Author Topic: Raw Fish?  (Read 3889 times)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Raw Fish?
« on: September 08, 2005, 02:48:34 pm »
As many of you know Sugar Bear and Dixie Darlin love to play in our pond.  I take a dead fish out of Dixie's mouth almost every day and throw it away.  Since I do not want her to eat fish that are dead could I feed her fish we catch for her?  I know you are not to mix raw and kibble. Is it ok to feed them a raw fish as a treat if I make sure they do not get kibble at the same time.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Fish?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 02:54:47 pm »
Judging by the very quick (and by no means extensive) research I just did on this - looks like they CAN have raw fish. 

Don't trust me though, let's wait and see what the experts have to say!  ;D
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 02:57:04 pm »
I have had other say it is fine.  I just want to be sure since my dog are not on BARF or RAW feed.  Maybe if I feed her fresh fish she will leave the dead fish alone.  What happens is a stray cat or a bird will kill and fish and leave half of it at the water edge and Dixie think it is the best treat in the world. 

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 03:00:26 pm »
hi Lisa,
you can give them raw fish - heads, bones and all...I havent started mine with fish yet, but I will.  Maybe once every week to two.  and you can supplement kibble with raw meaty bones.  Pitcarin has an excellent section in his book about supplementing kibble fed dogs with natural food.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 03:02:57 pm »
I love the idea of adding natural food to kibble.  What is the name of the book?  Not sure I am ready to do the whole RAW thing but I know they would love to stand around while we fish if they get to eat the fish.

Lisa
hi Lisa,
you can give them raw fish - heads, bones and all...I havent started mine with fish yet, but I will.  Maybe once every week to two.  and you can supplement kibble with raw meaty bones.  Pitcarin has an excellent section in his book about supplementing kibble fed dogs with natural food.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 03:03:10 pm »
But, Mommy, like fine wine, fish are better AGED!   :P
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 03:11:10 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0875962432/qid=1126213522/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_9/104-2439135-2178300?v=glance&s=books

Here is the amazon link

the book is called - Dr Pitcarin's complete guide to natural health for dogs and cats

Also Dr Ian Billinghurts "give your dog a bone" has good stuff in there and I believe even has a small section about feeding both kibble and raw.

I was very overwhelmed when I first started and mixed kibble and raw for a few weeks before switching entirely.  The dogs just love the raw meaty bones....  once you get a syatem down it is actually pretty easy and cheaper then buying processed food.  Good luck and let me know if you have any questions...I know RED feeds raw and has been doing it longer then I have - also would be a great source of info also.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 03:17:40 pm »
I can not belive you guys and another pyr owner have me thinking about going RAW.  I am not there yet but I am thinking about it. Thanks so much for the info.  After 4 different foods I can not find one that works for Sugar Bear.  He just finished a round of Albon.  The day after  the hurricane he got into a ice chest and removed 4 bottle of power drinks.  The caps were off and the bottle empty.  So it was back to an upset tummy for him.   

Thanks for the info, I will check out the book.

Lis

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0875962432/qid=1126213522/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_9/104-2439135-2178300?v=glance&s=books

Here is the amazon link

the book is called - Dr Pitcarin's complete guide to natural health for dogs and cats

Also Dr Ian Billinghurts "give your dog a bone" has good stuff in there and I believe even has a small section about feeding both kibble and raw.

I was very overwhelmed when I first started and mixed kibble and raw for a few weeks before switching entirely.  The dogs just love the raw meaty bones....  once you get a syatem down it is actually pretty easy and cheaper then buying processed food.  Good luck and let me know if you have any questions...I know RED feeds raw and has been doing it longer then I have - also would be a great source of info also.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 03:35:20 pm »
Maybe the dried up fish are not so bad, check this out:    http://www.driedfishfordogs.com/benefits.htm

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 04:11:47 pm »
Well just do your research...I read tons of stuff...  I thought there is absolutely no way I could do this - I don't even cook for my kids....but you know what it is pretty easy once you get started.  My poms coats look awesome -- and they have dropped weight.  My female pom was chunky - now she has a waist line.

That dried fish thing looks cool....if you think about it - dogs in the wild bury stuff and come back to eat it several days later - bacteria doesn't bother them like us.  Their GI systems are set up to handle it - to a point.  So a fish that got murdered in the night might not be so bad in the morning...at least for the dogs...lol  not fo me  yuk!!!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 07:55:49 pm »
Red, I know you feed RAW.  Is it ok for me to feed my guys raw fish as a treat.  For meals I feed kibble.

Lisa

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 06:50:16 am »
I think I will just keep taking them away from Dixie and Sugar Bear when they find them.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 11:08:18 am »
In the history of Newfoundland dogs they used to work for dried fish as that was thier main diet and were seen catching there own fish!