Author Topic: training collar?  (Read 6003 times)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
training collar?
« on: September 18, 2005, 07:22:04 pm »
I am working on teaching Tonka how to walk on a leash...so far it consists of me dragging him.  Someone told me about a "pinch" collar, does anyone know how these work and if this is the right training aid for teaching him leash ettiquete (sp?).  Thank you.

Stacey ???
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: training collar?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 07:29:09 pm »
Have you tried using little treats? Keep them in your hand and give LOTS of encouragement?  Everytime he walks with you and looks up and makes eye contact, slip him a treat!  He'll soon want to walk and you won't have to use a pinch collar unless he tries to pull you....which sounds like the opposite of what you have right now.  Dragging him doesn't sound like much fun for the puppy so maybe try treats and encouragement ;)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 07:34:53 pm »
You are dragging him and not the other way around? Interesting. I use a prong aka pinch collar on Zoey to prevent her from pulling on the leash, but I don't think they would be very effective on teaching him to walk forward. To get them to go forward, I would deffinately use treats and toys for encouragment. In puppy training class I remember them telling us to use a sqeauky toy to  encourage the pup to move forward - you sqeak it to get them excited in it and then when they walk towards it for a few feet them get to play with it. The same would work for treats - if your dog is like mine he will follow a good treat anywhere
RIP former BPO

BabsT

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 08:03:56 pm »
I use a prong on my boy but not as an introduction.. .put the leash on the dog and have the pup drag it around and give lots of praise and little bits of treats...make the leash the best part of the day...

Forcing creates a neg feel...get a new collar and new leash so the dog doesnt associated the negative lead

Offline Jen and Rick

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 08:21:33 pm »
I use a pinch collar on both of my girls.  I've also tried one of those leads that goes around the head and nose...Emma freaked.  Also, we've used a body harness which worked well, until Emma (the problem child) chewed it up.

So, I'm back with the pinch collar and very happy with it.  The important thing when shopping is to get a high quality collar.  Feel the prongs...make sure they are well rounded and not sharp as that could irritate the skin.  The ones I bought are German made and very rounded and safe.  I checked out the collars at Pet Smart once, and I wasn't too impressed with the quality. Our newest collar is "Sprenger" brand, and I love it.  I did a quick search, and lots of online stores carry them.  There are probably many great collars out there, but I've found the German ones to be a better quality (prongs well rounded).

As for getting a dog to walk on a leash, hot dogs work wonders!  Be careful not to feed too many, tho,  because too many hot dogs might cause problems.  One of our dogs (Emma of course) developed pancreatitis towards the end of her obedience class after too many training treats.

Jen

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 08:36:51 pm »
Well... this is all good information, and exactly what I was looking for too.  I don't think I need to change the leash and collar yet, as I have only attempted these walks twice (at about 5 minutes each) so I tested him (after reading the post about that) and he is not scared or upset by the site of the leash or even me putting it on him.  I even tried walking him with one of my other dogs and that helped a little but not much.  I am glad the head lead was mentioned because I almost bought that until i saw how much they cost and knowing that I would have to upgrade the size periodically I figured I was not going to invest in that until he is almost grown (but after reading about your dog's experience I will have to take him to try it on (when the time comes) and make sure Tonka doesn't react negatively to it as well.)  I am glad to know that the pinch collar is more effective for pulling Tonka back as opposed to pushing him forward.  He does have preschool next week but I am not sure if the leash/walking will be addressed.  I am going to try the treat suggestion.... I can't imagine why that never occured to me since he is soo treat driven.  But I assume that once he starts taking me for walks then the pinch collar is a handy tool to have?
I am kind of a big deal!

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 10:00:03 pm »
Welcome, Stacey, my name is Stella, and we have a great dane, Merlin, a doberman, Raven and an Irish wolf hound/dane puppy, Strider. I love your pictures, your pups are all precious!
As far as your dane puppy goes, IMO, a pinch collar is not the answer for you at this time. Try the treats, and definetly do the puppy classes. I would even suggest regular obedience classes when he is old enough as a tool to teach you positive reinforcement, and socialize Tonka. They will suggest the collar that they would like you to use, and teach you the proper use of whatever collar they advise.
Although I do use a pinch collar on all of my dogs currently, I've never used one on a puppy less than 6 months old or less than 60 LBS. They can be harsh if not used correctly, like any other training aide.
As far as training treats, I like the Pro-Treat Freeze Dried Liver. I only use it during training and practice sessions, and they will do anything for it. I bought mine at Petco, but most larger pet supply stores carry some brand of dehydrated or freeze-dried liver treats.
Most importantly though, make him want to come with you, and enjoy the puppy time, it's over way too soon.
Stella

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 10:14:20 pm »
Is he totally dragging behind you?

I'm curious, b/c Gunther tends to lag behind alot on our walks.  Not as bad as he used to, but still does on occasion.  I had to slow way down to help him keep up.  Perhaps you are walking too fast?

Keiko and I are used to a fast pace, so with him we slowed it down, and I also gave a few tugs on the leash and told him to "come on Gunther" in a nice cheery voice.  It was a bit easier for me b/c I used a retractable leash for him, so he could lag a bit behind if he wanted.  I only tugged him up if he got too far behind.  He also tired out easily, so walks were and are still pretty short, but he can keep up much better now, and rarely needs a tug anymore.  :D

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 12:51:09 am »
No its definitely not too fast.  Tonka just sits down and doesn't move at all except when yanks back on the leash.  He has even occasionally done this little bucking move (reminds me of watching a horse being broken lol).  He is only 10 wks though and I didn't want to overdo my attempts or make them too long so I have kept it down to just minutes and then stopped.  I don't remember the other two being this difficult with the leash...Tonka seems to absolutely hate it!  Tomorrow I am going to try the walk with the treats and see if that persuades him to walk....I will keep you all posted on the outcome of that adventure!  :P
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 08:24:59 am »
I love the plastic prong I got for Kiya, the stainless steel seemed to harsh for a little girl.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline jinx athena's mommy

• Gnawer
  • athena is the black one
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 12:29:22 pm »
my little girl athen is the same age as tonka, we got her at 6 wks old and we've been walking her all along.  we use an extenda leash or retractable leash we would walk away from her about 10 feet and than croutch down and call her to use and when she came praise her and give occassionall treats, but athen likes to be around her people alot and didn't want to be left behind she found walking preffereable to being alone, now she love to walk and will try to keep going when we want to go home

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 04:57:19 pm »
Good News!  ;D
I just came in from a walk with Tonka.....and. ...SUCCESS!!  The treats really worked...my treats werent as effective as my daughter walking a few steps ahead of me with a bag of gummy worms lol.  He never took his eyes off the prize and followed her as though he had been born with a leash on!!  The only time he stopped was when some of the neighbors dogs began barking as we passed....but only for a second and he composed himself and began following those gummy worms!  I am going to try again later today and see if he does as well without the gummies in his line of sight!  Thanks for the help!
I am kind of a big deal!

GR8DAME

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 06:40:20 pm »
That's awsome, Stacey. He'll be prancing along next to you before you know it.
Stella

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 07:02:05 pm »
Are you sure he's not a newf! My dog Angus sits/lies down without warning when we are walking, but I'm ready for him now. It was really easy teaching him to walk on the leash, what I found was that he didn't want to walk away from the house but always wanted to walk towards the house, so we used to drive away from the house (myself , my wife and Angus) and then myself and Angus would walk home. Now he can walk away from the house and back.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 07:06:56 pm »
LOL!!!  Cowboy does the same thing!  I keep thinking a got one of those poor old stable horses that we used to rent by the hour to ride.  You coax and plead and beg to go two miles an hour and when you turn around to go back to the stable you'd think it was the Kentucky Derby!  Same thing with Cowboy!!!!