Author Topic: An e-mail I got  (Read 2094 times)

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
An e-mail I got
« on: September 10, 2005, 05:49:12 pm »
***PICTURES BELOW***

Hello,

As many of you know I recently had an emergency when I was already full and I had to take in 4 dogs on a neglect case. Luckily, with your help we avoided having to euthanize anybody. With donations we were able to construct two more runs at 2 in the morning one late night. Also, 8 dogs were transported another night at midnight.

Now, I currently have 8 dogs plus a litter of newborn puppies. I have one dog, a beautiful yellow lab or labX, that can go immediately into rescue. I also have three adorable mix puppies that will be able to go directly into rescue once their health hold is complete in about a week. 

However, I'm in a situation I've never been in before. The neglect dogs, including the litter, cannot be permanently placed until the judge grants me custody of the dogs. In the meantime, they are being "stored" at animal control and that is no life. One is a very healthy puppy that is at an important time in her life were socialization needs to be taking place. I cannot offer her that here. Another is the mama and her newborns. She needs to be someplace else were she can raise her babies up healthy and happy and get more attention than I can give. The other is a very sweet, very affectionate little pit female about 4-5 years old. She is very cuddly, but is dog aggressive. The fourth is just a real neat guy. He is a rott mix and is very probably the puppies dad.

I am looking for people that may be willing to foster these dogs until they are able to be adopted. It is not right for these dogs to just sit and wait in runs with no real interaction but the very little I can provide. That's not even considering the fact that I am unable to hold strays as long due to the fact that my neglect cases are taking up half of my runs, plus the one I have to leave empty next to the female pitty. That leaves me with only 3 open runs and I currently have four dogs in those (3 are puppies).

Everybody has been dewormed and vaccinated (DA2PP). So far, everyone seems healthy. I still have my fingers crossed on the 3 pups. 2 of the puppies (the females) may have a home near Chicago when their health hold is complete and I would like to know if anyone was willing to volunteer to do a home check for me. Or, if your rescue would like to take the pups and handle the adoption, that's fine too. The pups must be altered before going home. My vet does pediatric spays so that's why I usually use them. They seem like very nice people with a nice home and fenced yard. If you are interested in helping with this, please contact me ASAP.

This is Brian. He is ready to go to rescue now. What can I say about Brian besides that he is absolutely wonderful. This boy is probably under 2 years old. He is quiet, mellow and extremely affectionate. Brian is very gentle and would make an excellent family dog. He seems to love all other friendly dogs and wants to be a big brother to puppies. He never jumps up on you and will sneak gentle kisses in when he can. He also likes to softly offer you his paw. He has it all, looks and personality!!

This is Lois, Chrissy and Stewie. Two females on left, one male on right. Perhaps you remember Ida May (aka Lisa) who was recently rescued? She had been seen carting around three pups but when I went to pick her up the pups were no where to be found. These 3 were found by a couple out in the country when they came tumbling out of one of their outbuildings. At the time they were probably only 4-5 weeks old. Mama was no where to be seen. The nice couple kept the pups for about 3-4 weeks with hopes of finding them homes, but they are expecting their first child and when no one seemed interested in taking the pups in, they called me. About the same time they found these pups, I had gotten a call from a place down the road about a mama dog who had been pregnant and then had been carting around three very small pups. When I arrived, the pups were no where to be found and no one had seen them in a few days. So, I picked up mom who was very skinny and named her Ida May. I kept hoping to hear about her pups but nothing ever came of it until this past weekend. It appears that the pups had been taken to the building by their mom. Either the pups were taken in before mom was picked up and that's why they hadn't been seen or they went wandering when mom never returned. Either way, we are thankful that they are safe and are hoping to find wonderful homes for all three!

This poor girl is Pixie and she is part of a neglect case in a local small town. When she was picked up she had broken her tie-out cable and was running loose. The cable that was tied around her neck had been cutting into her flesh and was on it's way to becoming a bad wound (see the second and third pictures taken at vet hospital). She was VERY skinny and was anemic from her severe flea and hookworm infestation. She had no food, water or shelter. Now, after being treated for fleas and hookworms and being given her fill of food and water, she has a healthy puppy belly and is starting to have more energy. Her neck has also healed nicely. It's so nice to see her as more than a furry skeleton! She is such a sweet girl and would love to have a family that can love her forever and give her the life she deserves!

Rocco is part of the neglect case from a small town locally. He was tied to a tree with no food or water or shelter. The neighbors had said that he was half the size he had been a month or two before. He was extremely underweight when we brought him in. He also was infested with fleas and hookworms. We treated him for that and he has finally filled back out. It's amazing what a little food can do! He has a wonderfully happy personality and would be a great addition to any family that has the time and patience to teach him anything he may need to learn. I can't stress enough what a great guy he is. He deserves a chance.

Zoie was found in a house upon investigation of the neglect case in a small, local town. She is probably about 4-5 years old. She was probably the most flea infested dog I have ever seen. She was severely dehydrated. Even though she had a water bowl near a kitchen sink, nobody bothered to fill it. She was a skeleton with skin stretched over it. She also was suffering from severe hairloss due to her flea allergies. The third picture shows how severe her hairloss was even after a couple of weeks. In that picture she has already gained a lot of weight back. After under $10 in flea and worm treatment (she also had hookworms) and simply receiving food and water on a daily basis, her body weight has returned to normal and her hair has started to grow back very quickly. I have been pleasantly surprised.  Zoie is an extremely affectionate and attentive dog with humans but she also seems very dog aggressive. The house where she was found also had a very small toddler in it and they interacted fine. (FYI-The toddler had to be removed from the house as well) She just prefers people to other dogs. She wants so badly to be by your side she just stands and whines softly if she can see you but cannot touch you. She is a very small pitty and weighed only 24 pounds when we picked her up.

Mona is part of a neglect case from a local small town. She was found on a VERY short chain in a worn spot with no grass. She had no food, water or shelter and was VERY skinny even though she was quite pregnant. There was no where for her to walk where she wouldn't be stepping in her own waste. Thankfully, we were able to take her before she had to have her puppies in those conditions. She is a very sweet girl and very affectionate. She looks like a mini black lab. She has turned out to be a very good mom to her 6 puppies even though she is very young herself, under two years old. Unfortunately, I don't think this is her first litter. She is a very nice girl and deserves to be treated so much better than she has been.

If you or your group can help with any of the dogs listed, please contact me via email ASAP.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

-Liz Vincent
Warren County Animal Control
WarrenCntyAC@aol.com
www.warrencoun tyanimalcontro l.petfinder.co m
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: An e-mail I got
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 05:53:22 pm »
oy why won't it let me post pictures?

They are probably too big. Try resizing.
RIP former BPO

Offline Morgy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: An e-mail I got
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 08:43:33 pm »
I can't see a date on this so I apologise if this is old.  I have been looking at some of your postings on the pit bull discussion area because I have two rescues that are boxer/ pit mixes one probably has a little collie in there too. I love Dobies though and that one picture of your dobie in the woods reminded me so much of mine that passed away in September 2004.
Like I said, I have two rescues that I need a home for immediately because I am moving to Wisconsin and they are not welcome there among other problems. I could however adopt another breed if someone could take these. Long story, but if you think you could help or know any one that might be interested please call me. These are Katrina rescues that I had no intention of keeping but they have been through so much and I have made so much progress with them they must go to a loving home. Please call me. Any dogs that I adopt would think they had died and gone to heaven. My cell # is 972-322-9628. This is urgent because I close on Friday and move on Monday. Thanks. Phillippa