Author Topic: Spring is here and so is the hair  (Read 16132 times)

awo

Spring is here and so is the hair
« on: March 08, 2005, 06:35:42 pm »
Okay, spring is here, atleast in colorado and the hair is flying!  I'm to the point where I'm leaving out the vacum cleaner.  I try to brush dudley every day, but it doesn't seem to help, does anyone have any other methods? 

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Spring is here and so is the hair
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 09:48:48 pm »
Have you tried blowing him out with his hair dryer (if he has one)? I know it kinda helps us. Other than that, I'm awaiting any other suggestions too. Bear has now broken 4 vacuums due to hair loss. Grrr....
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

awo

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 07:44:30 am »
I have also gone through 2 vaccums as well, but we just bought a dyson and man does that thing work, I reccomend it to anyone who has animals.

Offline bernie

• Gnawer
  • greetings from mcmurphy's castle
    • View Profile
    • st.bernard kennel of mcmurphy's castle
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 08:07:03 am »
As you can see his hair is nearly gone and I also use a Dyson, the purple one, and for the dog I use a waterblower that really works wonders,it blows cold air but with a lot more power then a hairdryer.
Good luck with the hair  ;)
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds
discuss people."

Offline Viney Dog

• Ankle Biter
  • Raisa-Beautiful.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 08:23:15 am »
Have you tried blowing him out with his hair dryer (if he has one)? I know it kinda helps us. Other than that, I'm awaiting any other suggestions too. Bear has now broken 4 vacuums due to hair loss. Grrr....

A couple of suggestions may help.  You could look into purchasing a "blower" which is used for grooming purposes.  This device blows out cool air at varying speeds, which loosens the heavy under coat of working dogs.  It especially works well after a bath; but beware, this is best done outside if possible, otherwise your house could like like it has freshly fallen snow!  My Pyr will sit and almost fall asleep when I do this with him because it is so relaxing.  My Mal, on the other hand, runs at the sight of the blower and won't get near it.

Second suggestion.... our vacuum cleaner started on fire last weekend, so we broke down and bought the "Dyson" series vacuum cleaner that is specifically made for pet hair.  This machine is absolutely unbelievable.. ....we have gone through many vacuum cleaners the last 20 years of raising large breed dogs, and this vacuum cleaner by far surpassses any other on the market.  I would highly recommend it.  Pricey, yes, but I figure if this will last 5 years, I will have paid less than the combined purchase of 3-4 vacuums over that period of time.  It is also very lightwieght and is bagless; therefore no more bags to buy for the rest of my life.  Good luck!

Offline chiquita_ds

• Gnawer
  • Baby Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 06:12:11 pm »
I purchased a solution called Shed Relief from Petsmart the other day for my St's shedding problem.  Any comments on using this stuff?  It came recommended by an aunt of mine who uses it for her Sheltie.  She said it will take about a month before it begins to work, but I'm interested in hearing other opinions.

Offline connolly

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 12:23:41 pm »
Hi, I could use some help here. The good old hair thing. I have always had smooth coat Saints and when hubby got me a puppy for Christmas he didn't know the difference so rough coat here we come.
I love Seamus with all my heart but I am well aware of how much hair Sassy sheds and she's smooth. A breeder told me males don't shed as much as females ok that's good news I guess. But what is the deal with the blow dryers and what is a waterblower? I gave up wearing dark colors along time ago and all my close friends know to leave their black pants at home but still any suggestions are more than welcome. Seamus is 5 1/2 months and all ready his coat is thick and curly. I'm discovering it's a whole new ball game. The snow sticks to him, he came home from playing in our neighbors horse trough lol and what a sight. He had pine needles stuck to globs of dirt all over him and he was so happy. He looks so pretty when he's brushed and such a fright when he's not. Sas looks same old same old if I brush her twice a week but I can see those days are gone. Where does one get a waterblower and do you blow them dry or only after a bath? I vacuum Sassy and she loves it but I haven't tried it on little guy yet. thanks, connolly
The older I get the less I know

Offline bernie

• Gnawer
  • greetings from mcmurphy's castle
    • View Profile
    • st.bernard kennel of mcmurphy's castle
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 01:46:43 am »
A waterblower blows the water from the coat after washing and after rain,it also blows away lots of dirt and loose hair. The waterblower blows cold air (a little heat from the engine) so your dog does not get hot spots from the heut of the blower.
But the rough coat, if you have a real roughcoat is a lot of work, so I have two roughcoat's and nine smooth.
Good luck with all the hair :D
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds
discuss people."

Rufiesmom

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 05:46:09 am »
We pretty much have gotten used to everything being covered in hair, especially when Rufus blows his undercoat.  I bought some disposable gloves called Sticky Fingers that work great on clothes and furniture.  At least I can pretty much get the hair off of us so we look decent in public.  Our vacuum stays out all the time too.

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 09:33:47 pm »
Without a rake, slicker, comb, vacuum & hair removal stickies we'd be covered in hair!  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline kuvaszlily

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 01:32:40 pm »
Anyone thought of going into the pillow making business???  We've definitely don't have shortage of stuffing.  My groomer told me to draw a bath with warm to hot water...appare ntly this opens up the hair folicles and releases some hair...then bruch and blow dry... she also told me about a treatment that she does that completely removes that second coat...it just falls out..   if anyone's interested I can call and ask her what it's called.

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 04:51:07 pm »
I'd be interested in knowing more about the process. Why would you totally want to eliminate the undercoat? Simply for cooling purposes? Woudn't that cause the  same amount of regrowth problems as regular shaving??
Hugs,
Jaime

nickerbokker

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 04:06:02 pm »
what regrowth problems from shaving?  never heard of anything like that.

i find with the hair ( cody the goldens hair and theres a LOT of it), that taking the vacuum hose and rubbing it ALL over him really cools him off and takes out a lot of hair.  the dog freaking loves it!  he lays on his back so i can do his belly and has the biggest grin the whole time.  and since ang isn't scared of the vacuum yet, i think i'll try it with him soon so we dont develope a fear of it at any point.  OH, and i know it kinda sounds mean, but its not.....duck tape them!  cody loves that too...it started as a game, and now its a weekly thing....when i pull out the tape he freaks out LOL. 

other than that, lots of brushing and lots of scratching them to loosen it up.

Offline CaesarsMstr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 08:50:33 pm »
I saw a brush at petsmart tonight that is suppose to remove loose hair.  They also had one designed specially for double coated dogs.  I haven't used either so I can't say if they work.  They were a bit pricey for a brush, but if they work I say its well worth it.  I will be getting one in a week.  My saint is still a pup but has already begun shedding enormously, so far I have been able to keep up with it though.  Of course, right now he want to be outside during the day hours so that helps.
Rachel

waffles717

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 05:30:51 am »
Hello my name is marylee,and maggie is my Dog,i have been using it since day one on her i also use,missing link,the two of them her coat is unreal no sheading !!! i no hair in my house she gets brushed not but not much come's of,she shine's like your Best pair of shoe's,look for Maggie,!!!she is so,cute,she is from,S,D,she is a Brindel,marylee,,,