Author Topic: Great Pyrenees/Anatolian  (Read 10342 times)

Offline Lendy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Great Pyrenees/Anatolian
« on: September 17, 2005, 10:16:09 am »
When I got SnowFlake the owner said that she was full blooded Great Pyrenees/Anatolian, I thought that the other word was just a breed of Great Pyrenees. I don't guess it really matters exactally because I have fallen so in love with her. But would just like to know.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Re: Great Pyrenees/Anatolian
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 10:20:30 am »
I love how they use full blooded when referring to a mix...lol

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 10:39:15 am »
Interesting!...The Anatolian Shepard is one of the dogs that really intrigues me!...You are going to have a dog with a very high gaurding instinct there!...I'm gonna go find the pics of Snowflake cause I really really want to look at them now in light of this! :)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 10:52:03 am »
Does Snowflake have double back dew claws?
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

BabsT

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 01:27:19 pm »
From the pic I have seen, it is hard to tell from that young of an age...One big factor will be as the dog matures...if it has 1/2 anatolian you will see a much higher defense drive...Please be aware of the defense drives of these breeds...they can be very very very serious...it just turns on one day...They will bark etc...but one day, they just get it and they know their capabilites and understand their job

Regardless of her pedigree, she is beautiful!!!!

Offline Lendy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 10:16:12 am »
Here is her picture .  I will take more as she develops.  Thank you all for your great advice.  I love this site.

Offline Lendy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 10:22:19 am »
Snow Flake has double dew claws  on her back two feet.  what does that mean?    I am going to have to go to Hastings and get a book on these wonderful dogs.  Which would you recomend? One on Pyrenees or Anatolian.   :-\  Thank you.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 10:41:40 am »
http://www.akc.org/breeds/anatolian_shepherd_dog/index.cfm
http://www.akc.org/breeds/great_pyrenees/index.cfm

I did not now until I just looked at the standard for an anatolian that they will sometimes have double back dewclaws.  It is a fault in a Great Pyrenees to not have double back dewclaws.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Lendy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 10:31:01 am »
Should a pyrenees have double dew claws on all 4  paws?   As you can tell I am very new to all this.  Thank yo so much for all your help

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 10:52:29 am »
Should a pyrenees have double dew claws on all 4  paws?   As you can tell I am very new to all this.  Thank yo so much for all your help
no Lendy...Double dews on the back feet & single front...btw, you do not want to have the dews removed...it is a very invasive procedure for a Pyr as theirdewclaws are more of a bony attachment then other breeds...I had samson's back dews removed on the advise of my vet & I didn't have the info I have now...I regret it every day. :'(

Offline Lendy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 10:58:30 am »
no Lendy...Double dews on the back feet & single front...btw, you do not want to have the dews removed...it is a very invasive procedure for a Pyr as theirdewclaws are more of a bony attachment then other breeds...I had samson's back dews removed on the advise of my vet & I didn't have the info I have now...I regret it every day. :'(
Thank you so much for all your help. 

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 02:41:53 pm »
Some shots of Anatolian's for you.  They are very similar to Pyrs as they are guardians.  They are dissimilar in that they are shorter coated, come in colors (note the rare brindle anatolian below), and are less human trustworthy than Pyrs. (This is not a critisism, merely a doucmented observation).  They (according to my research) do not bond as tightly with their stock but I would say that less here means by a very small percentage, and they tend to be more active and agressive than Pyrs.  Both make wonderful guardians.
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline b_clark

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 02:52:12 pm »
I am pretty sure my dog is a Pyr/Anatolian mix, although the white Anatolian. We got him from a local shelter and think he is about 2 now. So far he is very sweet and good with other animals and people although he can be a bit pushy when playing with other dogs. He guards of our cats, his yard and me and my husband but nothing too extreme just some barks and growls. We hope he stays his sweet self because he is big, powerful and an escape artist.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 05:05:33 pm »
Some shots of Anatolian's for you.  They are very similar to Pyrs as they are guardians.  They are dissimilar in that they are shorter coated, come in colors (note the rare brindle anatolian below), and are less human trustworthy than Pyrs. (This is not a critisism, merely a doucmented observation).  They (according to my research) do not bond as tightly with their stock but I would say that less here means by a very small percentage, and they tend to be more active and agressive than Pyrs.  Both make wonderful guardians.
Wow!...That Brindle Anatolian is really awesome looking!

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 05:18:55 pm »
He lives in OK Chelle.  Belongs to a friend of mine who also has Esterellas and Russian Ovcharkas (both breeds also guardian breeds from Europe).

1st pic Esterella Mountain Dog (long haired)
2nd pic Russian Ovcharka
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux