Author Topic: correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks cruel...  (Read 40341 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks cruel...
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2005, 02:27:15 am »
Welcome!  I don't have a thing to add to this topic....it's all been said much better than I could do, but am happy to welcome you to the group! 

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2005, 02:57:26 am »
Hi, I am also from Pet Owners Forum and new here, all I have to say on this matter is Yes I can see your point on dog riding can deffinitely endanger the dog and the child. I lost my and my best friend two years ago, a 200 lb lab/malamute cross, he grew up with my children and I have to admit yes there were occassions my youngest child did try to ride him but bailey didnt allow it usually by one laying down or knocking my son off, after a couple of times kid got the message nope bailey wont tolerate me on his back, but bailey did allow the kids to grab his tail when swimming and pulled them around, and on some occasssions bailey was known to grab kid by life jacket and pull him into shore, lol along with some little people that werent his people frustrating a few parents lol  anyways I now own a jack who what he lacks in size he deffinitely makes up for in personality, someday I hope to own another big dog  I think cause Bailey was such a snuggle bear .... nice meeting you all I will be back lots 
Welcome to BPO!...We are happy to have you here!!...I'm Chelle & my BIG pawed guys are Samson who is 1 yr. & Pippin who is 7 months...Both Great Pyrenees...I hope you enjoy it here as mucha s I do!!!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2005, 03:03:53 am »
Welcome!
I have a JRT as well (Remmy) and a toy poodle (Bogart) and my new baby Tonka, a great dane.  Everyone here is so great and supportive.  Glad you came! ;D
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2005, 04:56:24 am »
Hey Gypsy,

I asked Sofia to avoid that for now, as there are no "specific" journal articles regarding the phych. effects when riding dogs. We would need to use analogies with other  physically stressful events. First, I'd like to convince them with the proper docs that this is a physically stressful event and will lead to medical problems should it continue. Then once they accept this we can argue from with documented evidence of the reactions of dogs to a repeated stressful and painful stimulous. Although this is a no brainer for most of us...it is not for them. So, we are taking one step at a time....don't want to give them more than they can handle at once now.

Let me know if you think we should start a new thread with Sofia's letter for additional input. We can do that as well as ask for everyone to indicate if they would like their name and town added to the letter. Everyone is welcome once completed to send it to their local vets as well. The greater number of vets who this suddenly becomes an issue for, the greater chance this could be addressed at a national meeting. Happens in dentistry and medicine all the time.

Deena

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2005, 05:27:54 am »
I replyed to this in a p.m....All great ideas!...& ty!!!

nickerbokker

« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2005, 01:06:33 pm »
this thread is too long for me to read....but i just wanted to say that i wrote him a nice up yours letter.  then another one.  it put a smile on my face for the night...can you ask for anything more? 

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2005, 01:25:00 pm »
I'm not going to pick on this guy anymore. We've gained some great friends through his RANT about BPO. I am happy that we have picked up new friends who understand our distaste for his wedsite.
I would welcome him as a member!
But I would like to see the advocacy of dog riding downplayed to the point of nonexistsent!
C'mon Tim!
We've got a lot of Love Here!
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman