Author Topic: Dog Beds.... what kind?  (Read 14063 times)

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
Dog Beds.... what kind?
« on: April 19, 2005, 10:30:13 am »
Just wondering what kind of dog bed you use....for those of you who use dog beds. I've been told that for large breeds they need to have something with a lot of padding and that they shouldn't spend a lot of time laying on a hard floor. I haven't gotten a big dog bed yet, so Finn sleeps on a couple of folded comforters.  But he loves laying on the hardwood floors. So what does everyone else use?

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Beds.... what kind?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 10:38:22 am »
My 140 pound Newf sleeps on the biggest bed that Orvis makes....and he seems to be very comfortable on it. 

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 10:40:41 am »
Bear has a big comfy bed of his own but prefers to use our bed or the couch for lazy comfort at naptime and the floor for long, deep sleeps.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 10:52:20 am »
With the prices for extra large beds I started buying the egg-crate foam padding, wrap it up in a comforter..wa la we are done. All 3 of my guys go to bed at night in there own beds of thier own free will. If I wake during the night I have to be careful were I step. 2 out of 3 are usually on the hardwood floor or by the door.
Carolyn
Carolyn

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 03:48:41 pm »
I have a great dane 3 y.o and an Irishwolfhound/dane 18 weeks old that we adopted from a rescue, and a doberman. Like you I cringed at the thought of big bucks for a dog bed, multiplied by at least two..(One dog always takes the couch)  Instead, I hit some garage sales and found two crib matresses, and matress pads, with sheets. A little bleach and elbow grease and total cost for two beds, $30.00. The crib matresses are plastic coated, and the matress pads and sheets are washable with ease.
Stella

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
We use the Giant Orvis beds too
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 04:56:41 am »
Hello Everyone,

We use the Orvis beds for our 3 Newfies  too.  It is a giant couch type bed with bolsters on 3 sides.  I think they like the feeling of being closed in or something behind them on the 3 sides.  They were expensive but, they have really lasted and we hope they last a very long time too.

Anita from NJ

Offline BOBI

• Gnawer
  • I'M NOT YOUNG ENOUGH TO KNOW EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 09:13:51 am »
our dogs (bouviers) have a bed, forget who makes them but they are high grade aluminum frame, covered with plastic with a convas middle. they are designed for heavy dogs and are extremely durable. the kennel my dogs came from has like 30 of them and they endure any weather, you can hose them off and she has only had one break in like 6 years. they are edpensive but prevent the knee and elbow trauma large breeds get from layin on hard surfaces.
we also have a toddler bed that i got off the curb for free....haha. its a plastic frame, with a reg crib size mattress.
LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING....    "HOLY CRAP, WHAT A RIDE..."

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 09:25:58 am »
Here we have, probably two of the best kept large dog beds, they never use them!!! Once in while they do, but I think I can count the times they actually sleep on them on one hand. They love the couch (first there gets the corner), at night they either sleep in a bed with us, or one of the kids, or in the couch. When they nap in the day, they seem to prefer the floor, somewhere were the sun is shining in, so they can lay there and feel good, they have to fight for those spots with the cat though. If I am in bed late, I know I will have a problem getting a pillow, or enough blanket, they hog the pillows and put their heavy behinds on my blanket. So I get to sleep half hanging outof the bed with a tiny little corner of the blanket, and maybe maybe one of the pillows. But whatever beds I have had throughout the years they have all been with something you can zip up and take off to wash.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline connolly

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 09:53:10 am »
LOL I'm with you on the pillow and blanket thing. I have a queen bed and Sassy sleeps right in the middle. She waits till I'm asleep of course but I always wake up saying move, move, move trying to pull some covers out from under 170lbs. Then I give up and find whatever corner I can and scrunch under it. Seamus can't get on the bed yet but when his time comes I'll have to seriously consider some different sleeping arrangements. I don't think I could sleep with out their snoring I'm so use to it. Maybe a California King size? connolly
The older I get the less I know

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 09:23:38 pm »
 ;D Too funny, lol.... We have a king size but with me, hubby and three dogs, well not all of them at once, most of the time anyway, since we have children with beds too, or should I say, we have more beds for the dogs and our children get to use them when the dogs let them lol....
But I love the snoring, it is sooooo peaceful, when it is dark and you are the only one awake, and you are tring to figure out who is snoring the most hubby or one of the dogs.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Greytmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 10:08:36 pm »
We lucked out we still had the frame for the XL hammack from our last dog. It just cost us for a new cover. We went to the op shops (Red Cross) and got some old blankets for $5 each. After we got our second rescue greyhound puppy I lucked out to find 2 large outside wooden chairs that had 2 huge pillows on them one for the seat and one for the back. I got them for $20 each chair included. My two either sleep in this chair, the sofa, or the hammack, the puppy usually finds his way onto our bed when he gets cold around 2 am.

Toni, mom of Jessica and Oz
Toni

Greyhounds are great