Author Topic: Cat Food  (Read 8344 times)

Kiahpyr

Cat Food
« on: September 09, 2005, 01:48:22 pm »
I have noticed that a lot of BPO members also have cats. I was wondering what brand of cat food you feed your cats? I know Science Diet isn't good for dogs and that's what I feed my cats. They are on the light hair ball stuff. Which is okay, but they have dry skin. Any ideas?

Yes I know this is a dog place, but I like to take good care of all of my animals. My cats haven't had much attention since the dog came along. 

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Cat Food
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 02:15:52 pm »
I feed Pro Pac (not Pro Plan by Purinea) It is a private lable food & they don't do much if any advertising so it is reasonable...I tried other more "premium" brands but I have 8 cats & this is the 1st food I found that they all do well on so I stuck with it.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 02:19:37 pm »
My cats are so finicky!!!  One will only eat dog kibble and the other only nutromax...lol  I have tried expensive stuff and raw stuff...nothin g...it is very frustrating because I knw they could be doing better nutritionly.

Offline SwissysRock

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • I love my SWISSY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 02:23:19 pm »
Both Pudding and JOJO have only ever eaten Eukaneuba kitty food - just the dry stuff.  I've never tried the wet food, I've heard it makes them have smelly farts!!!  :D  I figure since they've never had it, they don't "miss it". 

OOOh, and they absolutely LOVE Whiskas Cat Milk - Costs like $.89 and comes in a little juicebox at the grocery store.
Tina
:)
Riley's Momma

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 02:25:02 pm »
I have 2 cats, they go in/out as they wish. I only feed dry purina special care. I had cats in the past that had F.U.S. (feline urinary syndrome) the ash & magnesium in the food cause that.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 03:44:42 pm »
Beautiful cats, Kiahpyr! I feed my one and only cat a food called Natural Balance. It seems to be rather hard to find but I buy it at Superpetz. Before I found this food I gave him Solid Gold, which didn't agree with his digestive system. Before that I gave him Purina One, but I wanted to find something a little more holistic/natural to give him which is why I wanted to switch. He really enjoys this new stuff and his coat is soft as can be, and he is one healthy little tiger. I love him to death!! ;D
He is called... Don Gato.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 07:39:19 pm »
I don't have any cats now but I grew up with them. My mom feeds her cats friskies - a few years ago she tried to switch to a premuim brand but everything made them sick, so back to friskies it was. She also gives them a vitamin supplement but I can't remember what it's called.. It's funny, I would never feed Zoey a grocery store brand like friskies, but my family's cats are like 20 (human years) so it's working out for them just fine...
RIP former BPO

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 08:02:38 pm »
These are my 2 cats. Fat Sassy and Physco Shadow. They will only eat meow mix. Sassy is 9 1/2  Shadow is 1 year.Sassy

Shadow
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 10:17:01 pm »
I feed our 3 cats Whiskas dry and Presidents Choice wet food ( they get wet food twice a day ). We've tried other brands but they want to eat the Whiskas. Right now I'm trying to get them interested in 'Chicken Soup for the Cat's Soul' , as my foster momma cat eats that . She actually eats the CS for the kitten's soul. She was skin and bones when I got her and has 5 kittens to feed so I went out and bought her that and she loves it !  She also gets wet food , the President's Choice canned food again. The kittens are now 4 weeks old and I will have them and their mom with me till mid October.  Since I am feeding momma the  better quality dry, my cats have become interested in at least trying it, lol lol.

First picture is Sobe
Second picture is Cosmo
Third picture is Baby Rue

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 12:19:09 am »
Here's my pride.

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 12:38:15 am »
AAAHHH!  I know it is not recommended, BUT>>>>  My cats eat with my dogs literally out of the same bowl at the same time, they eat their food.  2 adults 1 baby and they all are healthy as can be!
We feed Nutra Ultra MAx!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 12:41:41 am »
AAAHHH!  I know it is not recommended, BUT>>>>  My cats eat with my dogs literally out of the same bowl at the same time, they eat their food.  2 adults 1 baby and they all are healthy as can be!
We feed Nutra Ultra MAx!
I've heard that cats eating dog food as their main food source causes eye problems in the long term...Namely blindness.
http://very-evil-cats.net/feed.htm
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 12:44:40 am by GYPSY JAZMINE »

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 07:21:06 am »
My cats split a small can in the morning and one at supper.  It is usually Friskies or PC or Our compliments.  They LLOOVVEE  the Prime Grill with Beef.  They also enjoy chicken.  They were on Blue Seal and I switched them to Purina one.  No more grocery store stuff for me anymore though.  I'm going to switch my dogs and cats all to Canine Plus, and Feline Plus.  I recently started working for the company that owns the mill for that particular brand and have discussed the nutritional value of the food with the nutritionist we have on staff.  The first ingredient on the bag for both species is Fresh Chicken Meat.  Try to read your labels.  If the first ingredient sounds crappy, skip it.

In any case, both of my cats freak out over Temptations treats and I couldn't stop feeding it to them if I wanted to.  They just sit in front of the pantry and howl for it.  I think I got them addicted!!  Ha Ha.  Kitty Crack.  My girl's are named Grace and Addie.  Both were strays so their age is undetermined.  I'd say Grace is 2-3 years old and Addie is much older.  She's missing a front canine tooth.  If anyone knows how to tell a cats age, please help me out.  I'd love to know how old she is.  I know you can tell by the teeth but I'm not sure how. 

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 07:44:39 am »
My cats split a small can in the morning and one at supper.  It is usually Friskies or PC or Our compliments.  They LLOOVVEE  the Prime Grill with Beef.  They also enjoy chicken.  They were on Blue Seal and I switched them to Purina one.  No more grocery store stuff for me anymore though.  I'm going to switch my dogs and cats all to Canine Plus, and Feline Plus.  I recently started working for the company that owns the mill for that particular brand and have discussed the nutritional value of the food with the nutritionist we have on staff.  The first ingredient on the bag for both species is Fresh Chicken Meat.  Try to read your labels.  If the first ingredient sounds crappy, skip it.

In any case, both of my cats freak out over Temptations treats and I couldn't stop feeding it to them if I wanted to.  They just sit in front of the pantry and howl for it.  I think I got them addicted!!  Ha Ha.  Kitty Crack.  My girl's are named Grace and Addie.  Both were strays so their age is undetermined.  I'd say Grace is 2-3 years old and Addie is much older.  She's missing a front canine tooth.  If anyone knows how to tell a cats age, please help me out.  I'd love to know how old she is.  I know you can tell by the teeth but I'm not sure how. 
Pretty cats!...Are they Maine Coons?...My Miss Fritzi is a Maine Coon mix of some sort....She is shaved in this picture because of tummy problems due to her hair.

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2005, 09:11:27 pm »
Yes Gypsy, I do believe they are Maine Coon mixes.  They look just like a Maine Coon only smaller I think.  When I first took Addie in (She was living under my deck in my old condo.)  She was in horrible shape.  It was -30 degree celcius weather and her fur was totally matted and her neck was bald from the mattes getting stuck on things and being ripped out!!!  I fed her outside for five months before she would let me touch her.  I took her into the vet on the first day and they told me she was a girl so I changed her name to Addie from Eddy.  I had called her Eddy all of that time.  I got her shaved the next day at the groomers.  I had to have her drugged in order to get it done.  I've had her now for 2 years and she's the sweetest thing.  I call her my little gift from god.  She kisses me every night and every morning.  WHat a little doll.