Author Topic: Hunting dog + neutering =??  (Read 4186 times)

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Hunting dog + neutering =??
« on: September 08, 2005, 02:50:48 pm »
Okay hunting dog folks (or any other knowledgeable soul), dish out some of your experience ... my neighbor has an unneutered male German pointer. He says neutering the boy will ruin the dog's hunting ability. I say hogwash ... who's right?
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting dog + neutering =??
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 03:01:09 pm »
I was actually just reading today about if neutering will ruin the dog's drive.  Most people say that is hogwash and that testosterone has no effect on a dog's drive. Then another person said that it is best to neuter before any testosterone related behaviors are habituated.  But I have no experiance in this so I have no idea...
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 03:12:22 pm »
My brother in law has two labs that he uses for hunting all the time and the older one was neutered at about three years.  That dog's instinct is still intact although the rest of him isn't! ;)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 03:31:30 pm »
I called Araby's breeder on this.  He says it's bull.  Hunting ability has nothing to do with the dogs "Innards", but with the drive and love that the dog has for it.  Thousands spent on training is wasted if the dog doesn't really love doing it.  All of Araby's brothers are fixed and they're all great hunting dogs.  One is on the field trial circuit but I forget what his registered name is.  It's BS.  Men look for any and all excuses to avoid a dog getting neutered because they can't help but put themselves in that position.  They don't want half their brain getting whacked off.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 03:38:21 pm »
I have not heard of anything like that. Many dogs hunt that are fixed.

http://www.all-creatures.org/aip/nl-26dec2003-paw.html
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 03:54:43 pm by Icerotti »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 04:05:46 pm »
Being from the midwest, where hunting is very popular, I can tell you that is complete crap.  I would think most hunters would want their dogs fixed as it makes them more focused on hunting, and less on females.

There are very few hunting dogs I know of that aren't fixed, and the ones that aren't are breeding stock.

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 08:52:17 am »
Thanks to all for sharing your "neuter know-how."  I thought my neighbor was rationale was weird but since I don't have hunting dogs, who am I to say. I guess I'll never understand the male protectiveness toward his - and his dog's - jewels.  ;)
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret