Author Topic: correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks cruel...  (Read 40339 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks cruel...
« on: September 17, 2005, 08:37:48 am »
I don't know how I just found this website but it makes me want to cry. I have met a few too many Great Danes who hated or were afraid of kids for this very reason. :'(

http://www.dogriderssociety.com/dog_riders_society_photos.htm

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks cruel...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 08:40:47 am »
I get people all the time asking to ride Sanity.  A few elluded to riding Tenchi at Petrock (People who should KNOW better).  Fortunately there's a clause in Sanity's contract that no one is allowed to ride him EVER!  So I just tell people that.  Forget scaring them or anything it's horrible for their legs, back, hips, and joints.  I accidentally ride Sanity sometimes, when he gets between my legs and takes off, and I can tell you it is NOT comfortable or in anyway an enjoyable experience.  Poor babies :(

Ang

ETA and the series of pics with that evil little girl and that poor Dane puppy trying to get away from her just make me sick.  And there's a section on teaching a kid to ride a dog!  AGHHHHH  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I'm writing the webmaster
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 08:47:20 am by Anky »
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 09:07:53 am »
Some of these stories are way off.

"There were 5 kids on different dogs -  me on my 232lb German Shepard,  Tommy on a 243lb Great Dane,  Rob on a 202lb wolf dog,  Nick on a 214lb lab/ golden retriever mix,  and Jess on his 198lb husky sled dog.   We know our dogs weights because we weighed them to make sure it was okay to ride them. "

I'm sure Guiness would love to hear from these kids.......... ..

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 09:12:48 am »
This makes me sad. Why would people do this?!?!? Why would they want to teach thier kids that this ok to do to a dog, is beyond me. :-\

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 09:27:38 am »
Hmmm...I think if they took the time to fully understand canine communication and body language and how TOLERANT dogs truly are of our human ignorance when it comes to nonverbal communication of other species...they would not be "MOUNTING" their dogs.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 09:29:06 am »

*   Does your dog ever mount another dog, or stand on her hind legs with her paws on another dog's back? Sure she's a she, but in dog-think mounting has more to do with dominance than sex. It's her way of saying, "I'm top dog here, and don't you forget it."

Source:  http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2060.html
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 09:31:03 am »
Or, from another perspective... perhaps the dogs perceive the children as "aroused"...now that's a horrible thought.

Quote:

"Oh my word, what is wrong with my dog, they are humping and they've been fixed."  As far as mounting (aka humping) is concerned with neutered or spayed dogs, observations have shown that those (mostly males but sometimes females) who are aroused or excited often times exhibit mounting behavior.  This is referred to as a social overture during play.  It is believed to have nothing to do with dominance or with one animal trying to convey something to another.  Latest research has shown mounting to be a normal canine response that occurs commonly when dogs, especially adolescents, experience emotional states of arousal.
The key to prevention is teaching a dog skills like come or sit/maintain.  For example if the dog is going into a state or arousal, they can be cued to stop the behavior and calm themselves down before mounting occurs.  With the skills you've taught your dog, you will be giving them something else to do besides mounting.  In the event mounting occurs you may need to interfere, but do so very carefully so you do not further arouse the dog or cause the dog to feel threatened.
When mounting is occurring, if you are concerned that one dog is getting annoyed and can not defend themselves or get away from the humper, step between them and separate them with your body.  This is only if the dog has not been taught skills with distractions, and is not responding to your cues.  If the humping dog can not calm down on their own and is bothering other dogs, crate them or pull them aside and wait until their arousal level lowers.  If the "humper" is not particularly bothering the other dogs - let 'em go for it.  Look at it as mother nature's way of giving them an opportunity to practice for sex.
There is evidence that some female dogs exhibit "male" characteristic s, such as marking and mounting, which is believed to be associated with higher levels of testosterone.
Researchers are tossing the whole dominance theory and rank reduction stuff to the wind.  The most recent thought is that humping is simply a social behavior/motor pattern that dogs have.  All it means is that the dog is excited or in an aroused state (they are hyper).  Females do it too.  Dogs do not understand rank because they do not relate to the experiences of others.  They are self aware but not other aware.  They can not understand "you lose, I win."  All they relate to is the present (this feels good) and the past (this was reinforcing and felt good before).
Dogs live in the present, but bring their past experiences along with them to determine how they will respond to present circumstances and situations.  What they cannot perceive is the future or how to control or influence the future. 
Another dog's play style may be too rough for your dog and could end up getting one of them in trouble.  A dog's play style cannot be changed.  If you are concerned with another dog’s play behavior, you will have to manage your dog and only allow them to play with dogs that have mutual play behavior.  You are taking a chance every time you let your dog play with an unfamiliar dog because that unfamiliar dog may misinterpret your dog's behavior as threats rather than as play.
Article Supplied by:
Gina Micciulla
Owner & Trainer
Educating Humans Teaching Dogs

http://www.thepetprofessor.com/articles/article.aspx?id=1878

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 10:28:03 am »
I've seen that site before...I caught my 50 lb. daughter Missy riding Sam one night & explained to her that was a no-no...Though Sam was very tolerant & truthfully I was more concerned with his back & joints than the "mounting" going on...I told her "you can get a ride from Samson after we cart train him & he is bigger...On the cart or sleigh though"! :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 10:30:37 am by GYPSY JAZMINE »

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 12:22:54 pm »
I also left a message on the guest book that if they wanted something to ride buy a pony or a horse
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 01:04:11 pm »
Okay, I have no problem with someone holding a baby on a dog to get a quick pic.  It's somewhat cute.  But even then you have to know where to place the baby.  Up near the shoulders, never ever on the middle of the back.  And by the time the child is 2, they are already too big to be doing that.

But to actaully ride the dog and put all the weight of the child on the dog is just plain cruel.  Most of the kids in those photos are WAY too big to even be trying that.  And some of the dogs are WAY too small to put any child on.  I can't believe the parents think this is okay.

That poor dane puppy.  How hard that must be on his back and legs.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 01:20:45 pm »
I just signed the guest book.  I can't find any negative comments towards the bottom.  They are all good comments, which I made a comment about......... .lol

I checked out the videos.  I gain some solace in the fact that there is 3 videos of the girl and dane, and she falls off pretty roughly in two of them.  ::)

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 01:41:15 pm »
 >:(That REALLY  p#$$#$ me off! >:(
I went to the guest book and didn't find any negative comments, so the Jerk must spend a lot of time deleting them.
We should all get together and just deluge him with comments and our opinions of his stupidity, and also the groups that he has links to.
What do the rest of you think?
He doesn't have a life if he thinks that Dog Riding is "CUTE"!
Tulsa and John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 04:07:12 pm »
I just checked the guestbook and there are a few negative comments at the bottom. I'm sure they will be deleted as soon as she sees them along with the one I added.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2005, 07:01:57 pm »
I would never and have never allowed my children to ride my dogs.   

However when thinking of the weight factor these dogs are carrying a dog who earns a backpack/hiking patch has to carry 30% of their own body weight. For a full grown Dane that could be 46 lbs a Saint or Mastiff far more.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 07:21:41 pm »
I posted this site to one of my Dane rooms and there's an uproar there too.  There have been well over 15 unhappy remarks made in the guestbook and all have been deleted.  I emailed the webmaster.  No reply.  I should have kept the email but I didn't.  Stupid hotmail :(  I was SO way nicer than I wanted to be.  I even suggested if they're that interested in dogs transporting kids, to look up carting.  I did rip into them about that blonde girl on the Dane puppy.  That kills me.  Not in a good way either..

Ang