Author Topic: I volunteered with Noah's Wish last weekend!  (Read 5384 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
I volunteered with Noah's Wish last weekend!
« on: September 12, 2005, 11:08:50 am »
My husband, Johann and I went to Slidell this weekend to volunteer with Noah's Wish. Their operation is massive and very impressive. The city has given them a large warehouse and additional property to house cats, dogs, birds, rabbits and even some reptiles - 2 snakes, 1 iguana and 1 bearded dragon.

Johann and I, of course, volunteered to help with the big dogs. There were about 150 in back of the shelter. Our weekend consisited of walking the dogs, cleaning cages, giving loves, setting up more tents and crates as more dogs came in and helping out wherever needed.

We worked from 7:30 in the morning (6:30 sunday morning) to about 8:30 in the evening. It was exhausting, dirty and very, very hot, but I couldn't have felt better at the end of every day. I've never been so hot and dirty and felt my muscles ache so badly without feeling like complaining or slowing down at all.

The big dogs were wonderful - lots of pit bulls, a couple rottweilers - one very sweet girl and a HUGE male who acted tough, but was a big pussy cat. I fell in love with a St. Bernard/Chow mix who was so calm and docile I just wanted to love on him all day. They also had several hounds, german shorthair pointer, GSDs, golden retrievers, labs and lots of beautiful mixes.

On Saturday we got to help set up some pens and care for a bunch of geese, turkeys, chickens and ducks that were picked up at an abandoned house. We were put in charge of caring for them because Johann used to raise geese, turkeys and chickens and we have had ducks before so we had some experience in this area.

On Sunday, I got to help groom a couple of dogs, too. There was always something that needed to be done. There was truck after truck of donated supplies so they are not hurting right now for pet food, bowls, crates, etc, but they are expecting to be there through October at least so I'm sure it won't hold out for all that time. They really need fencing, tents, tools, work gloves, and personal items for the volunteers who are coming from all over the country to help - most of them giving up their vacation time from work to do this - and some who are retired who will stay there as long as they are needed.

They are sleeping in the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) federal building - camping out in office cubicles or under tables in sleeping bags and on air mattresses so any creature comforts they can get are appreciated. There are few stores open in Slidell and many do not have cars so personal items are hard to come by for long stays. On Saturday, Teri Crisp (the founder of Noah's Wish) had arranged for a Baskin Robbins mobile trailer to come hand out ice cream for the volunteers and you would have thought each volunteer had won the lottery with the excitement that caused!!

The money raised by BPO will definitely come in handy for purchasing emergency supplies as they are needed - such as the fencing and tents unless these are donated. Also, as time goes on and the excitement and motivation to donate for this cause is replaced by other current events, they will need to use these funds to purchase items that are needed, but used up. They will stay there until all animals are either reclaimed, fostered or adopted. They do not euthanize any animals simply because they have no place to go. They will keep working until they can place all animals.

I'll have pictures for you soon - if they turn out - I dropped my disposable camera several times while I was being pulled around by the big dogs!!

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: I volunteered with Noah's Wish last weekend!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 11:19:03 am »
Jeanne, I have said it before and I will say it again - you are an angel.  Johann too!  We love ya, and wish we could be down there with you, helping out. 
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 11:27:33 am »
What a commendable thing you did!  It's gotta be heartbreaking. ..but the pets deserve to be rescued too! 

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 12:11:40 pm »
YAY!
Way to go.
You guys are Angels!!!
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 12:27:38 pm »
Awesome Jeanne! Thanks for the report! It really sounds like they're doing a good job.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 03:12:02 pm »
It is so nice to have someone to tell us first hand what is happening there!...Thank you so very much!!...You, your hubby, & all the animal rescue people along with the animals are remmebered daily in my prayers...Are you going back in?...Ty again...I appreciate it very much!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 03:13:12 pm »
You're an angel!! Keep up the good work.

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 03:40:09 pm »
Jeanne,
You are absolutely amazing!  Thank you from all of us up here for all the help that you're doing down there.  *cheers*
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 04:44:33 pm »
I would love to go back every day if I could, but I've used up all my vacation time and Johann is getting ready to trainn for a new job out of town.  I told them if they were still there for Thanksgiving we'd go back. I hope it doesn't take that long to get all those babies reunited or adopted, though.b
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 04:44:42 pm »
YAY!
Way to go.
You guys are Angels!!!

Angels & Heros!!!!  Thank you so much for all you are doing!!! :D :D :D :D

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 05:21:41 pm »
Jeanne, I'm just going to echo what everybody else has said! You and your husband are the best!  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 07:47:08 pm »
I am so happy that someone from BPO can be there to help on the front lines. You and your husband are wonderful people!  :)
RIP former BPO

Offline kcwint

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 04:03:53 pm »
Did you volunteer with Noah's Wish - can you supply details as to how you linked up with them?  My husband & I are hoping to go down to volunteer but I don't know who to contact to set it up.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kym

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 09:26:41 am »
I had e-mailed Kym privately with the answer to this, but in case anyone else is wondering here is my response:

Anyone can volunteer and is welcome to. Only trained volunteers can do the actual search and rescue and some other tasks like triage, etc., but there is plenty to do for the average Joe-Volunteer. All you have to do is show up and work.

If you are flying in, I suggest you fly into Baton Rouge. Even though the New Orleans airport is open now, you will have to drive past Baton Rouge anyway to get to Slidell as the east side of New Orleans is still impassable. For specific directions on how to get to the shelter site, e-mail me off list at lotzapets@earthlink.net.

You do not have to bring any food or water as the City is feeding the volunteers 3 meals a day (not great food, but it's free and good enough) and the shelter has tons of water, gatorade, and pop to drink and they insist you hydrate yourself frequently.

You will need to bring an air mattress, sleeping bags, pillows and toiletries if you plan to stay with the other volunteers in the federal building. They have electricity and shower facilities there - nice ones, too.  Or, you can park a motorhome in the parking lot or near the site.

I would also suggest you bring: work gloves, knee pads (especially if you plan to work with the big dogs - the ground outside is very rocky and it's very painful if you kneel to clean the cages - trust me on this one!), sunscreen, blister pads, comfortable tennis shoes or work boots (there is no more standing water so you don't need rubber boots), rain gear, hats and bandannas.

You will work very hard, get very dirty, be very exhausted at the end of the day and love every minute of it!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 02:51:04 pm »
Really, it wasn't emotionally draining at all. I mean, you see a lot of injured animals, but just the fact that they are being taken care of so well is very motivating.

however, it is EXTREMELY physically draining. By 8:00 every night we were ready to drop. In November, it won't be so miserably hot so that will help and there won't be as many animals there either - I hope.

Everyone volunteering is in such great spirits, though and so friendly and motivating. The most depressing part was leaving. I wanted to stay another month, if I could.

They don't require you have any vaccines before you go there, although I suppose a tetanus shot wouldn't be a bad idea.

Remember, you won't be going out to do actual rescues unless you have gone through the Noah's Wish training so you will just be helping with the animals already on site. There shouldn't be any that need rescued by November, anyway. I would imagine if they are still there in November, they will need help transporting animals to other rescue organizations and foster homes, processing adoption applications, cleaning and packing up, etc.

Jeanne