Author Topic: Totally off topic - LOST anyone?  (Read 14220 times)

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Totally off topic - LOST anyone?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2005, 04:48:23 am »
They aren't after Walt because of his gender. 

They're after Walt because of his 'talent'.  There's something 'psi' going on with the kid.  Think back--the bird that flew into the window when he was reading about it, the polar bear showing up when he was reading about it; picking up the knife throwing from Locke so fast--that stepfather, Brian told Michael that he wanted him to come take Walt home because there was something strange about him.  I'll bet we get a flashback sometime soon that shows Walt being mad at his mother, and she dies in an accident.

Remember, this place was established to do research, including on human subjects and communities.  There's no way they leave out the whole psi thing from their plan. 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2005, 04:48:58 am »
I can't remember if Danielle's baby Alex was a boy

It was a boy
RIP former BPO

GR8DAME

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2005, 05:34:29 am »
Not literally to procreate with... but to train.Like Magician's Alcolytes, Like cabin boys were on the high seas. LOL I musta put that way badly. Sorry the thought process wasn't clear.
I didn't consider the psi thing in there, tho.
Stella

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2005, 09:40:31 am »
Whew, I can finally read this thread........ ......I have to copy Lost and watch it the next day since I have practice during the show.   :-[

I too thought that maybe the "others" are the people watching the other stations and have gone mad. 

I'm wondering how long it will be before the groups reunite.  You know they are going to drag that out.  If the others were killing off the tail people, why did they stick around there?  Why not move to another part of the island?  The others haven't killed anyone from the front half of the plane.

How big is the island really?  It must be huge for no one to really have run into each other yet, or seen signs of each other.  And these others........ ........I believe it mentioned last season that they were returning or they're coming or something, which leads me to believe they were either not on the island the whole time, or perhaps were inside one of the stations.  Where were they before?  Do they move from station to station, or island to island?

I'm not very good at this guessing what will happen next stuff.  But I guess it lets me be surprised as to what happens next.

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2005, 10:09:28 am »
Well, I didn't watch last season, and I missed one of this season's episodes, but here are my thoughts...

NoDog, maybe it isn't a ship that gives them food, maybe it's delivered by plane and is just dropped off.

And maybe, like Jack said, this whole execute button thing is a whole big mind game. Maybe the others are monitoring them... making them live in fear... kinda similar to "The Village"...

But I have no idea what happened last season, so I dunno if I'm off or not  :P

and what's with this polar bear???
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2005, 10:31:29 am »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, did any of you notice (probably did, everyone seems to be much more aware than I am of things........ ..lol) that on the film that Jack and Locke watched there were polar bears?  I'm not quite sure what that has to do with what the point of the stations.  From my understanding, and I could be remembering wrong, they were for the scientists to live in to research and live in a eutopian environment.  Why would they need polar bears?  Did the incident mentioned in the movie have anything to do with the polar bears?  Perhaps the monster is a horribly mutated polar bear that they did genetic tests on............ ....lol   ;D  ;D

And what exactly are Sayed(sp?) and Jack looking for?  Why do they want to get thru the concrete?  For all they know, it could have something to do with why there was quarantine.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 10:32:03 am by ZooCrew »

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2005, 11:44:53 pm »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, did any of you notice (probably did, everyone seems to be much more aware than I am of things........ ..lol) that on the film that Jack and Locke watched there were polar bears?  I'm not quite sure what that has to do with what the point of the stations.  From my understanding, and I could be remembering wrong, they were for the scientists to live in to research and live in a eutopian environment.  Why would they need polar bears?  Did the incident mentioned in the movie have anything to do with the polar bears?  Perhaps the monster is a horribly mutated polar bear that they did genetic tests on............ ....lol   ;D  ;D

And what exactly are Sayed(sp?) and Jack looking for?  Why do they want to get thru the concrete?  For all they know, it could have something to do with why there was quarantine.

Anyone want to hear my crazy theory?  I spend way too much time thinking about this. 

The original test sight was compromised years before by a radioactive materials spill.  Hence the 8' thick concrete.  The island in turn became a very large magnetic field.   Thus jamming radar and attracting planes towards the island.  The old man in the video was the crazy man in the loony bin.  He saw and lived through a little too much.  He was reciting the numbers that identified the quarantined bunker over and over.  The bunker was quarantined due to the radioactive material and hurley's partner eventually died from exposure.  Hurley was taking daily shots which I think was to prevent him from getting sick due to exposure.  That is possibly why he was running so quick from the bunker.  The "others" IMO are some of the former scientists that were exposed and left to live on the island to avoid mass contamination.  One of the side effects to radiation poisoning is halucinations and altering of the mind.  So basically everyone on the island has been exposed.  I still have a few details to work out, but I'm beginning to think that this island was an experiment gone very wrong. 

One more thing, I think the execute button is a self detination device.  I think that they timed that it would take approximately 108 min. to fully escape the island.  Just a guess though.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 11:46:55 pm by lilysmom »
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2005, 04:21:08 am »
I think the polar bears were just ONE of the species that the film showed that they were planning to do research on--it wasn't mean't to necessarily be Utopia, but just an research community that wasn't anywhere near any "people" to complain about them. 

Sayid told Jack that the only time he'd ever seen concreting like that was at Cherynobyl, so I can go with some kid of nuclear power plant.  But I don't think that totally dead--after all, it's powering the bunker. 

The code/execute button is a dead man switch, I think, rather than a detenator.  Whatever power source is under the concrete is set to blow up only if they DON'T put in the code and push the button every 108 minutes.

You noticed, didn't you, that 108 is what all the other numbers add up to right?

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2005, 11:34:26 am »
what if.....they were doing genetic experiments on the island and something went wrong?  Wouldn't that explain why a polar bear could live in a tropical atmosphere?  What if they started doing the experiments on humans and something happened?  Maybe that's another theory.  I don't know, but I can't wait for Wed. to find out more.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2005, 08:00:17 am »
My boyfriend and I were talking about it and we decided that the 'incident' could be related to the 'black rock'. Those pirates had to land on the island sometime, and if they did it and attacked the staff, maybe that was the 'incident' that made them decide staff has to constantly check in. If this is the case, maybe the medicine is to prevent black plauge or scurvy or whatever diseases pirates might carry.

Our other theory is that the 'incident' had to do with radiation exploding or something, and the medicine is to prevent radiation poisoning.
RIP former BPO

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2005, 07:42:13 am »
Well...I've been watching my DVD's, and I'm not altogether sure that the Black Rock is necessarily a pirate ship anymore.

Here comes my obsession with Patrick O'Brian novels now...

See, it LOOKS like a two-decker ship, and I counted at least 6 gunports on the parts that we saw, which is only about the back third or less lof the ship, and which would be matched on the opposing side. 

If my estimate is correct, the Black Rock is at least the equivalent of a 5th rate ship of the line, with perhaps as many as 42 guns, not counting any stern chasers, and a minimum of 34 guns/cannons.

Pirates were rarely that big during the age of sail, because of the number of men required to CREW a ship that size--nearly 230 at full complement.  Pirates tended to run cutters and smaller ships that were overgunned in order to keep the booty shares down.

So my guess is that this is a Royal Navy vessel that was sold out in ordinary and put to work as a transport or a merchant vessel.  Merchant would make more sense given that there was dynamite--there's no reason for a transport to be carrying dynamite, much less a navy vessel,  even one sailing under a letter of marque.

And merchants VERY often carried women aboard, whereas Navy ships didn't, which is critical.

If the Others are related to the Black Rock, they've been there for at least 100 years, perhaps as long as 180.

Unless of course, the set designer just though this was a cool looking ship, in which case NONE of this applies...

I'm SO Lost.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2005, 09:19:56 am »
Blast... I'm not going to be able to watch for a couple of weeks  :(

You're all gonna hafta keep me posted!!!  ;D
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2005, 10:05:28 am »
I thought that ship belonged to the french woman and that crew of scientists that got stranded there?  Didn't she say it ran aground?  That's how she knew where to find the dynamite.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2005, 09:58:48 am »
Alright y'all, let's talk about this weeks episode... any thoughts?
RIP former BPO

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2005, 10:17:50 am »
I have a wuestion.  Why didn't they say "Next week?"  They said "In three weeks"  Are we not going to have LOST until then?
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."