Poll

do you think it is save to ship a dog by flying them?

yes
1 (25%)
no
3 (75%)
don't know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: September 12, 2005, 07:55:48 pm

Author Topic: to fly or not to fly that is the question  (Read 15916 times)

Offline Hedda Garland

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: to fly or not to fly that is the question
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 05:05:34 pm »
thanks,
I guess the one deserves useless like the other one worthless. Is there one that you tend to use in particular that you would recommend?

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005, 05:09:58 pm »

I have to admit, I've not flown a dog since before 9/11, so I would have no way to recommend. I know several airlines have eliminated cargo shipping of dogs altogether.

I wish I had more help for you....
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline Boxerbuddies

• Ankle Biter
  • Jazz at 3 weeks
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ttchest.com
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 05:18:21 pm »
Will the breeder has shiped over 50 pups and they will not use anyone but cotinital airline. Sorry for the spelling I cannot spell to save my life. And I guess this was a good question to ask.

Offline gerry

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 05:35:11 pm »
My two older mastiffs were both shipped in from South Africa and they arrived safe and healthy.  I personally would not do it again because of the 2 day flight they were on.  KLM was the carrier.  First day they went to Amsterdam.  They are taken off the plane and they following day from Amsterdam to the US. 

They were both happy little puppies coming out of that crate.  Can't balme them. 

nickerbokker

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2005, 05:44:50 pm »
my airline story......

i bought angus on december 11th, 2004.  he was 5 weeks.  cody was 3 years.  my family hadn't seeen cody in over a year and a half, since i moved here....and my mom didn't even know i bought angus (cuz i didn't want to hear her yell lmao).

4 weeks before christmas, i decided i was taking off two weeks of work (only having to take off a total of 4 days), and go home and see my momma and family.  i book a flight for myself and cody on american.  then, i go and buy a puppy one night cuz i wanted one, yes, bad and good choice.  i called them, and they said i could bring angus upfront with me for an additional 80 bucks.  we book it.  all in all, the flight for myself and the two dogs, was 500 each way.  i show up at the airport christmas morning at 4 am to catch my 7 oclock flight to fly to st louis and surprise my whole family.....i take 30 minutes to check in, fill out papers, make sure they know everything about cody and know hes nice and to talk to him and love him.....then we walk around the airport a little to stretch his legs and show off his pretty christmas bow....then i take it off, he gets in the crate....and i said ARE YOU SURE HE WILL GET ON THE PLANE?  yes.  ARE YOU SURE.  yes.  the temp was questionable, but they said he would make it. 

me and 3 pound angus take a trip through the airport, walking and getting lotsa attention...th en we find our little B24, and we get a seat and play in it for like 2 hours.  we board, i ask the flight attendants if my dog is on, they say yes....me and angus find our cramped little seat, i take him out of the carrier, we play and he falls asleep for the rest of the flight.  lol. 

i get to the st louis airport, get off and go to get my bags.  my aunt, uncle, and two cousins pick me up and see me for the first time in over a year, were SOOO happy.  they see the puppy and are SOOOO happy.  the kids take him out and are playing with him while we wait for cody to come out.  he doesn't come, he doesn't come...we ask and they say he's on the way.  FINALLY someone listened to me and went to check it.....

ma'am, he didn't make the flight.  WHAT! i'm sorry, he didn't make the flight!  I WAS TOLD HE WAS ON IT!  sorry ma'am, he isn't here.  WELL WHERE IS HE!  we do not know.  WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT YOU DONT KNOW.....YOU HAVE THOSE SCANNER THINGS ON HIS CRATE, FIND HIM.  im sorry ma'am, we can't track those.....ther e is nothing we can do.  WHAT THE F ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!  FIND MY DOG!  the only thing you can do is go home and when we find him, we will put him on the first plane here, and then have him driven to your home tonight. 

lot more was said, but finally a crying, swollen nicki left the airport with only a puppy in tow. 

we spend christmas day (what was supposed to be a great surprise), crying because they lost my dog, and i can only imagine the fear he feels, IF he is OK. 

finally, 11 oclock at night, they call and say he is there.  and that the shuttle cant drive him to our house, so we drive there which takes an hour, and in the parking lot i see him, jump out of the moving vehicle, and run to him.  the kid let me take him out and hug him without a word, which kinda threw me. 

we fought, and after the girl told us we should be happy our planes landed on the ground, they sent us on their way without a promise they would be more careful next time. 

needless to say, two weeks later, the last thing i wanted to do was get on a plane...but we had to. 

i would never fly a dog again, unless he was in first class with me.  i fly coach by the way.

sorry lol.  and p.s.  i know this didn't help....im just sharing my nightmare

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2005, 05:52:29 pm »
WHAT a HORROR story >:(!  It's lucky anybody lived after you got through with them.  "Lost my dog?"  "Wanna lose your life?"  Sheesh!  AWFUL! 

Nikkers, you do have some stories!!!

fmil

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2005, 06:46:30 pm »
What a horrible story Nicki! This is what I am talking about - airlines can not be trusted with pets. I would have screamed my way all the way up the corporate ladder if that had happened to me.  >:(
RIP former BPO