Author Topic: Suppliment List?  (Read 4989 times)

Offline graymeiste

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Suppliment List?
« on: December 04, 2005, 06:28:46 pm »
Hello all!

I'm getting a mastiff in a few weeks and am trying to get the whole food plan down.  One of the areas that I was wondering about was the addition of suppliments to the bagged food.  Does anyone have a few of them that are favorites or definitely needed? 

Thanks!

Chris

Offline Winstons parents

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Suppliment List?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 10:36:12 pm »
i would not do any supplements unless the dog is a year(or so old) or something like a surgery happens. defiantly no calcium.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Suppliment List?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 01:59:54 am »
I totally agree with Winstons parents about the calcium, but then I'm afraid they might have a smaller fit  ;)

I do believe in supplements for large breeds in general and giant breeds in particular. As many of you know I have for many many years followed Linda Arndts recommendation s, when I was breeding Danes and had very healthy dogs that lived very very long lives for being such large dogs. A lot of vets will tell you not to start with the supplements until they are older, some wll tell you to start straight away with our giant dogs. Unfortunatelly very few vets have more than very limited credits when it comes to canine nutrition, therefore I have great confidence in Linda, who is a canine nutritionist spec. in large and giant breeds.

I have had Galahad on different supplements since he was a baby boy, not that he is very old now either lol.

When he was about 4 to 5 months we started him on a joint supplement and a combination supplement called 4 in 1 (probiotics,vit C, digestive enzymes) it is all natural and helps out with the parts that are usually lacking in kibbles, even the hollistic ones. He also started diatary enzymes, which are a great help with vaccination reactions, allergies, orthopedic problems, yeast infections and more.

We have now also started him on a bit more MSM than what is in the jointsupplemen t, since he has had a bit uneven growth.

He is now about 10 months, and has for hmmm I would say about a month also been given Taurine, L-Carnitine and Q-10 all those three are a cardiac maint. even though all his family is cardiac tested with great result, they recommend a maint. dose on giant breeds since they have a bit of a tendancy to get heart problems.

He is also getting some veggies and meat every day with his kibbles

I know it sounds like a lot, but when you look into what it does to maintain and help with the common issues we have with the giant breeds and maybe with mastiffs in particular, and especially since most of it are totally natural products. OOps missed the omega 3 lol. He has had omega 3 since he was about 4 months too.

Winstons parents are probably by now having their jaws dropped and think I am a total wacko lol.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Winstons parents

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Supplement List?
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 09:50:39 pm »
no jaw drop we do supplements also(not as Manny just a few joint products) but i just think it is best to do it after a year. but hey difference are what make the world go around. As long as we are doing what we think is best with informed decisions for our big fellas.