Author Topic: How to stop my Neo from pawing  (Read 5558 times)

Offline BABY HUEY

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
How to stop my Neo from pawing
« on: September 14, 2005, 07:56:38 am »
I admit.  I must have failed in the early stages.  My Neo is a year old now.  I have not been able to break him of his pawing habit.  I'm scared to introduce him to any males anymore.  He must have damaged at least half a dozen "family jewels".  I've tried clickers, positive reinforcement, and the holding his paws up until he gets too tired or irritated. 

Anybody else have any suggestions?

Thanks,
pawerful paws

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: How to stop my Neo from pawing
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 10:11:23 am »
No I don't have any suggestions but I have the same problem with Kiya, she's 1-1/2. When I come home from work is the worst. We just did work on our house, a new sunroom with sliding doors, needless to say Im afraid to use the screens. She wont paw the front door screen but when I come out to open the backdoor those paws are going a hundred miles an hour on the glass, the screen wouldn't stand a chance. I open the door & grab her while telling her down.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 10:22:40 am »

1) train the puppy on leash.

2) reinforce the SIT command, making sure BOTH front paws are on the floor each time you reinforce it.

3) set the puppy up in a situation where he is going to paw. WATCH HIM CLOSELY. As SOON as one of the paws starts to come up, put strong upward tension on your lead, and demand him to SIT. As SOON as both front feet are on the floor, immediately release him with OK!!, and whirl him around to face AWAY from the visitor, and food reward him.

4) Repeat repeat repeat.

Reward both front feet on the floor.

Interrupt, correct to the sit with both front feet on the floor EACH time he starts to paw. Then whirl him away from the visitor, sit again, and reward.

Once he is pawing less, you might change your verbal command to :4 on the floor" or something like this.

The main things you need to do are:

1) CONTROL the puppy with your leash
2) TRAIN a CONFLICTING BEHAVIOR (ie, he cannot paw while sitting with both front feet on the floor)
3) INTERRUPT with your leash each time a foot comes up to paw, and demand your sit. Release from the sit with strong verbal praise as you turn him 180 degrees away from the person who is the distraction.

Practice, practice, practice.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline BABY HUEY

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 11:03:25 am »
THANKS,
I WILL TRY THAT.  :)

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 02:25:26 pm »
Red - help?
What about pawing when you're the target?  When I get up in the morning, first thing Bella (8 month old Pyr adopted from SPIN) does is greet me with a paw (ouch on bare skin!).  I give the sit command, and she does sit, but then the paw comes back up & makes contact again (ouch a second time!).  I've also tried catching the paw(s) (I'm watching for it whenever she comes near me) and holding it until she's uncomfortable & tries to draw back.  She's only been home with me for 3 1/2 weeks, so she probably just needs more time....but I'm hoping I won't need stitches before she learns that it's not okay to give a paw unless asked!
-Laurie

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 02:40:47 pm »
Try this, laurie.

Next time you see the paw coming up, gently but firmly take hold of her muzzle, and point it right up at you, gently but firmly, and encourage her gently to put her foot back on the floor.

Wait patiently until she does, and then gently praise her verbally, smiling, while you still hold her muzzle.

If she raises the paw again, say AH AH, lose the smile, and give firm eye contact, until the paw goes down again. Again gentle praise and smile, and good girl.

usually if you try to touch the paw or leg, she will just keep trying to paw.

Pawing is a juvenile attention seeking behavior in puppies. It is usually also an indication of submission, so it's not all bad unless you are in jammies, or good clothes and the paws are muddy. LOL

this is just one thing to try. You can help her as well with a tab on her collar or a leash. Practice getting her to get both front feet on the floor and reward her for that often.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 03:23:55 pm »
Thanks Red!  :D

I'll definitely give it a try!   :)
-Laurie

smohr

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 10:36:08 pm »
 :P  I love getting such good training advice from you Red!  I'm SOOO glad I found Big Paws website!  THANKS!    :P

Offline babs2Sully

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 01:43:53 am »
Thanks for that advice, Red... We have a 2 y/o IW that we adopted in May.  He paws for attention and even does it when you are petting and loving on him.... I have gotten bruised by this

I'll try to idea today when I get in the door....That's when it usually begins!!

Thanks again!!
babs