Author Topic: no UTI (yay!) ripped off by Vet (boo!)  (Read 2975 times)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
no UTI (yay!) ripped off by Vet (boo!)
« on: September 14, 2005, 11:46:52 am »
* nikki is UTI-free. or whatever that means.
* after 2 days on the antidiarrhetic pills, her stool has firmed up.
* after a 1.5 days of fooling her w/ treats, she's stopped peeing right before my door (i'm an obedience training MASTER babeeee, or not...)

the vet sold us (i say 'us', cuz it wasn't ME) a 10# bag of friggin Hill's Precription for $20 advising the food will solidify the poop (yah RIGHT). the Person who took nikki to the vet forgot the cardinal rule of food buying: CHECK THE LOUSY LABEL for corn/soy/wheat. i was so ticked off when i read the label : #1 ingredient corn gluten meal... the Costco/Diamond food is only $25/bag for 40 friggin lbs. cest la vie...

now back to your regular: my-dog's-better-than-your-dog programming.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: no UTI (yay!) ripped off by Vet (boo!)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 12:13:07 pm »

Good things to keep on hand for minor bowel upsets and bulking of stool:

Plain canned pumpkin: Pumpkin contains a lot of pectin and fiber. It will help with loose stool OR constipation. Most dogs like it. Can't really overdose it. I split a can between my 3 on a regular basis.

Slippery Elm Powder: Slippery elm has been used by Native peoples and as a folk remedy for intestinal upsets for centuries. It has an extremely high mucilage content, and if very soothing to the entire intestinal tract. It has a nice nutty sweet smell, and most dogs (and people) like it. It is used sometimes as a flour base, you can eat as much as you like and enjoy it. It cannot be overdosed. Find it at your health food store. I usually put about a tablespoon in the food of a dog that is having issues.

Most any vegetable material is a good stool bulker, and/or will help constipation in dogs. The pumpkin and the slippery elm is a good combination tho, and will have most pups back on the "regular" road fast.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 12:59:58 pm »

Good things to keep on hand for minor bowel upsets and bulking of stool:

Plain canned pumpkin: Pumpkin contains a lot of pectin and fiber. It will help with loose stool OR constipation. Most dogs like it. Can't really overdose it. I split a can between my 3 on a regular basis.

Slippery Elm Powder: Slippery elm has been used by Native peoples and as a folk remedy for intestinal upsets for centuries. It has an extremely high mucilage content, and if very soothing to the entire intestinal tract. It has a nice nutty sweet smell, and most dogs (and people) like it. It is used sometimes as a flour base, you can eat as much as you like and enjoy it. It cannot be overdosed. Find it at your health food store. I usually put about a tablespoon in the food of a dog that is having issues.

Most any vegetable material is a good stool bulker, and/or will help constipation in dogs. The pumpkin and the slippery elm is a good combination tho, and will have most pups back on the "regular" road fast.

Hey Red, do you give the pumpkin by itself, or with food?  Our tummy issues seem to be over, but I want to get some pumpkin and slippery elm powder to keep on hand....

So glad to hear that Nikki is feeling better! 
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 01:14:24 pm »

I usually give it with the food, but most dogs really like it.

If you have one that turns up the nose, a little canned fish mixed in usually does the trick. Mackerel is a favorite around here.

Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

ann

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 01:41:29 pm »

i used the canned pumkin too works great,,i have also heard people put it in ice cube trays freeze it and the dogs love it that way...ann

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 09:01:02 pm »
EastJenn
of course you know costco has their own kirkland brands. the dog kibbles happen to be made by diamond. you can read the detailed ingredients list here:
http://www.mordanna.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=31854&an=0&page=0#Post31854
everything looks good. both formulas have glucosamine which ppl on this board are so worried about. the chicken formula has relatively high animal proten %. and man, the price is RIGHT. we're slowly switching out as of this weekend...