Author Topic: Stinky Dogs  (Read 7210 times)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Stinky Dogs
« on: September 09, 2005, 12:19:09 pm »
I know I have seen multiply threads on stinky dogs but I have some questions....
1.  Do females in heat have a stronger doggy stink smell than normal?
2.  How do I keep my dogs from stinky without weekly baths?
3.  Does arm and hammer baking soda sprinkled on their coats hurt their skin?
4.  Does anyone know of a dog wash product that does not contain soap?
5.  Would rubbing them down with drying sheets hurt or help?
6.  Would spraying them with a febreeze type product hurt or help?
7.  What about shaving all their hair off, would that eliminate the stink?
8.  Anything I could feed them that would give them a more pleasant odor?

Daily brushing helps a little.  The weekly bath keeps them nice smelly from when they dry until 3 days later. 
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

lins_saving_grace

Re: Stinky Dogs
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 12:31:31 pm »
Grace knows that carpet deodorizer does not hurt. 

I just bathe them weekly no matter what.  they need it tonight or tomorrow morning. they have a play date tonight (Sherman won't care if they stink) and tomorrow with a new Rott friend, Chelsea.  I want them to smell their best. 

I love bath times on Saturdays.  :)  so it's just fun to do.
Have you tried the cologne you can get at the pet store.  I know certain times of the year it seems to have to bathe them 3 times a week...but who wants to do that.

I think you'd still have stink no matter which of the many products you've asked about...includ ing the baldness.  :)

ann

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 12:46:39 pm »

i  bathe my dogs  weekly and i use a grooming spray in between keeping the brushed helps alot too........... .............. .i wonder if they think we stink ???

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 12:51:13 pm »
I know Rocco thinks I stink because he is constantly sniffing my feet, legs, butt, and shirt when I sit down.  He likes my stink even though I don't like his stink.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 12:54:31 pm »
I think they like our stink.  We must smell really funny when clean.

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 01:18:00 pm »
why is it that i always read we shouldn't wash the dogs often, something to the effect of "bathing a dog too often can be bad for his skin because it strips off the protective oils" yada yada...

i mean.. once a week.. that seems like a lot... i've had this mental imagery of dog washing as a benefit for us owners, less so for the dogs themselves...

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 01:20:10 pm »
why is it that i always read we shouldn't wash the dogs often, something to the effect of "bathing a dog too often can be bad for his skin because it strips off the protective oils" yada yada...

i mean.. once a week.. that seems like a lot... i've had this mental imagery of dog washing as a benefit for us owners, less so for the dogs themselves...
you're probably right...it's more for our benefit that we bathe them.  I just like to have all the loose hair washed out and to have them smell good.
I wonder (and I'll see if I can't find out) if dog poo has oils and stuff to replenish the ones we shampoo out.
I use a conditioning poo with ALoe Vera for dry skin on Lady and still puppy poo for Grace.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 01:45:59 pm »
Nature's Miracle makes a product (I forget the exact name at the moment) that you can spray right onto the dog's coat the rub it in with a cloth or paper towel.  I use it on Sophie between baths (which she only get like maybe every other month, if that much...).  It has the same enzime/odor killer stuff in it as their pet mess clean up stuff.

I've also tried the dog wipes that come in the light blue packaging. I think they're just called pet wipes... or dog wipes...  They look like baby wipes for dogs.  They smell nice but the smell doesn't last very long.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 01:47:19 pm »
oh and  Arm & Hammer makes a really nice dog conditioner with baking soda in it.  It smell great and lasts a while. I really like it.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 02:00:27 pm »
This is something I have learned over the years- different foods will make dogs smell different. I used to feed a dog of mine Eukanuba and let me tell you, she stunk so bad. I switched her to some kind of food made with lamb and rice- and her smell changed completely and was MUCH more pleasant. It was the strangest thing. I never would have guessed it. I don't know if you are in a position to switch your dogs' food just in case it might make them smell better, but, I just had to add that in since it worked for me. ;)

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 02:21:43 pm »
I only bathe my dogs about 1x a month they don't smell but they get dirty from being outside. My old girl Chazzy has dermatitis, she does smell if it flairs up. The shampoo the vet gave is expensise don't remember the name but I tried Selsen Blue & the results were good.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 02:30:49 pm »
Over bathing your dog can be bad for their skin.  We try to brush Drake every day and only wash him every other week unless he's been swimming.  The sprays you can find in the Pet stores work great.  The brand we use is called "Eco-first"  or "Earthpet" or something like that.  We love the Mango Tango smell.  You just spray a light mist over their coat and head and rub it in until it's dry.  Then you brush them out, the spray will actually work as a conditioner.  I would suggest getting a Carder brush because that's how we get alot of the stinky clumps out of Drake's hair, but you have shorthaired dogs so that might not be necessary.  Good luck fixing this issue...
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 02:57:17 pm »
I'd have to disagree with that with my dogs at least...Sam has some minor skin issues & keeping him clean keeps him from being miserable & itchy....Also, my dogs both live in the house & they like to play & dig in the mud...I would rather not have the mud on my carpets where my children play.
As far as inbetween freshening...I use a wonderful leave in conditioner that I spray on in between baths...Keeps their coats shiny & leaves a nice smell.

ann

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 03:45:30 pm »

weekly baths are ok if you use the right products, trust me i know what i'm doing..and its not to please me one of my boxers has a fungal problem and i live in a country setting so my dogs are in weeds, mud and coon poop...and i'm sure much more...and i also   just read a book on dog health and he said a bath once a week is ok....i'll run with his advice , sorry tonyc but he is a vet and can almost bet his degree is better than yours......... .............. ......

ann

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 09:38:31 pm »
This is from the Great Pyrenees Club web-site. 

"The Great Pyrenees is one of the easiest of all breeds to maintain properly because he has been endowed with a coat which is self-cleaning, tangle and mat resistant. It may sound like one of the new miracle fabrics. It’s not. It is an old miracle. That coat really does shed dirt, really does clean itself!"

Sugar Bear and Dixie get a little baby power daily so they smell good, brushed daily, and a bath every 2 months.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)