Author Topic: All Goofy Newfies in the water! Alright, all dogs in the H2O!  (Read 15197 times)

Jen

Re: All Goofy Newfies in the water! Alright, all dogs in the H2O!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 01:23:23 pm »
Anita,

I love Ship Bottom!  I have such great memories there and so does my waist line! ;)  When I was younger I worked at Joe Pops during season and was on off season I was an ocean life gaurd in ship bottom.  Talking with you brings back sooooooooooooo ooo many good times ;D ;D Since I got married I haven't been back, my husband is not a fan of the sand!   And my biggest fear is a bathing suit since I had a baby 2 1/2 years ago!  I've tried everything but my pregnancy weight won't go away!  Recently they found a tumor in my thyroid which has explained going from a bikini to a tent!  If I could just get rid of weight I would talk my husband into a beach house again!

Jen

Jen,

Glad you enjoyed the slide show.  I sent it to Jaime too, she enjoyed also.  I can understand your watering troubles.  Kelso, the 9 month old is nuts about the hose.  If he even sees you walking toward it, it's all over! The big guys usually wait til I say it's ok before drinking from the hose.  I am sure the fun will begin soon enough when it gets hot enough for a few days to put the kiddie pool out for them.  Last year, late Sept. the pup was young but, wanted no part of the water with his siblings.  You are close that is the Barnegat bay pic near the boat launch in Ship Bottom.  Our house is in Ship Bottom.  

I am sure your Sasha is loving life in your house!  Maybe once she continues to get playing with the water the Pyr will too.

Keep those puppies happy!

Anita from NJ

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 07:48:44 pm »
Where exactly are you from, and how cold does it get in the winter?  I know here in Northern Minnesota I have not met anyone with a cement bottom pool.  They do crack, especially when the temps drop as they do.  The coldest temp I can remember was 140 below with the wind chill, DEADLY.  Most people I know have what I call "Do Boy" pools, plastic liners they drain every winter.  five feet deep , deepest end.  I personally have never put one in as my kids I feel are still to little and even though they can swim, I know the temptation to go in is great on a hot day when we are not home.  I have always feared losing one of them to a tragedy and try to take every precaution.  Let me know what you learn.  Shana
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 07:59:15 pm »
I am too!  I love your picture!  I love to see BIG dogs with children, Mine are so wonderful with our kids.  The picture of Beauty at the lake was tekn just prior to the picture of her in teh water with Nic, my youngest.  It looked like a pose , but was actually her watching them.  I had hollered at him to get closer to shore and she was already in the water.  I keep her on an 8 ft lead at Bemidji Lake because they require leads on dogs, which I wish was not so, mine are excellent off lead, but rules are rules!  I can see the difference between the two breeds , although they are very closely related.  OUr neighbor has Pyr's, beautiful dogs, just like mine! 
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Jen

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2005, 12:13:19 pm »
My fear is the dogs will rip the liners.  We live in PA it gets cold but not THAT cold! We all have cement homes and driveways is a pool different? Yeah I quess you would have to drain it unless ice skating interestes you ;).  We are at the begining of our pool research, I expect this time next year we will be breaking ground.  I am not an impulse pool buyer!  I was a very young swimmer, competeing by age 6 and in states and nationals before I was 18 they have amazing security systems now that can detect if a leaf ripples the water sending alarm signals.  I was an Atlantic Ocean Lifegaurd in my 20's and formally trained in water rescue, I think that's another reason I recently adopted a newfie. They have an amazing history of toddler drowning rescues! And there are these intense paintings I found painted by Sir Landseer himself!

Jen

Jen

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2005, 12:17:50 pm »
Here is another one. I don't know the artist for this one, it might be Landseer.

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 01:15:13 pm »
Thanks Jen! Those are great paintings.

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005, 05:02:29 pm »
*bump*

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2005, 06:38:50 pm »
Awesome painting, I just bought some really beautiful ones off ebay, but haven't recieved them  yet.  I will share when theyget here!  I would definately be worried about the liners.  I honestly don't know how the cement would handle cold and freezing.  You would think if drained in the winter, if it gets cold enough there to do damage it would be fine.  I know some of the cements here can crack from frost heaves when thawing occurs but I am sure that is all manageable too.  I am quite impressed with your swimming history, I loved being in the Ocean when I lived in CA, Pacific Ocean, but not above my head!  Sadly, I am not that brave!  LOL  I did not realize they had such excellent security systems for pools, honestly never looked into it.  We have 5 different natural lakes within 5 and 15 miles from ou r home so cooling off is never a problem.  It would be nice to just go int he backyard and have more privacy though! :D
Storm Jameson

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2005, 02:27:19 pm »
Here is Judge enjoying the FREEZING lake.This past weekend. He didnt go far but seemed to really enjoy himself. The ice just went out about 3 weeks ago and there is still a bit of snow so Im sure it was quite cold.
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline elmo

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2005, 03:16:59 pm »
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 04:01:42 pm by elmo »

Offline romanreign

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Roman Reign Working Dog
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2005, 04:00:42 pm »
My Swissy is a Newfie wanna be.   ;D

Here he is doing a dropped retrieve and picking up some "drowning victims" at last year's OWNC water test.

Jennie
Roman Reign, Work Hard, Play Happy, Eat Well

Nicole

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2005, 03:17:37 pm »
Here's Cabeza....my Newfie mix....at the beach on Lake Michigan. There was still ice, but, he went in for a wade!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 03:21:29 pm by Nicole »