Author Topic: PUPPY RAISING 101: a Newbie guide to raising big paw pups Pt 1  (Read 1404 times)

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
PUPPY RAISING 101: a Newbie guide to raising big paw pups Pt 1
« on: September 13, 2005, 11:30:20 am »
Puppy Raising 101
by Rebekah James

Sometimes it seems I counsel endless people on puppy training issues. People ask for help with eliminating in the house, chewing problems, and all sorts of other issues that would be prevented by proper early puppy handling and training. Here is a short synopsis on how to raise a puppy that will be a good canine citizen and be ready for learning all you want to teach him by the time he is 4 to 5 months old.

BABY TALK. The single most important decision you will make is the selection of the breeder from whom you buy your puppy. Take your time, do your research, and choose well. Once you have decided on your breeder, and you know about when your new pup is coming home, it's time to do some shopping. Here's a list of things to have on hand:

FENCING. I cannot say enough about how important good secure fencing is for your puppies and dogs. Invest in good material and have it installed properly. 5' is a minimum height. 6' is better. Gates must always be locked. Rottweilers are heat sensitive dogs. They must have access to deep shade and plenty of cool water at all times.

CRATES. At least 1 for the house and 1 for your vehicle. I prefer the plastic type for the vehicle, and wire ones in the house. If you have several crates in the house, it will simplify your life. I keep 1 in the kitchen, living room, and bedroom when I am starting a baby puppy.

BABY GATES. Get several, they are not very expensive and can really save you a lot of headaches.

PADLOCKS. For all your gates in any yard your dog will occupy. Gates must be locked at all times.

PATIENCE. Puppies and puppy training can be very frustrating at times. Anger has no place in dog or puppy training. If your temper is short, or you are losing your cool, take time out. Put the pup in the crate. Start again when you are feeling better.

RESPONSIBILITY . Owning a Rottweiler is a serious responsibility . Inform yourself. Get books. Talk to people in the know. Surf the net. The more you know the better off you will be. Keep your dog fenced when on your property and leashed when off your property. Train early and often. Encourage manners and friendliness. Spay and neuter your pets. Take good medical care of your dog. Take supplies to pick up after your dog EVERYWHERE YOU GO. Simple grocery bags work fine and fit easily into a pocket. This is one reason why dogs are not welcome in a lot of places. NEVER leave feces lying anywhere.

Puppy personal items....
Collars    BUCKLE COLLARS ONLY FOR THE BABIES!                                            NEVER EVER leave ANY collar on your dog  unless you are training or walking it on leash. Collars, even ones that do not slip, can be deadly if they get snagged on something. Your puppy could easily die. NO collars when unsupervised, and NEVER in a crate.
Leashes    4 ft and 6 ft leather, and 26 ft retractable. You will probably need a 2 ft leash later on during training
Stainless steel bowls      2 quart size works best for me                                                                           
Stainless steel buckets     again I like the 2 quart size                                                                                               
Double end snaps.    These have many uses. I use them for hanging buckets in crates. Get several. Brass is best.     
TOY BOX OR BASKET.  Important. Decide where it's going to stay, and stock it well with                                                          interesting puppy toys and chews.

Now is the time to find your puppy kindergarten class. Find as many as you can in your area. Go to classes to observe. Join the one that has happy instructors, puppies, and handlers. Other criteria that help are advanced classes offered, and the ability to take classes to prep your dog for the obedience ring if you want to do that later.

If  you don't have a regular vet, this is the time to set that up. Visit around. Find a practice and a vet you like, and make an appointment for your first visit. If your puppy does not arrive with a microchip for permanent ID have that done at your first visit.

Now you have your place all prepared with puppy paraphernalia, and the big day is at hand. Try to pick up your puppy in the morning when you are going to have a couple of days off. This will really help the puppy in his adjustment period, since he will have someone with him for at least a couple of days while he is learning the ropes. It will also help you, because there are going to be at least a few sleepless nights with almost all puppies.

Continued in Part 2
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.