Author Topic: puppy training rewards  (Read 4633 times)

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
puppy training rewards
« on: September 17, 2005, 11:46:34 am »

Next week I will have my 8week old newfie puppy with me.  Years ago we used hotdogs for training tidbits.  Seems that might cause some weight probs.  What do most of you like to use for rewards.  First training coming up of course is potty training, then the basics, sit stay, down etc.  I would like to have the right thing on hand.  Gee, I am like a first time mother, toys, crate, blankies, grooming supplies, etc.  It is so hard to wait this last week.....
Karen

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: puppy training rewards
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 12:08:20 pm »
Karen,
I don't think that it will be a weight issue. We use everything with Bear and it has worked. I think that anything in moderation is fine! I can't wait to see pics.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 01:42:54 pm »
We also use liver treats. Kiah loves them! They also have a strong smell to them, so the dog pays attention just on smell alone.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 01:49:05 pm »
Samson's 2nd trainer used hotdog pieces about the size of a finger nail...Pippin is partial to Fruit Loops. ::)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 01:53:16 pm »
If you do use hotdogs use the turkey ones. They're better nutritionally.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 02:36:32 pm »
We tried many different treats and found the key to be that they were small and soft. If they weren't soft or at least really really small then she would spent forever eating them with her puppy teeth, so that made them ineffective... For regular training I usually used little jerky squares (about 1 cm x 1cm) that I bought at the healthy pet store around here because they were small and never went bad so I could keep a little container of them in my coat pocket to go anywhere. For extra special training I would use biljack soft liver treats. To this day, Zoey will do anything - anything - for a biljack soft liver treat. Also, when I had them on hand I would train with little bits of leftover meat or cheese because zoey also loves them and I could cut them up small enough. If your concerned about health, try bits of apple, carrot, etc. Zoey hates veggies, but maybe your dog will like them :)
RIP former BPO

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 04:38:21 am »
Newfs are so easy to please when it comes to food!   ;D

We used hot dogs, but the very best treat we have ever used was chewy/moist yummie chummies.  You can tear them for just a little piece, and just the scent drives them to do what you want!!

www.yummychumm ies.com

Luv

GR8DAME

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 10:14:29 pm »
We used liver treats as well, but the freeze-dried kind. They are hard, but so insubstancial that they almost melt in their mouths, and aren't slimey and won't spoil. My guys will do anything for them, even now.
Stella

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 05:09:18 am »
Again, thanks for the ideas.  I hope to have everything ready by the w/e.  One would think the Pres of the US was coming! I have cleaned house top to bottom, cooked meals in advance, straightened up the gardens and done the yard work.  I even planned my (minor) surgery so I could be off for 2-3 weeks with this new arrival.  I have had a newfie in the past, I can't wait to have another!
Karen

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 11:20:39 am »
I use the Jerky Treats from Costo with Tulsa.
She is so attentive when she knows they're in my pocket.
The Nutritinal value also checks out well.
But like anything else, don't over treat, and don't over do.
Make them work for their treats.
But make them realize when treats are not due.
If they can't perform without a treat, they are not perfoming.
A dog needs to respond to voice, as well as food rewards.
Praise is a Mighty Training Tool.
Love on your dog when they do well, they thrive on the voice praise, the physical contact, almost, and sometimes better than a food reward.
Let them know physically when they have done well, give 'em a hug, roll on the floor with them, and start again. It also makes them feel comfortable to be touched, by you, by their vet, and the children in your house
This is JMO, but it has worked for me.
And...Don't allow your young dog, or puppy, to get away with anything! Be constantly aware of, where,  when, and what your dog is doing, when you drop your guard, kiss the control goodbye!
Dogs are very intelligent beings!
They have learned to control their Masters.
My GSD is controlling the keyboard... I am under her control...all you other dogs...follow my command...
DEMAND More Food, More Treats, And more Pics of Puppies!
More Pics,
More Pics,
Ahhhh ...Im Lost!
Tulsas' Dad
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 08:31:02 pm »

The waiting is brutal, isn't it?

:D

I don't like store bought treats for training. But then I don't feed any "store bought" food to my dogs either. ;)

I like to use soft things that are easily swallowed for training.

I cut things into VERY small pieces. When I use weiners, I cut them up partially frozen. I slice it lengthwise, and then cut into nickel thickness pieces. You will get a LOT of bait out of one hotdog.

I also like string cheese, cut into dime size rounds.

Some people use tortellini, or boiled chicken cut into small pieces.

You can also boil liver and cut that into small pieces.

They key is that it should be SOFT, (not crunchy), and it should be in SMALL pieces.

It's best to keep some cut up in the fridge.

I do use the smallest biscuits I can find as training treats around the house. Dogs all know where the cookie jar is. :D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.