Author Topic: Throwing US Flag in dumpster  (Read 3051 times)

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Throwing US Flag in dumpster
« on: September 23, 2005, 08:32:36 am »
 >:( Hey guys I really need to vent tonight. Right now I am soo mad at what happened at work today. I am the receiving manager where I work and a couple months ago an assistant manager came back and was going to throw a US flag down the dumpster. This I could not believe this since I am a US Army veteran. When explained in no uncertain terms that he was NOT going to do this  and I let it go to stupidity. But today a co worker came back and was going to do the same thing. It was explained to her that a flag was not going in the dumpster that it was  going to be given to someone to dispose of properly (ie VFW ). She then told me she was going to throw it away. Well needless to say it was not thrown away.  Maybe because I am a vet this really pushes my buttons. My children ahve been taught that you remove your hat and stop talking when the anthem is played or color guard passes by. What is up with people these days ???. Sorry for the long winded post just had to get this off my chest. :(
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 08:37:22 am by dgodden5459 »
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing US Flag in dumpster
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 08:38:33 am »
And you are absolutely right to be furious!!!  As a vet you've put your life on the line and to throw the flag in the dumpster just shows that you are working with some people who are not very well educated!  Stop me before I climb on that soapbox!!!!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 08:47:55 am »
You probably already know this, dgodden, but for those of you who don't, it is actually ILLEGAL to improperly dispose of the U.S. Flag (e.g. toss it in a dumpster). See this site: http://www.usa-flag-site.org/faq/disposal.shtml and its links for more info.

In short, if your local American Legion does not have the proper facilities to dispose of it, the flag should be burned in a dignified manner.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 08:56:21 am »
Our local VFW disposes of flags on a monthly basis and it is done properly and with ceremony, also the Boyscouts do this.
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 10:16:59 am »
I know growing up, we were always taught to respect the flag.  I just don't think alot of people respect the flag anymore and what it stands for.  It's simply a possession in their eyes.

it is actually ILLEGAL to improperly dispose of the U.S. Flag

I THOUGHT it was illegal to simply throw it in the trash.  I'm glad to see they haven't changed that in Congress...... .............. yet.

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 11:55:01 am »
Dgo,
I applaud you for standing your ground on that one!  My husband is currently in Afghanistan with the Air Force and I am an Air Force veteran as well.  It is the smallest request to ask for people to respect the symbol of our country and it never ceases to amaze me at those unwilling to do so.  Good for you!!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 12:02:40 pm »
I no how you feel, I am an Army vet too and my Dad is retired Air Force. People need to start thinking. The way they treat our flag, our troops, our veterans and our president. I just don't know what is wrong with them. If they dilike this country so much why not leave it. Sorry now I'm starting to vent. I'll stop while I'm ahead.

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 12:32:59 pm »
I am from a different generation. A child of the 60's, AND a Viet Nam Veteran.
It's not the symbol, but what it symbolizes.
In the late 60's we were mired in a war we could not win, in a country that did not appreciate our presence.
See any similarities?
John
p.s.
And that will be the end of my political rant.
NEVER, Ever, vote for an incumbent!
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 01:04:13 pm »
I am from a different generation. A child of the 60's, AND a Viet Nam Veteran.
It's not the symbol, but what it symbolizes.
In the late 60's we were mired in a war we could not win, in a country that did not appreciate our presence.
See any similarities?
John
p.s.
And that will be the end of my political rant.
NEVER, Ever, vote for an incumbent!
Yes I do John. :'(