Author Topic: Question about Rescues  (Read 4766 times)

smohr

Question about Rescues
« on: September 09, 2005, 07:57:50 pm »
 ???  I need to ask a serious question about rescues and maybe a gripe too.  After losing my Lady (a dane) in August, I got advice from many of you all to start looking for another puppy.  On my own, I searched breeders, petfinders.com, rescues, and shelters and inquired about puppies and even some young (but not puppies) dogs and had put applications thru internet with a few rescues. 

My references are excellent (vets, neighbors, friends and family, etc) but it seems I've made a mistake in etiquete I was unaware of.  One rescue talked to another rescue (I'd let them know of each other and that I was going to adopt) and somehow they are upset.  I didn't hide it from them that I was continuing my search for a Neo puppy preferably.

All I wanted to do was offer a good home to ( 1 ) dog or puppy, and hopefully from a rescue or shelter, but one I chose.  I got an angry e-mail from one of the rescues.  I didn't want to upset any one just take one puppy into my home. 

I will probably never deal w/another rescue again after this.  The one where I'm getting my puppy hasn't done anything YET, but in dealing with rescues, I've been treated as if I have some ulterior motive for wanting one of THEIR pets.  With so many unwanted dogs out there, why do they treat people like possible serial killers (sorry for the exaggeration) wanting to give homes to animals no one wants. 

I just don't get it...I was going to do some rescue work, but this has soured me.  When I found my last dane, I'd been trying to go thru rescues, but that experience drove me away from rescues 4 years ago.  I found Lady myself. 

I will either get a puppy (or dog) at the local shelter or go to a breeder and leave all those homeless pets...homeles s while the rescues "search" for homes.  Sorry; I'm burned...

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Question about Rescues
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 08:09:46 pm »
I was trying to work with a Great Pyr rescue when I got wind of Arwen...I had called several times & had a hard time getting any return calls...Last I heard they were getting in "a pack" of varying ages & the rescue lady wanted to make sure there were no Great Pyr rescues in Iowa (there aren't that I was able to find) before she worked with me further so she wasn't "stepping on any toes"...I called again later, got the answering machine, & never did hear back from them...This is like 4 or 5 calls I  made...Then I got wind of Arwen & just quit calling them...I didn't get it...We have the means & the space for our dogs...We fenced in 3/4 an acre for Samson already...I am a stay at home mom & my animals & children are my life...My whole life...I thought we would have made a good home for a dog that needed one...Anyway, I  hear stories like ours but I also hear stories about wonderful rescues who really work with you...I am sure these people are very busy taking care of not only their own lives but the rescues too...Is there another rescue you could try?...I'm sorry you had that experience...D id they say exactly what issue they had with you?...Just wondering. :)

smohr

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 08:22:40 pm »
I'm sorry you had that experience...D id they say exactly what issue they had with you?...Just wondering. :)

I guess they thought I was somehow trying to pull a fast one on them.  I truly only meant only good for a homeless pet. 

I had told each of the other one, but I must not have been clear enough.  I will take the blame, but it should not be this hard to adopt a rescue pet if that is what they truly want to do for the pet. 

Maybe there are just some unwritten rules I broke trying with different ones and making a choice on my own.  With the one rescue right after my mother had a stroke I asked them to hold on to my application for the future, found another puppy at another rescue by chance while searching for puppies (the other rescue didn't have any at the time) and told the one rescue I'd had an application w/the one.  One contacted the other and then I was somehow villified as if I was up to something.

I was just being honest!  I didn't hide anything. 

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 08:23:10 pm »
I had a similar experience also. Before we got Gretchen I also searched the web abd contacted a local rescue for a rottie. Last weekend I called the local shelter because they had an older rottie female and I thought I would foster her. I was told that thye do not foster. This is a kill shelter >:(. they told me that I was welcome to come and play with her but they didn't allow fostering. All my pets are current on shots etc. My husband was leary about rescue in the first place and by getting the cold shoulder and attitude that because it was a rescued pet we were not up to par we decided against it.
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 08:28:12 pm »
When we began the whole rescue process for Hutch it had to be one of the toughest things that we have ever done. We too had all of the references, fenced back yard, the whole nine yards. Initially we were denied and we were heart broken. It wasn't until 11:30 at night that we got a phone call saying that they had made the decision to let him come home to us. And then it was only because the foster parents of Hutch urged then to reconsider, thank God! I know that they are so tough because they don't want to see these dogs having to go through this again. I know that they have to be tough to weed out all of the people who aren't suitable. We had no previous experience with a giant breed, and that was one of the major factors they held against us. I am so sorry that you have had such a tough experience with rescues. I think that alot of times they are jaded from all of the things they have seen the poor dogs go through (but this doesn't make it any easier on us). I hope that you find the perfect addition to your family. And maybe write the rescue a letter who gave you the nasty call explaining how rude they were for giving someone a hard time who truely wants to give a wonderful loving home to a new dog. It wasn't right that they gave you a hard time for wanting to find the perfect addition to your family, it just shows that you are exploring all options and investigating all avenues like any responsible pet owner should!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

smohr

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 08:32:14 pm »
Don't let these experiences taint your opinion of rescues.  Most do terrific work, and they do deal with questionable people all the time.  This makes them suspect of everyone.  They also deal with people who sound like they'd make great forever homes for the dogs in their care, only to find the dog back in rescue after a few months. 

Thanks; I know you are right.  There are people w/ulterior motives and would hurt pets. 
Guess I'm a bit on the "frayed" side in losing my pet, mom being ill, being treated like I'm out to kill all the rescue dogs in the world or worse yet, take one from one rescue and not another and being "yelled at" and "confronted" by e-mail all within a month.  <<< sigh >>> :'( 

smohr

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 08:40:39 pm »
 :-\  Thanks everyone.  Getting your opinions and feedback since I found this site has really helped me get thru some tough times, make informed decisions, taught me so much more about ALL the large breeds and been a place of comfort and acceptance.  THANKS SO MUCH!!
 ::) I was gonna go to bed and cry...I'm just too sensitive!    :-[

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 09:11:56 pm »
:-\  Thanks everyone.  Getting your opinions and feedback since I found this site has really helped me get thru some tough times, make informed decisions, taught me so much more about ALL the large breeds and been a place of comfort and acceptance.  THANKS SO MUCH!!
 ::) I was gonna go to bed and cry...I'm just too sensitive!    :-[

Definitely don't go to bed and cry about it. 
Feste is my 2nd rescued Dane.  The first was set up by a friend who was a vet tech who knew of a Dane (My boy, Alexander the Great (Dane)) in need of a home at another vet.  Even though I had no giant breed experience, I did have large breed experience and he felt like it would be a good match.  Well it was just about the most wonderful experience I have ever had.  When Alex died suddenly of heart failure after I had spent a year nursing him back from abuse and stage IV heartworms, it nearly killed me.
After a little time had passed a friend started pushing me to look into either adopting another or fostering one.  I finally realized that I had something to offer a Dane in need and that it would be a good memorial to Alex, so I started looking into it.  I got very frustrated going through the process and dealing with the suspicious and sometimes hostile attitiudes. 
I finally ended up talking to a (reputable) breeder in New Orleans (where Alex came from), who really helped me to cope with it.  It basically comes down to what the others in this post have said - they deal with at times horrible cases of abuse and /or neglect and work hard to ensure the dogs  get adopted into good homes only to see them come back sometimes.  It does, unfortunately, get to people at times. 
My best advice to you is what that breeder told to me.  Be patient, be persistent and be honest.  People will see that and will work with you. 
Best of luck to you... there's a rescue dog out there that needs you and you will find him or her.

Tom
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 09:45:39 pm »
I had a very similar experience..  When my daughter and I decided to add a Dane into our family we wanted a rescue dog.  I filled out every adoption form and contacted rescue groups everywhere.  I also had a nice sized fenced yard, no small children etc etc.  But I found some to be a little rude, others to never return a phone call or an email.  I found a deaf baby that was just a doll.  Never heard back after the intial contact...so I ended up after quite a few months buying Willow from a breeder...My next big dog I would love to do a rescue if I can get it arranged.  I do understand and I was not angry or hurt..I know what they have to deal with and I know they have to be cautious.  But I have a great home, big heart, and lots of love  - and I had really wanted to share it with a pup looking for a forever home.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 10:07:23 pm »
When I started in Rescue I was starry eyed.  I had visions of wonderful dogs meeting wonderful people and having wonderful lives.  Well my vision was skewed because while dogs are wonderful, people suck.  When you work in rescue you learn not to trust people.  It sounds horrible and counter productive but it's true.  Especially in Giant breeds which are so hard to find good homes for.

I'm on several Dane Rescue lists/Newsletters/Forums.  Something that comes around often is a post that is prefixed by DNA.  Do Not Adopt.  It's followed by a story of collectors, or people that adopt and do horrible things with the dogs.  They give the people's names, all known aliases, phone numbers, addresses (Physical and e-mail), accomplices, the kinds of dogs they're after, everything.  Often these people either act like a rescue looking to unload some dogs off of the over crowded more established rescues, or most often someone just looking for a specific dog and wanting to rescue as opposed to buying from a breeder.  They talk the talk, and later we find out they don't walk the walk.

Danes are great bait dogs.  They're big (Teaches the fighter to be brave), most of the time they're easily pushed around (Making the fighter feel superior, know he's a winner), their skin is easily torn (All the better to teach the fighter to rip into a dog), and very loose (Gives teh fighter something to grab onto), they have big litters, (Replenshing traning tools)  and they're sorely over populated (Easy to get).  All Giant dogs are great for medical testing, and worth more because of their weight.  These stories sound horrible but we've heard them over and over again.  This is why rescuers sound so wary when people try to adopt.  The ones who've been at it awhile have suffered multiple heart breaks by stories like these and they're always in the back of their minds.

Smohr,

One of the tip offs that a person is a DNA is when they go around to a bunch of different rescues.  I know that you meant it innocently, and honestly you did nothing wrong.  You contacted different rescues because you wanted to make sure you found your dream dog!  But these DNAs often go to different rescues 1) to get more dogs, and 2) more chances at getting dogs, even if they get rejected at other rescues.  Sometimes people aren't given a DNA, just info goes around "Hey this person contacted me and 4 other rescues.  Anyone else?"  Someone contacting rescues out of their state, especially when there is a breed rescue in their state also raises flags.  "Hey why won't the rescue there adopt to them?"  Going out of state usually means there won't be a home visit.  Another reason unscrupulous characters do it.

Don't get me wrong.  As stupid and ironic as it is, dog rescue can be political, bloodthirsty and at times dangerous.  People either put themselves first or the dogs first, and unfortunately there's alot of the former.  But there ARE good rescues out there, don't turn your back on them!  I didn't mean to go into a tirade, just wanted you to understand why something so innocent could make the rescues so upset.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 10:22:18 pm »
I too got somewhat frustrated with rescue.  I only attempted to go thru one rescue, b/c it is the only one in the area that has puppies (all other rescues send puppies there), and we needed to get a puppy.  At first we were "conditionally approved" provided we raise one side of our fence to 5 ft. (it is 4 ft)  I explained it was not our fence, therefore couldn't raise it, and if we could work something out.  I was also fine with leashing the dog to go outside, as we go to the dog park every day, so it would be able to run around freely, too, if that would work with them.

I never heard back.  I waited two months and emailed again explaining the situation in a little more detail (we also live on a military base, so adding and extention would not work either).  Still didn't hear back.  Waited another month and phoned them to set up an appointment.  Left a message with a secretary (or something).  I waited another month and started looking into breeders.  I never heard from the rescue again.

I do plan on trying to recue in the future, when the time is right.

Smohr, I don't know why they were so upset that you went to a different rescue.  I would think they would be happy you are looking into different rescues until you find one that works for you.  It sounds responsible to me.  That sounds very strange to me that it would upset them.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 11:12:57 pm »
When I started in Rescue I was starry eyed.  I had visions of wonderful dogs meeting wonderful people and having wonderful lives.  Well my vision was skewed because while dogs are wonderful, people suck.  When you work in rescue you learn not to trust people.  It sounds horrible and counter productive but it's true.  Especially in Giant breeds which are so hard to find good homes for.

I'm on several Dane Rescue lists/Newsletters/Forums.  Something that comes around often is a post that is prefixed by DNA.  Do Not Adopt.  It's followed by a story of collectors, or people that adopt and do horrible things with the dogs.  They give the people's names, all known aliases, phone numbers, addresses (Physical and e-mail), accomplices, the kinds of dogs they're after, everything.  Often these people either act like a rescue looking to unload some dogs off of the over crowded more established rescues, or most often someone just looking for a specific dog and wanting to rescue as opposed to buying from a breeder.  They talk the talk, and later we find out they don't walk the walk.

Danes are great bait dogs.  They're big (Teaches the fighter to be brave), most of the time they're easily pushed around (Making the fighter feel superior, know he's a winner), their skin is easily torn (All the better to teach the fighter to rip into a dog), and very loose (Gives teh fighter something to grab onto), they have big litters, (Replenshing traning tools)  and they're sorely over populated (Easy to get).  All Giant dogs are great for medical testing, and worth more because of their weight.  These stories sound horrible but we've heard them over and over again.  This is why rescuers sound so wary when people try to adopt.  The ones who've been at it awhile have suffered multiple heart breaks by stories like these and they're always in the back of their minds.

Smohr,

One of the tip offs that a person is a DNA is when they go around to a bunch of different rescues.  I know that you meant it innocently, and honestly you did nothing wrong.  You contacted different rescues because you wanted to make sure you found your dream dog!  But these DNAs often go to different rescues 1) to get more dogs, and 2) more chances at getting dogs, even if they get rejected at other rescues.  Sometimes people aren't given a DNA, just info goes around "Hey this person contacted me and 4 other rescues.  Anyone else?"  Someone contacting rescues out of their state, especially when there is a breed rescue in their state also raises flags.  "Hey why won't the rescue there adopt to them?"  Going out of state usually means there won't be a home visit.  Another reason unscrupulous characters do it.

Don't get me wrong.  As stupid and ironic as it is, dog rescue can be political, bloodthirsty and at times dangerous.  People either put themselves first or the dogs first, and unfortunately there's alot of the former.  But there ARE good rescues out there, don't turn your back on them!  I didn't mean to go into a tirade, just wanted you to understand why something so innocent could make the rescues so upset.

Ang
Once again all the idiots ruin it for the rest of us...We shouldn't get mad at the rescues...We should be angry at the jerks that make it hard for us to work with rescues!

smohr

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 11:43:33 pm »

<<SMOHR>>>:(  I had NO idea people were so sadistic!!  My gosh; that makes me ill.

Smohr,

<<SMOHR>> :-\  We don't have a mastiff rescue in our area; closest is PA, VA, OH all around me but not my state.  I've had danes and a Mastiff and wanted a mastiff again.  I love the Dane's gentle nature and the mastiff's personality too. 

<<SMOHR>>  :)  I did have a home visit by a foster "mommy" for the Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue.  She did it for the rescue and reported to them.  She has also taken care of my "babies" for me while I went on a trip for a week.

<<SMOHR>>  :P   My vet knows me by name and didn't have to look me up to give a reference.  She knows how well I care for my pets.  I'll take my pets to the vet before I'll go to a doctor myself.  ::)

I didn't mean to go into a tirade, just wanted you to understand why something so innocent could make the rescues so upset. 

<<SMOHR>>  :)  Tirade is ok; I need to hear these things.  I hate it that people's motives aren't right on either side of the fence.  I hate that animals are abused, neglected and my God! used as BAIT.  I must really be naive and in my own little world where the people around me don't harm their pets and say what they mean and mean what they say.

Ang

SMOHR
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 11:49:16 pm by smohr »

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 09:16:42 am »
Wow!  I've just read this thread and am sickened by what people will do to hurt animals.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised...if they can do that to their children, why would it keep them from doing it to the poor animals.....?

I will say that my experience with rescue has been good.  I worked only with SPIN last year when I adopted Casper.  Filled out the app - gave references ... had the home visit to inspect fences, etc...and was a nervous wreck 'cause I'm not the neatest person in the world.  :D  I was told not to worry - that if I could pass a "white glove" test, I wouldn't be approved...whi ch made me laugh & relax.  I was approved & Casper & I have a love at first sight relationship.

This year, when I was looking for a companion for Casper, I again turned to SPIN.  When I realized that my boy liked girls (go figure), I did look at one Pyr-mix on the Anatolian rescue site.....I emailed both Cindy Tuttle of SPIN & Carleen Conyers for the Anatolian group & let them know that I just wanted to find the right dog for Casper & me.....they were both wonderful & very understanding about my (and Casper's) needs.  Turns out - Casper liked the SPIN girls, Bella & Lucy....it's a story with a happy ending that I love to share.

After reading about people that contact multiple rescues with bad intentions, I'm very glad that the SPIN group already knew me from the experience with Casper!

GR8DAME

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 08:30:55 am »
I too have been frustrated by rescues,especially the breed specific ones that shall remain nameless in my area. I can understand their protectiveness of their wards, but I resent being treated like a criminal for trying to do something good. I did find a rescue in Texas that were wonderful and worked with me via the internet to find a puppy, and Strider was the result. Rescues in general have my greatest respect, but I wish that they were less frustrating for Joe Blows like me.
Stella