Author Topic: Need words of wisdom from German Shepherd owners.  (Read 7995 times)

Lyn

Need words of wisdom from German Shepherd owners.
« on: September 15, 2005, 06:47:13 am »
A long time friend of my parents owns a 2 year old male GS. They took my advice and went to an excellent breeder. And he is gorgeous. BUT He has one testicle that never decended. The breeder told them that they must neuter him. They agreed at the time, but no papers or neuter contract were signed. NOW they want to breed him to a friends female shepherd. Luckily I have time to talk them out of it since she's only 9 months right now.

I've tried telling them the health risks associated with leaving his testicle up inside him.. so what they want to do is breed him then neuter him. :( So I tried telling them that it could be genetic, even though I'm really not sure if it is. And I mentioned getting his hips checked, I'm not sure what other health screening GS require. They said his hips are fine. I tried explaining to them that's it something you can't physically see.

Basically I was hoping you all could help me talk them out of it. Is a decended testicle genetic? What health testing both parents require? And anything else you feel neccessary to mention to them.

Thanks. ;D

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Need words of wisdom from German Shepherd owners.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 08:36:51 am »
Very touchy subject here.
Personally that is why we wanted Shiloh Shepards instead of GSD's. I love GSD's I grew up with them, unfortunately people like that helped ruin the breed as well as other breeds.
There are many tests that must be sent to OFA & rated such as hips, heart & thyroid.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 09:04:15 am »
Yes monorchids and cryptorchids are considered genetic.  It can be unhealthy for the dog and also make them sterile.  Hips, elbows and eyes should be certified and care taken in the GSD's personality.  Many are being bred that are overly shy and skittish with an extremely high prey drive, making for dangerous dogs.

Another thing is the weak banana shaped hocks that are becoming more common in GSD's.  So hopefully their dogs' hocks are nice and straight.  I saw one at the PetRock Fest this past weekend that almost had me in tears.

The parents' background should be known, since Degenerative Myelopathy is pretty common in the breed.  Sadly it doesn't show up until later in the dogs life, but by then the damage to its offspring is already done.  :(

Faust was from a byb and I live in constant fear of the day when he gets weak in the backend.   A couple of years after I got Faust, I found out that his father was "shot" because he went out in the hindend.  :'( 

Good luck, its never easy dealing with people who shouldn't be breeding. 
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 06:26:35 pm »
This is a touchy subject with me also. Regardless of how their dog looks he has no titles or ever had any genetic testing done. No he does not have banana shaped hocks.. he truly is a beautiful dog. But I'm trying to explain to them that beauty doesn't mean he should be bred. His temperment is typical from what I've read, but I'm no expert. I'm hoping once I mention all the genetic test he needs they will change their mind. From what I remember they are not cheap tests, hopefully it will deter them.

Good to know that the undecended testicle is genetic that did deter them to a degree when I mentioned it. But then they mentioned that the male pups will just have to be neutered. Yeah right just like their dog was suppose to be neutered.

Ok so Hips, elbows, eyes, heart & thyroid. Also Degenerative Myelopathy. I'll search for info on everything and print it all out.

Thank you both very much.

Offline Barongsd

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • OurHouse German Shepherds
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 04:35:35 pm »
monochids and crpytorchids are genetic ... anyone who breeds one should shot!!! ... it's these types of irresponsible back yard "breeders" who are putting unhealthy, unsound dogs out there to the un-informed public .... it just sickens me to read about some idiots who are even thinking of breeding an un-healthy dog .... we have enough health problems in our breed without KNOWINGLY causing more .... people continually amaze me with how stupid and idiotic they can be ...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 06:48:37 pm by Barongsd »
Randy & Debbi Marx
OurHouse German Shepherds
http://ourhouse48183.tripod.com
    Can/UKC Ch ShadowValleys Baron of OurHouse (AKC pt'd)
     Can Ch. ShadowValleys Nora B of OurHouse a.k.a. "Elle"

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 05:36:24 pm »
Just got back from your site and Love your dogs.!
Keep up the good work!
GSD's are loved by many, but understood by too few.
You've got to keep them 'busy', mentally and physically, to make them shine!
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline WhiteShepherdDog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
no need to breed
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 05:57:49 pm »
Congrats on taking the personal responsibility to convince a pet owner not to breed! Good on you!
There are other threads here that point to why NOT to breed this dog or another.
If you don't know the first thing about the breed, how can you even attempt to improve the breed?
MY suggestion to this pet owner is to
1. ) neuter it
2.) develop a relationship with it other than tying it up in the backyard:
 take the dog to a CGC class and then train it to do agility or herding....the n maybe you will learn about the breed! More than likely though, they will give up on this and surrender the dog to a shelter when it is 2 yrs old and untrained!
3.) Take them down to the shelter to see how many 'purebred' shepherds are surrendered when they are 10 months to 3 yrs old.
---
How "excellent" can a breeder be that did not have the purchaser sign a neuter agreement?
Unconscionable to not have a contract...eve n worse that your friend wouldn't take the breeder's advice.
Backyard breeders are a 'sore point' when you see so many dogs suffer and rescue groups are over -run with "purebred or AKC" registered dogs!
If you need an extra buck...have a yard sale- don't breed dogs!
Lymphosarcomas - Breeds of dogs that are at a higher than average risk of developing this disease include Rottweilers, Scottish terriers, Golden retrievers, Basset hounds, and German shepherds. Males and females are affected equally. In dogs, there may be a genetic basis for this disease and, in certain breeds, some families several closely related animals have been affected.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 06:12:53 pm by WhiteShepherdDog »
Regards,
Martha in Texas

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 03:45:22 am »
I really don't know why the contract never was signed. I know there was one though. They did say that the breeder said they could wait and see if the testicle dropped. Maybe that's why the contract wasn't signed?! Although the breeder could have just re-wrote the contract and changed the age that the dog would have to be neutered by. Maybe the dog was sold with breeding rights.. but only if the testicle dropped. I don't know I'm confusing myself now. LOL I'll have to ask them.

The pup was 5-6 months old when they bought him and he's over 2 years old now. And the testicle still hasen't dropped.

I think I have them pretty much talked out of breeding him... now I'm working on getting him to neuter him.