Author Topic: ??? re-potty training an un-housebroken puppy???  (Read 3379 times)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
??? re-potty training an un-housebroken puppy???
« on: September 11, 2005, 06:32:12 pm »
so Nikki is coming up on 8 months old now. in the last month, she's had (1) new set of owners - us, and (2) new homes. in the last week, she's become completely un-housebroken. peeing randomly everywhere except our bedroom/bathroom and having diarrhea all over our living room yesterday (which, i know, in no way, is her fault because of possible gastritis)

i'm re-using Cody's crate for her, but she refuses to hold even 1 iota of a second after being let out of the crate, randomly peeing in the hallway of our apartment, in the walkway of our complex, as well as the carpeted stairways of our complex. this morning, i saw her peeing and walking at the same time once out of the complex.

we tried to use wee wee pads, but it just became oral entertainment for her. ATM, i'm at a COMPLETE loss. how do you retrain an 8 months old 'puppy'? any advice MUCH appreciated as i'm running out of Costco paper towels this week...

GR8DAME

Re: ??? re-potty training an un-housebroken puppy???
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 06:45:30 pm »
I'd have her checked by your vet. It sounds as though she can't help it and could be a UTI, or medical related.
Stella

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 06:48:36 pm »
DEFINITELY get to the vet, as she MUST have a problem.

Also move the crate closer to your doorway to minimize issues.

Good luck, let us know how she is.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 06:56:31 pm »
our regular vet's closed on the weekend, i figured it could be UTI... was gonna make an appt w/ our vet, but he's closed on the weekends. gonna give 'im a call t'row first thing in the morning..

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 10:42:26 am »
Let's us know what the vet says.  Poor you, Poor her!!

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 11:05:09 am »
ugh... we can't take her in until wednesday afternoon.. man! she's not gonna die is she???  :'(

my e'x mini schnauzer died of an UTI... ugh.. BOY dog next time... boys are better! #$@$@

Offline Tippy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 04:16:08 am »
Once the smell gets into your carpet, etc., it is really tough for the dog NOT to go there.  They associate with former wee-wee smells.  It sounds like you have quite a walk to get outside - and she needs to eliminate as soon as she gets out of the crate. 

Diarrhea is tough.  If it's runny - there may be no way she can hold it.   I'm going through that right now.  Medications messed up Katie's tummy and she has the squirts.  The vet recommended plain yogurt to try and restore the flora of her intestines.  Just plain, unflavored yogurt.

Keep her away from places she's peed before when you take her out of the crate - and go as quick as you can outside.  I know that's easier said than done.  And she's tearing up the piddle pads?  Is there anyone to help you? 

Is she hyperactive? 

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 09:14:02 am »
hyperactive.. not today!!! (sick from hookworms + 5-in-1 vaccination shots)...

but yah... we're baby-gating her RIGHT at the door now. the entire house is hardwood, no carpet, and we clean w/ both mr. clean + bleach so it's not a 'smell' problem..

i've eliminated it down to submissive peeing and/or from excitement. as soon as she's feeling better, we'll get back to working on the peeing issue. thanks for the tip tho!!!