Author Topic: puppy food  (Read 6856 times)

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
puppy food
« on: September 21, 2005, 03:01:23 pm »
I have always used ProPlan dog food.  I just got a 20 pound bag of the  ProPlan large breed puppy food, and now I have this niggling in the back of my brain that says maybe I am not supposed to use large breed puppy food for Newfies.  Has anyone ever heard of this, or am I just being paranoid or just remembering wrong.  (the latter happens a lot!) What do the rest of you Newfie folks feed your Newfs?
Karen

Kiahpyr

Re: puppy food
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 03:05:56 pm »
I feed Canidae dog food. It's for all life stages. Kiah is doing very well on it. She's a pyr. I know others here who feed Canidae also.

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 03:16:06 pm »
I feed Chicken soup for the puppy's soul mixed with Chicken soup for the adult dog , mixed half and half. Moose has done great on that and Fwirly loves it too!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 03:43:51 pm »
I started with ProPlan for Chester (my now 7 month old Newf)(large/giant breed) and he started itching all over.  I took him off and he's now on Eagle Pack large breed puppy.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 04:46:40 pm »
When Bear was a baby (until about 10 months old) he was on a mix of Natural Balance and Eukenuba puppy. He did great on it but since then we have switched to lots of different brands are now feed strictly Solid Gold Mmillenia kibble with the Natural Balance meat roll.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 08:55:51 pm »
Most good breeders specify what they want their people to feed, they guide them thru the most critical growth periods with diet instructions.
did your breeder give you specific directions?
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline yogibear

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 07:25:09 am »
Yogi was also on Pro Plan large breed puppy food, and he too broke out in the itchies all over his body....it was terrible. Now he is on Flint River doog food (all natural, no by-products , baked dry kibble) that gets delivered to my house once a month. It's very good quality dog food and very convienient!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 07:30:05 am »
That sounds good!

I don't get the ProPlan thing.  Chester's breeder recommended it and wanted me to keep him on it even after I told him the itching was driving him (and us, since he sleeps in our room!)crazy.  He's doing fine on Eagle Pack but I've heard good things about the Flint River as well.  Chester still occasionally itches....has all the itching stopped for Yogi?

Offline yogibear

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 07:48:04 am »
You know.......he seems to itch on and off all year long!  :-\
When he was itchy as a pup (on Pro Plan) he actually broke out in a rash with puss pollips all over his body. That has stopped since I switched food, but his on and off itching continues..... ......

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 08:04:41 am »
Hmmm.  No answer there, I guess.  Cowboy's food is fresh cooked meat and veg and he NEVER itches and never has stomach problems but I don't feel right about giving that diet to Chester while he's still growing so fast.  I'll probably switch him over at 24 months.   

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 08:31:38 pm »
Allergies can be determined by testing them i wouldnt go thru life guessing, go get allergy tests so you have solid answers :)
as far as food, i am very surprised here, so many good breeders are aware of growth related problems and that CHD is NOT JUST HEREDITARY
my own vet who was highly opinionated that it WAS
is now leaning more towards many contributors, one being diet.
Those breeders who TRULY care about the pups they produce, only sell to people who are coachable and willing to write to them weekly with updates and questions on diet and growth.
there are far to many questionable breeders who dont care once that pup leaves and money is in hand, they dont care....
very sad that people have to find out thru others.
the first person who should coach u on what to feed is your breeder.
Photography by Christine

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 10:51:29 pm »
Sarne, I agree.  I just think that sometimes there is a gap between what worked in the past and what we've learned in the last few days!  The argument has been is "the major pet food manufacturers want your dog to live so it's in their best interest to make good food" is what I was told.  That does not address the quality of that life.  So, as an animal lover, it is my job to figure out what works for my dogs. 

You are right about allergy tests.....I'll have to look in to that!  What is CHD??

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 11:07:42 pm »
CHD is canine hip displaycia, or joint disease, same thing people suffer from to.
;)
Photography by Christine

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 11:38:31 pm »
Oh, yeah, dysplasia.  Yep!  We've been there with our first Newf!  And that's what was explained to me by the orthopedic surgeon who did Otis' hip replacement.  OFA excellent parents can have pups with dysplasia.  There are NO guarantees. 

Offline Roxy Poxy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 12:55:22 am »
Roxy is one of the pickiest eaters when it comes to dog food...not picky about human food, but almost snob-like about dog food!  We put something in front of her, and she'll turn her head away from it, as to say "Tsk, tsk, you silly human. Can't you see that I am not at all interested in what you are offereing me?" Since her Addisonian crisis/trauma she has become even pickier.  After trying almost every dog food around, we found Flint River Ranch, which is conviniently delivered right to our door!  Roxy will eat the trout and sweet potato dry (without us mixing "real" food into it), but only if we feed it to her on the floor, on a towel spread out like a place mat between her front paws.  What a brat!  Since being on Flint River, she rarely if ever, itches and scratches....n ot even close to what she was when she ate Pro Plan, Eukaneuba, iams..etc.  It seems that the humans in the house ae less itchy too, since starting Roxy on the Flint River.  Hope you find something that works out for you and your baby!