigel will be fine!  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.