Author Topic: catahoula leopard dog ??  (Read 6928 times)

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
catahoula leopard dog ??
« on: September 21, 2005, 04:28:19 pm »
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about these dogs? My vet thinks that Sadie is a great dane mixed with a catahoula leopard dog.What do you all think? Here are a couple of pics. One of Sadie and one of a catahoula puppy from the internet.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: catahoula leopard dog ??
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 04:41:16 pm »
What a dollface! 

I'd heard about cathoulas from a friend of mine who's grandfather used them to run cattle in Texas when Jim was a kid, but apparently they're kind of a rare breed these days.

There's a registry called the Animal Research Foundation that registers them; there's some decent information on their website.   I ran across the registry while I was doing some research on hounds.  I remember seeing it because Jim always talked about his grandad's dogs like they could walk on water. 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 05:07:15 pm »
My friend is obsessed with Catahoulas. I'll get some info from her for you.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

smohr

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 05:36:18 pm »
 :o  What a cutie pie!!!  I'm sending a "kiss" over the net for Sadie!!  :-*

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 05:39:34 pm by smohr »

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 05:39:06 pm »
TY. Im in Northern Ontario and have never heard of this breed. When I looked up pictures on line I was overwhelmed by the resemblance. We were told Sadie was pure breed Great Dane but to our surprise she turned out to be too short, too stocky and not slobbery enough. LOL Everyone said she was mixed with Black Lab. It seems much more interesting to think she may be part Catahoula.Sadi e was bought in North Carolina so Im guessing the mix could be correct.
Cuttles

smohr

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 05:51:04 pm »
We were told Sadie was pure breed Great Dane but to our surprise she turned out to be too short, too stocky and not slobbery enough. LOL

I had a pure dane, Katie (got her name cause she would come when we called the cats, "Here, Kittie, Kittie," so we had to find a name close enough to Kittie she'd answer to) who was somewhat stocky thru chest, somewhat shorter legs (not much) and her head was bigger than normal.  She was brindle and beautiful.  She got a bit stockier and heavier than a dane and once ran into a woman who saw Katie and said she was a German Dane (thicker boned, stocky with wider chests, but still very tall) as opposed to English Danes (which are skinnier and taller.)  I hadn't heard of a difference in breeds of Danes, but actually found pictures of Danes that were "German Danes" and the difference is how Katie looked and how your Sadie looks. 

Maybe she's a German Dane or German Dane mix with the Catahoulas.

If I can get my scanner to work (digital cameras weren't sold when I had Katie) I'll show you Katie.

Cuttles
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 05:53:10 pm by smohr »

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 05:54:22 pm »
My mom has a lab mixed with a catahoula. It's really fine boned and great at agility. Here are 2 pictures. Sorry they are not very good. Sadie does have some features that Gypsy has.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 05:58:17 pm by Tajsa »

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 06:05:32 pm »
Your mothers dog is very pretty! We know for sure that Sadie's mother was Great Dane! It is the father that we did not see! So she does have some features of a Great Dane.  She is deffinately an original thats for sure!!
Cuttles

GR8DAME

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 07:13:57 pm »
Cuttles, I think I have Sadie's twin  at my house, the opposite way though. His mom was for sure an irish wolfhound, and Dad was a mantle great dane. The resemblence is startling.
Stella

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 08:26:18 pm »
I can imagine it would be hard to figure out since both catahoulas and danes come in merle.

Catahoulas aren't all that uncommen in the southwest, where they are sometimes used in hunting.

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 09:02:50 pm »
TY. Im in Northern Ontario and have never heard of this breed. When I looked up pictures on line I was overwhelmed by the resemblance. We were told Sadie was pure breed Great Dane but to our surprise she turned out to be too short, too stocky and not slobbery enough. LOL Everyone said she was mixed with Black Lab. It seems much more interesting to think she may be part Catahoula.Sadi e was bought in North Carolina so Im guessing the mix could be correct.
Cuttles

I LOVE Catahoulas, but they vary a lot depending on breeders. Some are smaller like Australian cattle dogs, some are taller and lankier and look sort of like field style Labs.  My asst. manager at work has a Catahoula/Border Collie mix she's a 50lb dog with a short coat, pointy face and merle and white markings.

My Earnest is Lab and Great Dane, I'm sure because I saw both his parents.  He's Dane build, tall and lanky, maybe a little stockier, but with a very Lab face.  I got really interested in this mix because of him, most of the ones I encountered the Lab side didn't reduce the size much.
When he was a pup our vet said she would have sworn he was pure Catahoula, I'm sorry I don't have puppy pics (didn't have a camera).

He's the merle dog in my avatar, here's a black and white that really shows his build, he's about a year in this pic, so he's not quite mature, he's filled out a little and gotten somewhat taller.

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 10:10:54 pm »
OK!!! Now Im totally baffled????? LOL Its kind of cool to see so many different mixes look so much alike! I find it very interesting! It really doesnt matter what she is mixed with its more my curiosity than anything!!! :-\ I wouldnt trade her for the world! She is the most loving dog I have ever owned and she is very smart and very obedient....an d and and I could brag forever ....but I wont!!he he
BUT I will own a pure bred Great Dane as soon as I find the right one! Soon I hope! Sadie needs a big brother !!!They are very hard to come by here in Northern Ontario aside from paying a small fortune for one!
Any ideas on a good reasonably priced breeder?
Thanks a bunch
This site is great and sooooo much fun!
Cuttles