Author Topic: Light Weight  (Read 9466 times)

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Light Weight
« on: May 04, 2005, 12:46:30 pm »
Ever since Seamus was sick about a month ago, he isn't eating very much.  He only eats about 4 cups a day.  I know they eat less in the summer months, and it is getting hotter, but i'm worried.  He doesn't seem to be affected by it, he still is energetic and looks pretty healthy.  He seems to be severly under weight to me though.  He is almost a year and weighs about 116 lbs.  His father weighed 170 or so.  I know he is still growing, but shouldn't he be bigger?  He is really tall and lanky, but i'm starting to notice how thin he looks.  He seemed to be pretty much average with his growing and weight gain, and since he had that bladder infection he dropped to about 111 and has only gained 5 lbs in about a month.
Anyway, I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.  Should I add something to encourage him to eat his dry food, or leave him alone? 
I was thinking of adding some canned food to his dry food.  Is there anything better?

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Light Weight
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 02:08:59 pm »
I find that Judge goes through spurts of eating. He is 13 months old and weighs about 150lbs. He really doesnt eat that much. About 5 cups a day, and a bit of snacking. Lately he has been really picky I get worried because he gets to look too thin through his belly. I was thinking of changing his food, maybe he is bored of it. ??? I added some warm water to it today and he really enjoyed that. MESSY!! but he liked it and ate the whole bowl full.
Dont know if that helped at all. Hope so!!
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 02:32:35 pm »
I have a problem keeping weight on my dane, Merlin. I've found that he gains or maintains better if he gets a can of wet food a day, split in his meals. I also break ranks and will give my fur kids a bit of people food in the evening after the humans' supper, if I know that it will not upset their stomachs. Everything from chicken and beef scraps to cooked vegitables and fish has found it's way into their bowls.
I've tried the "quality" canned, like IAMS, but Mr. Picky only likes Pedigree canned or Alpo, and although the others are nutritionally superior, it only works if you can get it in them, so I feed him what he'll eat. I've raised all my dogs from day one the same way, so I've rarely had any upset tummies, but you may want to approach any change in diet very gradually to avoid loose stools.
Stella

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 02:46:39 pm »
I had problem keeping weight on my dane lady too. I have for years returned to the canine nutritionist consultant Linda Arnt, she is breeding Danes, and is extremely good when it comes to giant breeds and their needs. I did write what she is suggesting to feed in another topic "IBD, help" it is under general topics. That is what she recommeds not only when you have a problem alrady but to prevent them. I have been feeding more or less the way she suggests for 15 years or so. I will follow it religiously with our OEM puppy.

But with the problem already there, I would make sure he is not having some kind of bug, that wont go away, or worms??? maybe a vet. trip. But no matter who you talk to about the giant breeds, it is always way better that they weigh a little under what they should than being too heavy, for hips and elbows and a lot of other problems we are fighting with our big guys. And it is better they grow in a slow pace than too fast.

Please let us know how it goes, and please read in the other topic what she is suggesting for feeding, I have the utmost respect for this lady.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 05:36:19 pm »
I had problem keeping weight on my dane lady too. I have for years returned to the canine nutritionist consultant Linda Arnt, she is breeding Danes, and is extremely good when it comes to giant breeds and their needs. I did write what she is suggesting to feed in another topic "IBD, help" it is under general topics. That is what she recommeds not only when you have a problem alrady but to prevent them. I have been feeding more or less the way she suggests for 15 years or so. I will follow it religiously with our OEM puppy.

But with the problem already there, I would make sure he is not having some kind of bug, that wont go away, or worms??? maybe a vet. trip. But no matter who you talk to about the giant breeds, it is always way better that they weigh a little under what they should than being too heavy, for hips and elbows and a lot of other problems we are fighting with our big guys. And it is better they grow in a slow pace than too fast.

Please let us know how it goes, and please read in the other topic what she is suggesting for feeding, I have the utmost respect for this lady.

Marit

Thank you!  I'll see what she has to say.  I never thought about the fact that if he is under weight he may not develop hip/elbow problems.  I was just so excited to have a big dog that I didn't really consider the benefits of him being on the smaller side.  A 116 lb dog is not small by any means! 
Thanks for your help!