Author Topic: Need help starting to Leash Train SnowFlake  (Read 10358 times)

Offline Lendy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Need help starting to Leash Train SnowFlake
« on: September 13, 2005, 07:35:06 am »
Hello,
     I need some suggestions on how to start leash training.  Also on how to get SnowFlake to come when I call her.  She is 8 weeks old and a inside dog. I pick her up to take her outside to go to the bathroom.  After she does her buisness she wants to get into  flowers etc and will not come when I call her. Help.
Love my big babies. lol

Offline cincbcat

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Need help starting to Leash Train SnowFlake
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 07:42:30 am »
Hi!  Our girl is 5 1/2 months now, and she's still learning the leash.  She constantly chokes herself because she wants to walk faster than I do.  I stop periodically and make her sit, more so to calm her down and let her catch her breath, and if she is walking right by my heels like she should be, I praise her out loud and give her a treat.  Whenever I want her to come in from being outside, I get down on my knees to her level and call her, because she absolutely LOVES it when I'm down on her level where she can lick and paw at me and knock me over.  I have also taken to using the milkbones to get her in.  But there are times when she absolutely refuses to come in when I do all that, so we end up running around the back yard, me chasing her and her laughing at me.  There are other here with tons more experience than I have, but I'm just trying to find out what will work for us.  Some things work, some don't.  Good luck to you :-)
Rachel

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 09:52:26 am »
I'm not so sure on the correct leash training tehnique so I'll let someone else field that but as fas as getting your dog to come when called...Do not chase the dog...That makes it SO much fun for them lol & it becomes a game...Rather, call (dogs name) & "come" & as you are facing your pup run backwards...Th is triggers a chase response in them & they should follow you...Follow up with praise & a treat...Now, saying that, let me ad that Pyrs have a will & mind of their own & may not always come when called after the novelty of the new "game" has worn off...Your best bet is to work at the calling & running backwards & really really reinforce the postitives (treat & praise) now.

Offline cincbcat

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 10:02:31 am »
I'm gonna try that running backwards thing tonight!  I know that chasing her does absolutely no good, you'd think I would have learned my lesson by now. 

Offline CindiJ

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 10:09:05 am »
The easiest thing that I did with Eowyn when I first got her, i just let her have the pinch lead on, and drag the leash around with her.... that way, when I would go to pick up the leash, it was not something that she was scared of.....Then, once she was use to having it on, I would pick up the leash, and "coax" her with gently tugs to the direction that I wanted her in.  When walking, I just did not let her have enough lead on the leash to get away from me.... That way, she knew, when she was on the leash, that Mommy was in control of the walk, not her.... She was allowed to come, but would know by the "pinch" when she was getting out of line or not where she was supposed to be... That way, there was never any scolding coming from me.... she did her own "scolding"... When she was in correct position.... she could look up at me directly into my eyes and receive praise... when she was out of position.....P inch... but no yell, scold, or fight.... she would just return right back to my side with a "whoops" look on her face....  give that a try... and let me know... I hope that it works for you as well as it has for me.   :D

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 11:34:57 am »
Its great to start training at 8 weeks old, but don't expect soo much, best advice is find a puppy kindergarden. Thier babies till at least 2-3 years old. Then you'll go thru all the different phases & tests your puppy will put you thru. Everyday is a training day for us. Good luck!
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 11:47:14 am »
We are starting to work with Willow on leash training.  I think I am going to get a pinch collar.  She is starting to get so big and control is getting harder and harder.  I also need to get her in class

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 11:49:52 am »

I start little puppies on a retractable lead with a buckle collar.

Use lots of food and verbal encouragement.

NEVER allow a tight lead for the puppy to fight against.

NEVER allow a tight lead for the puppy to PULL against. This TEACHES your dog to pull. The don't start out knowing how to do that. If you NEVER let them, you never have the problem.

The second the pup gets too far out and makes a tight lead, tug back firmly enough to pull the pup back a couple of steps, and IMMEDIATELY drop slack in the lead. Do this EVERY time. NEVER allow pulling.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 03:17:54 pm »
Bella (one of my teenage rescue puppies) was horrible on a leash - pulled backwards, dug in all 4 paws - pretty obviously frighted of it and what might happen if she went anywhere that leash went....I ended up just leaving it attached for 24 hours - just so she could get used to the idea that a leash wasn't a bad thing...then started picking it up close (about 12-18 inches) to her collar and gently leading her short distances & giving lots of praise when she went willingly.  She's better now, but is going to need lots of loving patient training.

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 08:51:09 pm »
All good advice above. If you have a Petsmart near you, thay have a great puppy class.

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 08:48:57 am »
We have Dyson enrolled in Puppy training.  He is currently a little over 3 months.  The class recommends a standard collar and leash.  When walking the puppy, if he pulls you should stop and wait for him to loosen the leash, before you begin again.  If he just stops and won't move,  snap the leash repeatly til he comes.  Do not apply a constant pull for he will think its a challenge.   Good Luck...
Randy & Jennifer Wilkerson
St. Louis, MO

Offline Lendy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 12:37:35 pm »
Thank you for your reply.  She is doing a little better today.  I am really grateful for all the suggestions that you all are giving me . 

Offline Lendy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 12:44:17 pm »
I don't really understand the difference in the collers.  The one that I am using right now is like a choke coller.  It is soft material but if she pulls as she pulls on it, it gets tighter around her neck.  Of course I will not let it choke her.  She seems to be doing ok with that one.  I also am using alot of praise and treats.  Is that the one that you all are talking about using or is it the wrong one.  So many different ones out there. 
Lol  Thanks so much for your replys

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 01:25:31 pm »
We have Dyson enrolled in Puppy training.  He is currently a little over 3 months.  The class recommends a standard collar and leash.  When walking the puppy, if he pulls you should stop and wait for him to loosen the leash, before you begin again.  If he just stops and won't move,  snap the leash repeatly til he comes.  Do not apply a constant pull for he will think its a challenge.   Good Luck...

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

*gasp!*

I would NEVER NEVER EVER advise anyone to "snap" the leash on the collar of a 3 months old baby puppy!!!

Puppies at this age need ENCOURAGEMENT and HELP to come along on the leash.

That puppy is just a baby.

I would STRONGLY URGE you to find a different training class, as these methods are archaic and NOT necessary to train dogs, not even BIG dogs.

:(
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 01:29:16 pm »

I use buckle collars or prong collars for training.

I don't like slip collars for training. They are really not easy to use properly. I don't like doing the "jerk" corrections that are required to use that collar properly. I do use them in the ring, and I understand and have the technique and ability to use one properly, but for novice handlers, they are almost impossible.

These slip collars have to stay high up on the neck behind the ears and up under the chin to be effective.

The leash must be loose so you can get a "pop" type correction going with a slip collar. Most novice trainers find it almost IMPOSSIBLE to keep a loose leash on their dogs, and that renders those collars practically useless except for choking a dog and teaching it how to pull.

I use very little collar correction in dog training, as I quickly move on to offleash work and advanced obedience where the leash is not as often used.

JMO as always. :D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com