Author Topic: correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks cruel...  (Read 40376 times)

Offline Legends & Sassy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Don't Forget To Hug Your Furbaby Today & Everyday
    • View Profile
Re: correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks cruel...
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2005, 11:23:53 am »
Just wanted to let everyone know I have left the Pet Owners Forum group and Dog Riders Society as well....I posted on an earlier message I was done talking about that site but everyone wants to keep dragging it on well I'm done with it so please let's all go on ..
We all have our opinions on the topic but that doesn't mean Mr Tim is going to do anything or not that's completely up to him...

well that's it for me....Please don't hold anything against me for posting this
                                                      DFTHYFBT&E
                                                                            Love & Licks
                                                                                       Legends & Brat

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2005, 12:10:33 pm »
WTG Legends!
I, for one, am so happy that you are no longer a supporter of that site.  I don't think anyone wants to assume that Tim is a cruel, heartless person....we just want him to educate himself on the dangers of that which he promotes, not only to the health and well being of the dogs....but the safety of the children as well.  I cannot imagine Tim, or anyone else involved with the creation of this wants to bear the burden of a child who is injured, disfigured or killed because he/she was taught it was okay to  ride a dog (which in dog language translates to an issue of dominance.) 

Regarding the statements about the local authorities, I have a close friend that is a police officer and I asked him about this.  He told me that they are not trained or instructed on that subject (he said he is not the ASPCA  :P)!!  Anyways, if this was said it was a completely uneducated evaluation.  I have had horses that were were unable to SAFELY carry 30-40% of their weight.  Even if this "sport"  were acceptable...y ou cannot make a blanket statement such as his dog-child ratios.

Anyways, welcome Legends!  I am pretty new here too, but so far everyone is extremely warm and welcoming.

I am kind of a big deal!

GR8DAME

« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2005, 12:18:34 pm »
I'm not posting on the topic, but wanted to extend a simple welcome to Legends and say we are happy to meet you-
Stella, Raven,Merlin and Strider

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2005, 12:27:53 pm »
First off I wanted to welcome Legends as well.  It was my intentiont o write an email last night but somethine else came up that needed my attention and then..... well then I fell asleep.

I also wanted to say don't bother with PETA.  The other avenues you discussed are wonderful ideas, but in my experience PETA is a bunch of loons.  They don't think anyone should OWN pets that they should live free (Perhaps some of you remember members of PETA letting a herd of show dogs loose?).  They have gone to colleges promoting alcohol over milk (Because milking cows is mean and taking advantage of them.)  There are many other instances that I could go into, but I won't.  I'm just saying don't get your hopes up.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2005, 12:34:42 pm »
I am all about a college that encourages alcohol over milk  ;D.....until my daughter goes to college....the n I need to know where the milk one is!!
I am kind of a big deal!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2005, 02:35:03 pm »
Just wanted to let everyone know I have left the Pet Owners Forum group and Dog Riders Society as well....I posted on an earlier message I was done talking about that site but everyone wants to keep dragging it on well I'm done with it so please let's all go on ..
We all have our opinions on the topic but that doesn't mean Mr Tim is going to do anything or not that's completely up to him...

well that's it for me....Please don't hold anything against me for posting this
                                                      DFTHYFBT&E
                                                                            Love & Licks
                                                                                       Legends & Brat
Legends, I am happy to hear this!...& I am really happy to welcome you to BPO!!...I have two BIG paws who are Great Pyrenees...Sam son turned 1 in July & Pippin is 7 months...I hope you'll enjoy it here!

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2005, 03:49:29 pm »
Pardon me, but I can no longer view Mr. Veldboon's adress, which was formerly listed on this thread.  Do you know what city he lives in?  Perhaps someone could pm me so that I can send a letter I am writing to vets in that area.

Sofia

Offline Legends & Sassy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2005, 04:10:37 pm »
We just wanted to say THANK YOU (from Brat Arf Arf) for the warm welcomes....We believe we will enjoy this site and the people here

Is there anyone in or around Indiana? I was thinking of having a gathering..... Please tell me whatcha think of that idea?

For all who are in the path of Hurricane Rita....You're all in our Prayers

DFTHYFBT&E
                                                                      Love & Licks
                                                                 Legends & Brat

GR8DAME

« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2005, 06:52:03 pm »
We are in Chicago, more or less. I think there are some indiana folks around though.
Stella

Offline Legends & Sassy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2005, 07:57:53 pm »
GR8DAME ...Is that a dobie? I love dobies....Was raised around them.....Well I'm 3 hours South of ya i Lafayette....D o you have yahoo messenger? If so my ID is angel_bear_71   Maybe we can get together sometime...
                                              DFTHYFBT&E
                                                           Love & Licks
                                                                      Legends & Brat

GR8DAME

« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2005, 08:08:02 pm »
No yahoo, but you can PM me anytime, just click on my name, get my profile and click on personal message. I check in here off and on every day.
 Raven is  my 9 year old dobie, merlin is my 4 year old dane and Strider is a nine month old dane/irish wolfhound. We have a full house.
Stella

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2005, 01:25:15 am »
Here it is:
September 21, 2005

To Whom It May Concern:

The riding of dogs is currently being promoted by certain people, most noticeably on a website: http://www.dogriderssociety.com, owned by Mr. Tim Veldboom of (unknown town to be filled in),Wisconsin, although there are others.  This website promotes the riding of dogs by children, by posting photographs, videotape clippings, and written stories about these rides.  There are webpages with collections of these, in addition to one about “Teaching a Kid to Ride a Dog.”  Despite the recommendation found on the website that a dog can carry only 20% of its own weight, there are videotape clippings and photographs of large, older children appearing to weigh well over 40 lbs. riding small dogs.  In particular, the videotapes of the pit bulls and the young Great Dane show children riding dogs when they are far too large for their dogs.  Despite the recommendation, the presence of such pictures and videotape clippings on the website can only be taken as approval.
   This, if permitted to occur more than once or twice, could conceivably cause serious damage to these dogs or, even worse, the children.  The Great Dane, for example, shown in the videotapes, does not even appear to have finished growing; if this is the case, his bones could be severely damaged by the trauma of carrying a girl upon his back.  He is also quite nervous and appears to be afraid, a situation in which dogs have been known to bite in self-defense.  Even mature dogs should not have a significant amount of weight placed upon them for any length of time, excepting a properly fitted backpack. (http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1661&S=1&SourceID=47)
   Such actions may even constitute abuse, in the sense of using something contrary to its intended use, as dogs’ basic structure is unsuitable to bear weight.  They differ from animals capable of bearing weight, such as horses, in that their lumbosacral joint is quite flexible and even their backs flex when running, whereas horses have a much less flexible joint that allows far the back to flex far less. [Susan E. Harris, Horse Gaits, Balance and Movement (New York, New York: Howell Book House, 2003): pp. 23-24]  Thus, the practice of riding dogs may result in injury to the animal’s spine.
   This practice needs to be discouraged and spoken against, particularly by those people who have greater authority in the eyes of pet owners.  Veterinarians, in particular, have the obligation to inform their clients of the dangers of such practices.  It is my hope that they do, and that neither dogs nor children are injured as a result of this website and similar ones.

Sincerely,

Sofia Arango

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sofia

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2005, 01:32:22 am »
I like it Sofia. It is very calm and intelligent, with good references.

I can't imagine what the OFA would have to say about all this! I bet they have a lot of medical knowledge on the dangers of dog-riding, too.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2005, 01:35:40 am »
Here it is:
September 21, 2005

To Whom It May Concern:

The riding of dogs is currently being promoted by certain people, most noticeably on a website: http://www.dogriderssociety.com, owned by Mr. Tim Veldboom of (unknown town to be filled in),Wisconsin, although there are others.  This website promotes the riding of dogs by children, by posting photographs, videotape clippings, and written stories about these rides.  There are webpages with collections of these, in addition to one about “Teaching a Kid to Ride a Dog.”  Despite the recommendation found on the website that a dog can carry only 20% of its own weight, there are videotape clippings and photographs of large, older children appearing to weigh well over 40 lbs. riding small dogs.  In particular, the videotapes of the pit bulls and the young Great Dane show children riding dogs when they are far too large for their dogs.  Despite the recommendation, the presence of such pictures and videotape clippings on the website can only be taken as approval.
   This, if permitted to occur more than once or twice, could conceivably cause serious damage to these dogs or, even worse, the children.  The Great Dane, for example, shown in the videotapes, does not even appear to have finished growing; if this is the case, his bones could be severely damaged by the trauma of carrying a girl upon his back.  He is also quite nervous and appears to be afraid, a situation in which dogs have been known to bite in self-defense.  Even mature dogs should not have a significant amount of weight placed upon them for any length of time, excepting a properly fitted backpack. (http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1661&S=1&SourceID=47)
   Such actions may even constitute abuse, in the sense of using something contrary to its intended use, as dogs’ basic structure is unsuitable to bear weight.  They differ from animals capable of bearing weight, such as horses, in that their lumbosacral joint is quite flexible and even their backs flex when running, whereas horses have a much less flexible joint that allows far the back to flex far less. [Susan E. Harris, Horse Gaits, Balance and Movement (New York, New York: Howell Book House, 2003): pp. 23-24]  Thus, the practice of riding dogs may result in injury to the animal’s spine.
   This practice needs to be discouraged and spoken against, particularly by those people who have greater authority in the eyes of pet owners.  Veterinarians, in particular, have the obligation to inform their clients of the dangers of such practices.  It is my hope that they do, and that neither dogs nor children are injured as a result of this website and similar ones.

Sincerely,

Sofia Arango

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sofia
That looks very good Sophia!...You might want to add a few words about the psychological aspect of what it does to a dog?

Offline pod

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2005, 02:20:03 am »
Hi, I am also from Pet Owners Forum and new here, all I have to say on this matter is Yes I can see your point on dog riding can deffinitely endanger the dog and the child. I lost my and my best friend two years ago, a 200 lb lab/malamute cross, he grew up with my children and I have to admit yes there were occassions my youngest child did try to ride him but bailey didnt allow it usually by one laying down or knocking my son off, after a couple of times kid got the message nope bailey wont tolerate me on his back, but bailey did allow the kids to grab his tail when swimming and pulled them around, and on some occasssions bailey was known to grab kid by life jacket and pull him into shore, lol along with some little people that werent his people frustrating a few parents lol  anyways I now own a jack who what he lacks in size he deffinitely makes up for in personality, someday I hope to own another big dog  I think cause Bailey was such a snuggle bear .... nice meeting you all I will be back lots