Author Topic: Undescended testicle  (Read 5269 times)

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
Undescended testicle
« on: September 16, 2005, 09:38:53 am »
I have a question.  I am to get a newfie puppy next week.  The breeder has informed me that at the 6 week vet check, he still had one undescended testicle.  Will this be a problem?  I do not plan to show him, in fact, he will be neutered.  Otherwise, he is perfectly healthy and quite true to type.  Just wondered if there were other probs associated with this.
Karen

Icerotti

Re: Undescended testicle
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 11:27:32 am »
What Jenn said is great. Farley had an undecended one too. It did come down eventually. Somewhere about 3 weeks- 4 weeks after we got him.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 01:36:58 pm »
Yeah, it may descend on it's own.

The only problem I see is that it sometimes costs more to neuter a cryptorchid male.  Other than that, since you plan on neutering, should be no future problems.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 07:15:25 pm »
Poor little fella.....only one testi? I hope that for his sake it comes down on its own as it sounds a little painful. Cute avatar too.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 08:38:13 pm »
Thanks for the input everyone.  I am hoping it will come down on its own.  I am so looking forward to a new puppy.  I've been waiting on this little guy for months.  I will get him next saturday.  A four hour drive, but worth every minute! 
Karen

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 02:45:16 pm »
I hope you are getting your pup from a breeeder who does not let them go at 6 or 8 weeks but instead 10 or 12
i also hope that the breeder is going to be there for you when you have tonns of questions.
and also
the testicles should be felt that early if not, you might have one that will not come down, time will tell but... if you are not breeding it is best to just get him nuetered right away anyway, as some stated it leads to cancer if it is retained and doesnt drop
some males have been known to drop at 9 months.
it is not a given.
i also hope for your sake that these pups were not raised from four weeks on in a kennel, barn or isolated away from the house.
i also hope that this pup was housed in the house the majority of the time with playtimes outdoors.
if you are allowed to pick your own pup,beware, in one or two visits, you will never know the pecking order that existed, the breeder does, and hopefully you dont end up with miss or mr alpha pants.
i hope your breeder gave you training tips. becouse, this is a working dog, intelligent and a thinker, problem solver with boisterous personality in the teen years.
this dog is mouthy and will test you.
hopefully this breeder will guide you as you raise this pup.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 02:50:36 pm by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 06:11:16 am »
Good news...... the testicle is down!!!
Karen

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 11:27:55 pm »
Yeah!!! Somethings just take a little more time ;)  Farley was the same ::)

Offline kitty

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 07:25:42 am »
i am a newf breeder in PA and have experienced this in the past...sometim es the testicle will come down and sometimes it won't but if you get him nuetered they need to remove the testicle not descended.  Kitty