Author Topic: Puppy eating grass and dirt?  (Read 6879 times)

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Puppy eating grass and dirt?
« on: September 09, 2005, 07:57:18 pm »
Hi

I have a question, my 4 month old Aussie mix, loves to eat grass and I mean he gets into it, down to the dirt then he trys to eat the dirt. He even does it when he's playing, I throw the ball, he runs to the ball then lays down and starts gnawing at the grass.
He's on a good diet, "Nutro Puppy" so I don't think he's needing something from the grass? He's been doing this for quite some time now.. Any thoughts on this he is very much into eating the grass..?

Thanks so much for any help

Aimee

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Puppy eating grass and dirt?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 08:53:29 pm »
Thanks for the help, he is also eating clumps of grass like you guys said.  It's been 13 years since I had a pup, the last one used to like stones, but didn't go nuts for grass so I wasn't used to that. It is so good to know it is normal. Hope he outgrows it soon though.. ;-)

Thanks SOOO MUCH!!

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 05:15:43 am »
When I let my horses eat grass in the yard, the dogs graze with them I keep telling them "dogs don't eat grass" but they don't listen. I catch them nibbling occasionally.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 06:52:31 pm »
All of my dogs eat grass and so does my cat. Nigel also eats dirt, sticks, and chews on rocks (he is a 6 month old pup, and I think he might have a screw loose).  It's an every day thing in my yard, it doesn't seem to be a problem and I don't use any weird fertilizer or pesticide on the lawn, so I figure it's all natural and high in fiber, right?  ;D

Offline CindiJ

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 07:17:30 pm »
My dogs both find the appropriate time of eating grass, with a "dirt chaser" is either:  A; when company is over and I can't readily run outside and get on to them,  - or-   B: When I am preparing to go somewhere nice, am in one of my nicest outfits, and they feel the necessity to give me excess love at that point and time!..
I can feel your pain, and wish I had something to offer.... but with past experiences with other dogs... unfortunately. .. it does just take some time for them to grow out of it... and A TON of patience and the ability to laugh for you to make it thru.... 

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 07:36:14 pm »
Again, thanks so much for all your comments, it really helped me a lot.
As I said before, I've have several dogs in my life, but really none of them ate grass and dirt like this guy. I did have one dog, and when her tummy was upset, she would eat grass, but ONLY when her tummy was upset.

Thanks so much, hope he outgrows this soon..

Aimee

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 10:23:16 am »
Kiah does the same thing. She eats grass and the dirt. Her favorite to chew on is the mowed clumped grass. I don't know why she does it either. I hope she out grows it too.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 03:47:38 am »
Rocco eats grass all the time.  He likes it, it never makes him sick.  Maia likes to eat dirt but only occasionally.  I like to think my dogs are relatively normal.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline kilbaraberry

• Ankle Biter
  • katie and 1/2 of pups
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 03:04:47 am »
bear likes to eat grass,sticks,rocks,animal poop,fuzz and anything not usualy eddibal

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 03:16:31 am »
Um... I hate to tell you this but they don't always grow out of it. In fact, as he gets older, Oasis is more and more interested in grass. He's 12 now and I have to really tug at his leash to get him to stop eating it and come inside. His particular favorite is crab grass. I think he's a junkie.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain