Author Topic: How do I get him to stop  (Read 7019 times)

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: How do I get him to stop
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 05:19:59 am »

I can see that right now, Babs.

Smart boy.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Blair

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 05:23:23 am »
Thanks Red...I will try that right away with Zeus.... All I have to do for Grey is say "Drop It" and he does....Now why cant Zeus listen like his "little" brother does LOL

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 05:32:57 am »
We did the 'trade' thing when zoey was a puppy. If she tried to do something we didn't like, we would redirect her with an appropriate toy, and itworked really well. I think it is important to have lots of dog toys around for this reason.

Have you trained him with 'leave it' and 'take it'? Not just leave it, but the 'take it' is equally as important. I don't know if we are just lucky with zoey, but she never really eats anything without our ok, and I think a big part of that is because of the 'take it' command. If I put something on the floor and she goes for it without me saying 'take it', I will remove it, so she has learned to only go for things that I say 'take it' for or else she doesn't get anything. So  she won't put anything in her mouth unless she knows it belongs to her (ie, a nylabone) or we say 'take it'. This even works when I put steak on the floor, which is probably her best trick ;)

We usually leave her in the bedroom while we are gone (there is nothing on the floor but this is mostly because she feels safest there since it is our 'den'). But thankfully, even when we let her roam alone she hasn't eaten anything she wasn't supposed to....So far at least. Knock on wood.  ;D
RIP former BPO

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 10:27:31 pm »
I do the leave it take it trade with Grace too!  She's just really persistant but she has to learn.  :)  she's a stinkpot!

doggylover

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 12:08:29 am »
You can start playing the "trade" game now. It's a great way to teach puppies to spit out whatever they have without ANY struggle.

We play the trade game with Ranger and it works well.  Perhaps TOO well...

He is pretty good about not begging while we are eating, but every once in a while, when we are eating some particularly delicious tidbit, he will come up to us with a toy in his mouth, and kind of gently push it into our laps, let it go, and eye the food... 

His little brain is whirring away, and you can almost hear him say...  "Trade?  Trade?"   :D
LOLOL that would be a great trade if you ask me.  I actually think trading and crating are both good ideas.  We crate trained, and also did the trade game.  Our rotty has also tried to negotiate hostile take-overs for yummies.  They are too smart for our own good.