Author Topic: Training Tips Needed for Keeping Big Paws to Self!!!  (Read 4439 times)

Offline Tippy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Training Tips Needed for Keeping Big Paws to Self!!!
« on: September 10, 2005, 05:49:45 am »
I love my Katie's big, clumsy paws.  But, at 4 months, when she decides it's time to paw you - which she does often as a subsitute for licking or biting - it can get painful.

She was sitting nicely, but barely containing her happiness at the prospect of a walk.  I was bending over her from behind her - trying to hook the leash to her collar when she decided to 'paw' at me with excited anticipation.  Her sweet, no longer little, paw grazed my face, and her too-long toenail caught my nose, just inside the nostril, and ripped it - just a tiny bit - but enough to make me squeal. 

Now - I look like Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer.  Yikes! 

I don't have the foggiest idea how to start training Katie to keep her paws to herself.  She is quite energetic - much moreso than our other Saints have been - and she's very affectionate.  At more than 40 lbs - she still thinks she is a baby and I'll sit cross-legged on the floor when she's been very good so she can still try to sit on my lap.  It's her favorite thing to do.  But 'cuddle time' is getting harder - as she tries to contain and curl all her growing body on my lap.  I swear she thinks she is a toy poodle. :)

She is sooooooo loving - but the pawing must end.  I look a fright.

I was told to step on her paws when she does it.  I tried that - but with little luck because she is almost-constantly moving when I'm near and I just wasn't quick enough to trap a paw under my foot.  So my efforts had all the effect of making her think it was a new jumping game of some sort.  It excited her all the more.

I guess I was just lucky with our other Saints - they almost trained themselves.  <sigh>  But not dear, sweet Katie.  She has such a zest for life - and then some.

I would love to hear how any other members have dealt with this issue. 

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Training Tips Needed for Keeping Big Paws to Self!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 06:25:51 am »
Funny you should ask..I was just talking to my breeder about this problem with Pippin...She said to flat out ignore the dog when they do this & only give attention when they stop trying to paw at you...Sammy never did this so I guess we thought it was cute when Pippin did...My breeder said something that got my attention...Sh e said, "Imagine what will happen when he is full grown if he is at face level with a child"...YIKES!!!...Not so cute anymore!...He has already given me a bloody nose pawing at me & other assorted scrapes & scratches...Go od luck!

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 07:58:06 am »
Yes, ignoring it is defintely the best way to get rid of it.  :)  I would say "Aht!" to interupt whoever was doing it, then markedly turn my back and attention away from the dog.  This make take a couple minutes, because at first most dogs usually try and go around to see your face.  Keep pointedly turning, with your head high away from the dog until it realises its not getting your attention.  As soon as the dog turns to leave, call its name excitedly and ask for a sit or a down.  Then tell them how good they are for responding.  ;D

Working with deaf dogs, you learn how much dogs in general rely JUST on body language.  Its a great thing to use to your advantage.  ;)

Oh, and I will not admit that I have a little Mz Kida B that claws my arms and legs for attention while I'm at the computer.  Nope, you'll never get me to admit that.   :-[  Being tiny, deaf and mostly blind, she does seem to get away with more than the bigger dogs.   :-X  Bad Moni...
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 08:02:44 am »

This will be a pretty simple behavior mod for you.

Step one: think of a verbal reminder to use to indicate to her that she needs to have all her feet on the floor. I say "four on the floor". I use this to discourage jumping as well.

Teach the pup to sit on command. Simple to do using a treat. If you have not trained her to do this already, here is how:

1) SMILE
2) Put the treat (holding in your fingers so that puppy can smell it but not get it) right on her nose. Once she is interested, raise it slightly and move it slowly back towards her tail. SLOOOOOWLY so the nose can follow it.

As the nose goes up, the butt will go down, and she will sit. AS her hiney hits the floor, at the same time say YES! SIT! and let her take the treat from between your fingers.

Practice until the pup sits briskly on your verbal command.

Once you have the SIT command, or if you already do, set her up in a situation where she might paw you. The SECOND the paw comes up, you must CHANGE!!

FROWN!! FOLD YOUR ARMS!! and say AH AH!! in a deep growly tone. Then immediately SMILE, UNFOLD your arms, produce a piece of bait, and ask for SIT. As she sits, say YES!! 4 on the floor!! and food reward.

Do you see how you make a big difference for the puppy in your facial expression and tone of voice so she can clearly understand what you want?

Meantime, avoid situations where she might paw you when you can't correct and redirect her.

Be consistent. Be kind. Practice often.

Ever thought about a hockey face guard?

;)
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 10:42:17 am »
I don't have much experience either and I was using the same technique on Chester but the woman who takes care of both Cowboy and Chester for us when we travel said that doing that could be hard on puppy joints...elbow s primarily.  I still think it's good method but what do our resident experts think???

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 10:47:14 am »
I use this method of paw holding frequently myself.

But after a lot of years of experience, I have found most of the time it's better to try to teach people in ways that do not involve a lot of physical handling of the dog. It minimizes the bite risk when people are trying to train dogs that they may not realize or disclose all of the important information.

Some dogs CAN retaliate when measure like this are used, and most owners would not be prepared for it.

Otherwise, I think it's a fine method.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline Tippy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 11:25:04 am »
Oh THANK YOU!!!

Wonderful answers, and I feel encouraged now just by reading them.  All of them are much easier (and kinder) than trying to step on her paws. 

You guys are absolute lifesavers!

Katie and I are going to have a training session right after this and I'll let everyone know if we make some progress.

She doesn't like to be ignored - or talked to in a growly voice so I can see some sense in these techniques.

And the body language thing is just fascinating.  I never dreamt someone could teach deaf dogs that way. 

It would be super if you share more body language techniques if you ever get a chance.

Thanks a million guys.   :)

Offline vizslamaniac

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 12:04:22 pm »
Wow, I also really need these training tips! Both Austin and Zoey paw me and I am finally going to get a handle on this behavior. I admit that I need to keep up with consistent training.  I used to train them daily - you can see my avatar that I got both dogs to do a down-stay long enough to get the camera!! ;D The pawing thing I have yet to be successful at.

Great thread.
Adele

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 01:01:58 pm »
Sanity has always had a punching issue.  Bloody nose on his first night home.  SOMEONE, not me, taught him to box when he was little, and it's his favorite way to play.  The other day he gave me a fat lip.  The thing is though when I tell him to stop he does, so I can't complain too much.  I made him stop by screaming bloody murder like he was killing me and you could just see him go "OMG I hurt mommy!"  Not really a textbook method, but it works.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 08:52:09 am »
It's nice to hear that Maxwell's issues are shared.  I'm not glad that anyone else has to deal with it but I'm glad in a way that I'm not the only one.  Maxwell was sitting on the couch with my cousin and he gave paw and gave her a bad bleeding nose.  It wasn't good.  I knew from a friend never to teach a Saint the give paw command but they seam to do it by instinct.  He still does it now and I think I'll try the holding the paw thing next time he tries it.  Also, my cocker is newly deaf.  Any quick tips on making his life easier would be great.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 09:02:28 am »
I think the only time this is a problem in our house is when Bear and I are playing and gets carried away...or maybe I am just clumsy. I don't ever seem to be able to move faster than his paw can go and often end up with huge scratches on my arms, neck, chest, or face from being "pawed". Although it hurts and I look like I live with an abuser, it is only when he is sooooo excited. So, I think it is ok.

I am sure that your little girl will excell quickly and you will have the behavior in check before you know it! And by the way, Bear loves to plop his 154 lb. rear end in my lap when I am on the floor too. It makes me laugh....a lap dog he is indeed!  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.